0 comments

American Drama Crime

    The Movie Caper

Suzanne Marsh

“Attention ladies and gentlemen, the lights will be off for the next fifteen minutes due

due to a rolling black out. We urge each and every one to stay seated and as soon

our electricity is restore we will turn on the lights so you can leave.”

Jane glared at Jack, she had not wanted to go to the movies tonight; she had wanted to go to the musical that was taking place at the high school.

“FIFTEEN MINUTES, JACK FIFTEEN MINUTES WE HAVE TO WAIT HERE FOR THE

LIGHTS TO COME BACK ON. I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM, ANY BRIGHT

IDEAS?”

“Gee do you think you could be just a little louder?”

“Ha ha I like to broadcast it all over the theater. Hey I need to use the bathroom.”

Jack began to wish he had never taken her to the movies tonight. How embarrassing could she possible be? He hoped he did not have to find out. Jane hated waiting and sitting in a darkened theater and of all things having to use the bathroom. Jane had a big mouth there was no denying that. The question upper most in Jack’s mind was how to keep her entertained quietly until the lights came back on.

Jane in the mean time was becoming louder and louder. Suddenly an usher appeared, flashlight in hand:

“Madam are you the one who needs to use the Ladies Room?”

“Well now what do you think sonny boy?”

“Yes, I need to use the Ladies Room.”

“Please follow me.”

“Okay Lurch lets go.”

Jack thought: ‘well at least when she comes back she will have gone to the bathroom. Who knows maybe she will even behave for a little while. That would be wonderful.”

The theater began showing cartoons. That was all Jane needed:

“Is that the best they can do?”

“Awe Jane you like cartoons.”

“Yes but I don’t want to watch any now. I want to go home.”

“We will once the rolling black out is finished.”

Jane’s voice was getting louder:

“Look lady these people are doing the best they can hush up.”

“Jack are you going to let that man talk to me like that?”

“Yes, Jane, he is right; they are doing the best they can.”

“Oh for heaven sake Jack don’t you ever think for yourself.”

Jack at this point had enough of Jane’s complaining:

“Look Jane I am sorry the movie was not up to your expectations.”

“I thought it would be a good movie for fun. You remember what that is?”

“Of course I remember how to have fun; this is not it.”

The lights began to flicker; there was hope they would stay on. However that was not the case they flickered once, twice then back to complete darkness. Jane stumbled as she backed into the seat.

“Ouch! I just hurt my knee. Jack when are we leaving this place?”

“When the lights come on and stay on and not before.”

Jane sank to a new low:

“Hey folks does someone know how to play that organ?”

A small white haired woman stood up and made her way to the organ:

“Mam I played this organ when it was brand new I think I can still play it.”

“Oh that would be wonderful maybe a sing a long.”

“Yes, I believe we can do that?”

She stumbled toward a piano that was hidden behind the curtain. Jane then realized that the organ was electric, good heavens everything was electric except for the piano. The white haired lady began to play “Happy Days are Here Again” Jane thought she would like to vomit but then everyone began to sing. Maybe things were going to improve she thought. Things did not improve Jane soon discovered; the white haired lady could only remember one song and Happy Days are Here Again was it. Now she was totally bored, so she decided to try another tact.

“Hey, when are we going to get out of here?”

It seemed like a good question to ask, but that was not the case.

“Lady all you have been doing is belly aching for the last fifteen minutes.

Now hush up.”

“I am not belly aching; I am protesting being held here against my will.”

That ruffled the theater manager’s feathers more:

“Look lady we are doing the best we can with what we have. Just sit down and

be considerate of the people around you.”

Jane sputtered; that was the wrong thing to say to her:

“Now look you old fool: I have sat here waiting to leave. All I want is to go home.”

“We can not let you or anyone else out until we have lights we don’t want

to be sued.”

“I won’t sue your theater I just want to go home.”

Time was taking its toll on the entire establishment. Jack and Jane sat quietly for several moments before Jane had an idea.

“Hey folks our piano player was great but how about we have a sing along ourselves.

Any suggestions on songs we can all sing.”

The entire theater stood up and began to sing:

“God Bless America”

Jane stood there with her mouth open but nothing coming out. That was the last song she would have thought they would sing. When the audience was finished the lights flickered once again. There was something very wrong here. The rolling black out was not what it seemed apparently. Jane and Jack saw a rifle in the hands of a man up in the balcony. Fear began to take hold of both. Jack pulled Jane down on the floor where they took fire. The gun man began to shoot first over their heads then he found his range and began to shoot victims. The lights came on; there stood a man in black from head to toe. Jack and Jane laid on the floor for over an hour not daring to move. Finally, the manager of the theater stumbled onto them:

“Folks are you all right. The police swat team arrived, took out the shooter. We

are safe. He did kill two people however.”

Jane with all the strength she could muster decided that it was safe, the great movie caper was over. Jack and Jane went home with their lives, all was well.

May 25, 2022 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.