Secrets

Written in response to: Write about someone losing their lucky charm.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Mystery Fiction

Everyone is getting ready for Peter and Jiya's wedding, and they just finished building a new house. The wedding will take place soon, and the couple will then move to their new house. Jiya is an extremely superstitious young lady; as a result, she has stocked their home with fortunate charms and shows a keen interest in purchasing additional ones whenever the appropriate holidays and celebrations roll around or they go to locations where such events take place. Such actions were part of Jiya's family's traditions. Peter, however, does not share Jiya's beliefs but agrees with her wishes. She took extra precautions by placing an amulet of protection around Peter's neck. Now that they have moved into their new home, though, things should improve. Shortly after Peter and Jiya move into their new home, the doorbell rings, but when they open it, they find no one there, only a present. Though Jiya was initially unsure of who had purchased the present, she quickly decided to keep it after realizing it was a metal object with a significant symbolic meaning. Jiya was so happy that she decided to place it on her front door. But then Peter was in a vehicle accident and sustained serious head injuries. As if that weren't bad enough, he was laid off, so now they're on the road. It's a disaster for the couple's relationship. Peter is a heavy drinker, and their arguments are frequent. Their parents heard it like it was the wind when Peter and Jiya told them the news. Worries about their children's futures are shared by both sets of parents. Because Jiya's family places stock in the supernatural, they urge her to bring the present, but when they see the metal object, they are terrified. When Jiya's mother asked who had given them the gift, Jiya said she couldn't see anyone matching the description. The parents are once again terrified, and flashbacks occur. About 1600 B.C., in Thailand, Prince Malinga was slated to succeed his brother as king. But things have changed drastically since Malinga went lost in the woods on the eve of his coronation. People around the province are anxious about their new monarch. It was later revealed that a witch was responsible for Prince Malinga's death since he had an evil spirit. Saddened by the news of the prince's death, no one believes he possessed ill intentions. Multiple accounts of the occurrence circulated, but no one believed any of them. Everyone in the community went to a saint who lived in a cave to find out why the witch had killed their would-be ruler, the prince. The holy man closes his eyes in order to comprehend the cause. He'll open his eyes and tell a tale very soon. This man proves to have done wrong, which is why the witch decides to take his life. The people turn on him and demand he tell them the truth again. To a time when there were fewer people Akhil Maheshwari and Siya Maheshwari fall in love, and they plan to get married. However, Akhil is a sneaky jerk who ends up getting Siya pregnant, then runs off with another woman. Siya's anguish was too much to bear, so she took her own life. Since then, her kid has reincarnated repeatedly in an effort to track down the person who brought him into the world and then abandoned him. Bad luck comes to Peter's family via the Metallic staff he crafted and keeps in his house. In the same way, he gives a similar gift to a different individual, the witch who uses this metal to murder Prince Malinga. Everyone was on edge for a while, wondering who left the present outside of Peter's house. Everything returns to normal after Jiya gets rid of the obnoxious object. Kelly, who happens to be Peter's ex-girlfriend, tells the whole story. She is terrified of this present because it was given to her by someone, and she has put it in Peter's front door out of envy and deceit. She eventually commits suicide by hanging herself since karma is a bich. Since she represents Akhil's final incarnation, this elixir will evaporate into thin air. And after he's done right by his mom, Akhil's son is able to finally rest in peace. We shouldn't hire strangers for the sake of superstition, as some forms of magic have the potential to cast harmful spells on your property. Despite our convictions, we need to put in the effort. Due to her strong beliefs, Jiya is on the verge of destroying her own house. In the wake of what happened, Peter and Jiya uprooted their lives and moved to Las Vegas, where Jiya is now living as a different woman. She gave up trying to prove the validity of her beliefs to the benefit of her loved ones and her career. Peter was reinstated to his previous position. He gives up the booze, and Jiya and Peter put an end to their bickering. Jiya is on the balcony, reading the entry she made in her diary about the traumatic event that took place between her and her husband several years ago. She won't have to wait long before Peter calls her from the kitchen. She then proceeds to the kitchen, where she and her partner share a passionate kiss before retiring for the night in anticipation of a fresh start the following day. This dairy is burned and discarded by her. Just as Peter and Jiya are about to escape the scene, both of their parents perish in a vehicle crash. They had two sons, now 16 and 20, who were a blessing. They are familiar with the event, but only in the sense that it occurred in the past. She almost lost her family as a result of Jiya's reckless actions, but she never told them about it. There's no such thing as a fortunate charm; all of our efforts add up to success in the end. Of course, this is only a story, and not every family has as much luck as Jiya and Peter did. In light of this, we must abandon our superstitious tendencies and accept only what can be backed up by evidence.

January 12, 2023 13:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.