0 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Suspense

06/09/2000

[Friday]

Dear Diary, 

Yes you read that right. It's me again and I'm here to complain. My life has just been one inevitable series of unfortunate events. Yes I'm not perfect, yes I may not be the best or the most determined but HEY I'm not the worst person to ever walk the earth. There was Hitler and yea. I'll admit,  how did their song go again… OH YEA! “ Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby!” I just wish I could find a way out of this suckfest. Life still sucks and my sister is still a complete- 

“MADDY ! Did you put greasy little monster hands on my new low rise jeans??” 

She had interrupted my train of misery busting my bedroom door open.

“No she-witch I didn't touch your ugly a-”

“HEY HEY HEY. What is going ON here”. My dad did his best to maintain somewhat of an order since mom died. Sometimes I like to think that she's sitting right next to me, or watching over me or something. It gave me some peace of mind and gave me hope that maybe one day things would get better. 

“Dad she's totally been rummaging through my stuff looking for clothes because her clothes make her look like grim reaper. Jealousy at its finest” Clairy out bursted.

“Alright Clairy gimme a break. Maddy stay out of your sisters stuff and Clairy take it easy, I said lights out twenty minutes ago you should be in B- E- D Gwen Stefani.” I couldn't help but laugh. I looked back at my dad and right before he went downstairs he winked at me. I resumed writing my thoughts in the diary my mom had left me. It was crimson red, covered in a collage of pictures and newspaper articles that inspired her. As much as I despised Clairy, she was everything that I'd never be. She's everything that I wanted, and unfairly enough she got every good part of mom thought she didnt deserve it. Its like all the good genes got passed to her just because she's older. She had her sandy blonde hair, her angel blue eyes, her irresistible smile, and her optimistic demeanor. Clairy had a way with people just like mom and because of it, she got everything she wanted. She had the entire high school wrapped around her perfectly manicured little finger. She got the boys, she got the grades, class, style, and most importantly the popularity. 

“LIGHTS OUT I SAID IT'S ALMOST MIDNIGHT!” I didn't know how he did that. He was all the way downstairs and somehow he just knew. I shut the cover of my diary and slid it under my U2 pillowcase. Every night I liked to sit in my window seated cushion and gaze out at the stars. This was when I would talk to mom and beg her to help me with everything that had been going on. I didn't have much time tonight but this was more important than anything else so I made the effort.

I miss you mom. I wish- I wish- I wish you were here to make it all better. Just as a tear began to fall down my face, I saw a shooting star. It was that shooting star that reassured that she was here, and she was always here, looking out for me, looking out for us. 

I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes and slipped into bed. I glanced at my Red Hot Chili Peppers alarm clock, 12 o'clock on the dot. I closed my eyes and drifted off into oblivion.

[ Next Morning ] 

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”. God Clairy's screams could be heard by the people in China. I could barely even open my eyes, the alarm clock haven't even turned on yet and somehow it was possible that she was already having a meltdown. I got out of bed and began walking towards her. Clairy's room was right across from mine so I wasn't much of a journey, once I felt the change in the floors I opened my eyes to find me in from of ME. 

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.” I couldn’t believe what I was looking at … ME? She was me, I was her?

“Okay whatever type of sick prank you’re pulling this time Maddy it's NOT funny.” Clairy screamed out. I was at a loss for words, I didn't even know what to say. I stepped in front of my mirror covered in chem stickers and began admiring the way my body filled out my sleeping gown. My hair was so soft, well her hair anyways. “ DONT TOUCH MY HAIR FREAK” Clairy blurted.

“Alright, this one better be a good girls. I haven't even had my morning coffee yet.” I could hear dads footsteps approaching. I pulled Clairy, well me, well her, by her oversized stained white t shirt and said “ Don't say a word before dad thinks we finally lost it and ships us both off to the nut house.” We locked eyes, and she nodded. 

“What seems to be the problem here?” This was usually the part where Clairy pins the situation on me. Just as she was about to step forward and open her mouth I realized that the power was finally in my hands. 

“Maddy put another gator in my white diamond powder.” I said. 

“WHAT NO I DIDN-” Clairy began, but my dad had cut her off.

“Alright thats enough, both of you get ready for school NOW! LETS GO! MOVE IT! MOVE IT! Breakfast in 10!” He stormed out the room and began preparing for school sendoff. 

“Listen here you little-” Clairy started.

“Little what? Because from the looks of it, it appears that between you and me, the only thing little here is you. I don't know what this is, or how long its going to last but whatever it is, Im going to enjoy it.” I winked at Clairy and watched her stomp her stumpy little feet into her room, well my room... and throw herself into the bed. 

I stepped back into the mirror continuing to admiring myself. I looked so good, and I felt even better. I had never felt this way before. My closets were filled with top of the line clothes, my room was so big I could raise a whole farm in it. My phone was buzzing nonstop every five minutes from friends. I looked over at my nightstand just to remember that Clairy’s 16 and she had her own car. I looked back at her bedazzled body length mirror and smiled.

This … is going to be… the best day of my life…

June 09, 2021 16:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.