The Bearer of Rainbow and Rain

Submitted into Contest #112 in response to: Write a story where something magical happens when it starts to rain.... view prompt

4 comments

Fantasy Bedtime Coming of Age

CW: suicidal thoughts


Frank Dove was staring at the sky for the last ten minutes. He was sitting on a slab made of steel on the top floor of the 26-story building. Few drops emerged from his eyes and rolled over his cheek. He then looked at his palms, maybe, trying to find the unfaithful fate line due to which he was in that situation, so alone on the floor of a high raised building if he jumped from there then the demise of him was sure. His life was miserable unto this point, and he was sure that his life would be more miserable ahead. He had been always normal in every aspect of life. He always minded his own business, not meddling with others. Still, this stage of life befell him. He had always been one of those guys who helps others, even if the other guy is rude to him on previous occasions. He always had a heart of gold, but when the time came, no one helped him in his sticky situations.

           The sore point in his life was his inability to lie, but as an insurance agent, his superior always forced him to lie to clients. He had always found some way so that he might not need to lie and evade the situation with clients following honest paths, but since the last two claims, he could not find other ways around. The company had to pay in full the last two insurance claims which resulted in his decreased rating before his boss, Rave Ronson. Rave was over fifty years, a little stout man. He had a perfect score of denying all the insurance claims coming before him, so he became superior soon after joining the job. He had warned Frank not to settle further claims unfavourably for the company otherwise he would get a pink slip. But he soon got another insurance claim where the husband died in an accident and the wife needed money badly as she had no job and two daughters to care for.

           The same hopeless situation extended to his personal life as well. His honesty has resulted in him being separated from his wife Melina Dove. Melina took their only son with her. Melina was an attorney in a private firm where she had an affair with her boss, and she went to live with him.

           These two incidents within a weak were the reason of him shattered to the core. He was able to somehow cope with the situation at the office but at home his situation was unbearable. He had become solitary. Solitude was destroying him from within. Today he cleared all the claims of the lady and after that he had lunch. At about 02 P.M he came to the roof where he was seated now.

           It was solitude on the top. Sometimes planes were hurling past piercing sky with the roaring sound of its engines. He was sitting calmly there but his innermost part was filled with a volcano of unbearable emotions and contempt over this selfish world. He was unable to understand why a man can not be true to himself and true to society. Why a man does not help others in need and foremost of all why honesty doesn’t pay in this wretched society. He was perhaps too mild to be in this harsh and cut-throat society.

           Some more time passed, and the sky was filled with clouds now. Slowly and slowly, it was becoming dark all around but at a distance, sun rays were still able to pierce the heavy cloud covering and were able to touch the ground. Soon it was raining cats and dogs. He was completely wet now. But his head became somewhat lite after getting covered with water. His apparel was dripping still he was sitting in the same position. After some time, the heavy powering of rainwater converted into drizzling and a rainbow appeared at distance. He slowly turned his gaze toward the rainbow and stood from his seated position. He walked slowly beside the boundary of the roof and started staring at the rainbow. The rainbow was calming his nerves and providing him with some divine kind of bliss. He felt as if he was being filled with some sort of positive vibes. He kept on staring at the rainbow for some time.

           Some more minutes passed but he was still looking at the rainbow. He felt that the end of the rainbow slowly got lifted from the ground and started moving toward him. The tiny, tiny drops of rain were giving him the feel of some sort of heavenly bliss. The end of the rainbow soon collided with him dispelling all the raindrops around him. The bright colours of the rainbow forced him to close his eyes momentarily.

           Within a few seconds, everything was calm. There was no rain, neither the rainbow. He was perceiving twinkling lights with his closed eyes. When he opened his eyes, he was astonished to see himself amongst the stars. He was standing in the sky. He was able to see stars twinkling all around him billions of light-years away as if he was floating in the sky. A man in his thirties having brown skin colour and wearing a completely white coat and pants appeared in front of him.

           “Hello, so how was your journey from earth to here, did you felt any uneasiness or any problem, sir,” he asked politely.

           “No, but where am I and who are you?” asked Frank.

           “I am God, and you have been chosen by the rain of purity as a new resident of heaven, congratulation,” said he.

           “What,” frank blabbered, “what are you saying I did not get it,”

           “Well let me take you to the hall of judgement first,” he snapped his fingers, and both were inside a big hall with white walls all around and a huge display on one of the walls. He and frank came near the display. It was displaying the life data of Frank; it was displaying 100 percent against the honesty bar of him.

           “See the honesty bar,” he pointed toward the green bar over the display. There were many bars in display displaying various other human characteristics. Honesty was one amongst them.

“Your honesty bar is 100 percent. Whenever a human being has his honesty bar full, the cloud of blessings appears over him brings rains of purity and a rainbow gate to heaven is opened. He is taken to the voidness of the sky from when I bring him to heaven. But before heaven, we came here and tell him why he was chosen. Now tell me do you have any other questions or shall we proceed to heaven,”

“So,” said Frank, “If I don’t want to go to heaven then can I be returned to earth?”

“What are you saying? Why do you want to return there no one respect your honesty.” Said he.

“It may be true that most people don’t respect my honesty but,” said frank.

“But what,” asked he.

“It may be true that I sometimes become frustrated with the condition on earth, with the thinking of other people still when I help someone, I feel immense pleasure from within, I just don’t want to lose that pleasure. Helping others bring the pleasure in me that perhaps might not come from residing in heaven,” said frank.

Listening to this He smiled and said,

“Although, we generally don’t send back a human to earth instead I have a job for you,”

***

Frank was walking on the footpath of a road. It was the time of evening. He saw a homeless man sitting beside the footpath. He intentionally dropped his purse containing one million bucks and went past him. He had hardly taken few steps the homeless person came running to him,

           “Sir, you dropped your wallet,” the homeless man stopped frank by tapping on his soldier gently. Frank turned to him,

           “Take it, it's your now,”

           “No sir, it is yours, I cannot take it,” said the homeless man.

Frank smiled and took his wallet back from the homeless man. The homeless man returned to his position beside the footpath. While going away from the homeless man frank snapped his fingers and it started drizzling. The rainbow appeared in the sky and one of its ends emerged from the ground and started approaching the homeless man.

           The End

September 18, 2021 15:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jeanette Harris
15:22 Sep 30, 2021

I enjoyed how he started into the rainbow and was refreshed by it. I also like how blend realistic and fantastic together. he helped other and there no help for him.

Reply

03:20 Oct 01, 2021

I appreciate your kind words ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Lake
21:36 Sep 29, 2021

I enjoyed your blend of the realistic and the fantastic, and how they came together in Frank at the end.

Reply

05:08 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.