1 comment

Funny Friendship Fiction

Sally sat in the corner of the library, with her nose in a book. She wore glasses and wore a sweater with jeans. She looked like the textbook definition of a nerd. Books were scattered across the table, and there was a notebook with notes laid open in front of Sally. Tap tap tap, her pencil sounded like she was admitting mores code. Hours went by, and Sally never stopped writing. Tap tap tap, the sound echoed through the library. 

Once she was done, she packed up her things and gathered the library books in a pile. She had already checked some out so she could take them home. She walked to the front of the enormous library and ditched the books she didn't temporarily own. 

She marched down the empty school hallway with a stride. Her messy bun was undoing, but the girl ignored it and continued to march all the way to her apartment. She shared with a roommate, but she never got to see them. Sally ditched all of her 'nerd' clothes in favor of pajamas with a tired huff. 

It had been a few months since she started college, and she was so ready for school to be over. She was studying to become an event planner. She didn't really need to get a degree, but it certainly gave her a leg up on her colleges. Her room was an organized mess. Everything had a specific place, but to an outsider, it was as if a tornado came into her room and then left a disaster. 

She was going to have her first client tomorrow during an internship. Her professor told her he was laid back but picky with certain details. Her professor described the client that reminded Sally of a spoiled rich boy with a reputation for being consistently late. 

The following day, Sally dressed in nice clothes, then she gathered her materials for the meeting she was going to attend today. She arrived at the room to see a man with sunglasses. Sally groaned in her head; he was going to be one of those people, the ones who think they are cool by wearing sunglasses inside.

The man wore a suit and had his hair slicked back from his face. He wore gloves, and his face was blank.

    "Hello, my name is Sally Penbrook. I will be helping you design the space you decided as well as help you plan for your event," Sally introduced herself. 

    "My name is Mason Greenbell. Thank you for working with me," the man said while looking in her direction.

    "Just to be sure, you do not want to view the space while planning?" Sally asked.

    "No, I brought pictures for your reference, but I already know what the space looks like," Mason informed Sally.

    "That is perfectly fine. I only wanted to be sure of your choice. Shall we begin?" Sally asked, sitting near Mason. 

  The meeting went surprisingly well. Sally thought he would have been a stuck-up jerk, but Mason was calm with explaining his wishes. Sally made many comments on the color and the placement of specific items. Mason wanted her opinion as much as possible, which was strange to Sally, as most clients usually dictated what they wanted in a particular space. Mason never once looked at the reference photos. He either stared ahead or looked in her direction. She wondered if there was a purpose in wearing the sunglasses. 

    Mason was a rich boy who was given everything at birth. He asked for anything, and his parents would get him what he wanted within a day. If he asked for an island, he was given it that afternoon. If he asked for education to be changed for his benefit, his parents found personal tutors that guided his learning. 

    Mason usually wore sweatpants and lazy clothes since they were more comfortable. He also had a personal butler to help him pick out the perfect clothes. His butler was very passionate about matching his clothes. Mason did his best to be a good son and person. He knew he was very blessed, so he tried to do everything in his power to bring happiness to the people around him.

    He had a few friends that were close to him. Mason once pretended to be normal and made friends like ordinary people. The truth eventually revealed itself, but his friends didn't react how he expected. They didn't ask for money, gifts, or lavish things. Instead, they asked if he still wanted to be friends with them since they were peasants compared to him. He was glad he could be normal around his friends.

    One of Mason's friends was turning 21 this weekend, so he wanted the party to be perfect. He decided to hire a personal event planner. While he could have asked his parents to put everything together, he wanted somebody closer in status to his friends to help him. If he asked his parents, they would get him a planner who helped Princes, Princesses, Queens, and Kings. 

    Mason also wanted someone closer in age to him and his friends, so he decided to hire somebody who needed internship experience. He didn't go through the official channels, but he still went through a process. He approached a professor he knew from when his parents were looking for tutors. He approached the professor and asked if a student wanted an internship experience.

    The professor was thrilled and offered him help from a girl named Sally Penbrook. The professor told him that she was a hard worker who had her shortcomings in school. The professor said that she typically was a low grade earning student who only recently decided to work harder for school.

    Mason went to the meeting thinking he would meet a bold, harsh, and eccentric girl. He got a welcomed surprised that she sounded invested and cheerful. Mason was glad that he had her pick out the colors and placements. 

    "As we conclude our meeting for today, I wanted to finish up with a rude question, if that is okay with you," Sally asked him.

    "Sure, what is it?" Mason asked.

    "Why do you wear sunglasses indoors?" She asked.

    Mason laughed loud, and it echoed through the small room. Mason heard Sally huff and grumble at his reaction.

    "It's because I'm blind," Mason said through his laughs.

    "WHAT!? Really? I didn't even notice," Sally shouted, "I thought you were some stuck-up rich, cool boy who thought it was cool to wear sunglasses inside."

    "I thought you would be some party girl who would give subpar advice," Mason stated.

    Sally laughed, "I do like to party, but I'm more of a nerd now."

The two laughed over the situation. They both were wrong with their first impressions, but it still brought laughter. 

January 30, 2022 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Howard Seeley
22:58 Feb 09, 2022

Hi Cool Lmi, Welcome to Reedsy. I enjoyed reading your story. A couple of notes for your future submissions: Try using a good hook on the first sentence. Example: The library was filled with people, all sitting comfortably near each other, except for Sally, who was crouched over a book in a secluded dark corner. Secondly, don't always tell what people are doing. Show them. Example: Instead of: Once she was done, she packed up her things and gathered the library books in a pile. She had already checked some out so she could take them home. S...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.