A Brick Two Story Home

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Creative Nonfiction Fiction

The child turns the door for the last time before turning away, allowing the new family to begin bringing in their boxes. The brick two story home seemed lost without the child that had lived in it for so many years,that the house had loved for so many years, it had watched the child grow. 

It watched the parents pack everything into their car, The house remembers when they first bought it. They were high school sweethearts fresh out of college. The husband was a therapist and the wife a doctor. Both were thrilled when they saw the two story brick house. They got it for such a good deal, the old man that had lived in it before was looking to sell it so he could move into a smaller home for himself and his dog. 

They decorated the house with bright colors, the husband even painted a mural in the living room of an old weatern scene of two cowboys having a stare down. An odd thing to paint in the living room but the couple loved it. They made it into the perfect home. 

A few years after they moved in they found out they were having a child. They were ecstatic, changing the spare bedroom into a Lion King themed nursery. There were lion stuffed animals everywhere you looked. Simba, Timon, and Pumba were painted on the wall with the words Hakuna Matata painted in bright yellow letters over the picture. When they had the child the lion king became the house’s favorite movie. The family watched it every chance they got, singing along with young Simba as he dreamed about his future role as king. The child’s laughter rang through the house like a song. The child holding on to their stuffed Simba as the movie played on the flat screen in the living room

As the child grew the family added a swing set in the back, the child having not a care in the world. The family made sure the child’s needs and wants were met, some say the child was too spoiled and others say the child was loved. Great cooking was served and love was in every corner of the home.

People came to visit the child, always bringing gifts and stories to share. The child was never lonely, someone was always there to entertain or there to just sit in silence as the child napped. Music was played all to the child’s delight, the child slowly learning the tunes to all the disney songs. Their favorite being go the distance from hercules

There was never a dull moment in the child's life. 

There was never a dull moment in my life. 

There was never a dull moment in my short life. 

I stare at the window that leads to what used to be my room. I stare at my mother, the tears falling down her face as she drives away. My now eternal body resisting the urge to reach out to her, to call her name. 

I was loved, even as the sickness ate away at my body everyone made sure I was happy, even if they knew my time in their life was short. My nursery was brightly colored to distract me from the hospital bed that was installed, to distract me from the IV that hung from a pole. 

I never really used the swing set in the back, I did when they first got it but I soon became too weak to hold on properly. They bought me everything I could want because they knew I could only want for a little longer. 

Most of my visitors were what I now realize were doctors and nurses, Other visitors were family. They sat with me, played with me, for what I now realize was them saying their goodbyes. 

As my laughter rang through the house I now realize that I was the long one laughing. As I smiled as I sang disney tunes others sang along with looks of sadness and regret. Why would they look at me with regret? Did they regret having me as their child? Did they regret that they couldn’t help me?

No, they regretted that they took my early years for granted, that for the seven years I walked among them they regret that they didn’t make more memories when I was healthy. 

Why couldn’t I realize everything sooner, maybe I wouldn’t have taken everything for granted. Maybe I would have wanted materialistic things less and wanted my parents more. 

My parents, they had to watch as I withered away, they had to watch me as I was consumed by my Illness. They spent every waking moment making sure I thought I was ok even If they weren’t ok, even if I wasn’t really ok.

And now I float here, staring at the place I once called my home, saying goodbye to it one last time before I descend into the beyond. Saying goodbye to the place that watched me grow, the place that watched me grow weaker and weaker and weaker until I could grow weak no more. 

This place, even though it has no soul, still felt sad watching the only child that lived in it fade away slowly. It listened to my laughter, my song even though the house knew I would be gone before long.

The house has no soul but still I say goodbye. 

“Goodbye two story brick house, Goodbye lion king nursery, Goodbye swing set, Goodbye cowboy painting, Goodbye.” I say these things out loud knowing full well no one could hear me or see me. For I am now a memory of a child that was loved and happy. 

For I am now a sad memory that will haunt the thought of those who loved me. 

For a am a sad child who was loved, who will now fade into wherever fate takes me, wherever fate decides. I can not return home so I must ascend. 

June 13, 2021 18:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.