0 comments

Kids

It was the last day of sixth grade at Landry Elementary school and excitement was in the air. The students shared their plans for summer break, ate snacks and signed each others yearbooks. The teachers bid their heartfelt last farewells, but you could sense they were anxious to begin their vacations too. The kids couldn't keep still as they awaited the final bell that signified summer had officially begun.


And just like that, fifty-six students were freed into the township of Kenosha County. Because the township was so small there was no bus service, so most of the students walked to and from school or were picked up by their parents. The more popular kids rode Huffy and Schwinn bikes. "So where are you and your folks going this year?" Archie asked his best buddy Rusty as they walked home. Archie was the class clown, always looking for the next prank.


"Just going to visit my Grandmother in Minneapolis." Rusty replied. His real name was Glenn, but they called him Rusty because his hair was ginger. Rusty was chubby and shorter than Archie, but loved all sports." You guys going camping again this year?"


"Naw I don't think so because my baby sister is supposed to be here at the end of the month."


"Oh yeah. You looking forward to being a big brother?"


"Well I'm not sure. What do you think about being a big brother?"


"It's cool...as long as you don't have a sister." They both laughed because Rusty had two younger sisters.


The normally boring walk home seemed somehow different today. The birds chirped a little louder, the sun was shining a little brighter, even the breeze seemed a little fresher. Even Mrs Denmark's German Shepherd, Thor, barely lifted his head off the porch as they walked by.


Any other day, this Sasquatch of an animal would rush the fence with savage barking to scare everyone into crossing the street. But if you were bold enough to stay on that side of the street while this snarling monster was literally a few feet from tearing you to shreds, you were considered a bad ass. It was an unwritten rite of passage in Kenosha. "What's wrong with Thor?" Rusty questioned. They watched the beast tilt his head to the right as if he was expected to answer.


One thing that never changed was avoiding the old Laddin house. It sat on the corner, so it occupied two streets. Since the landscaping went unattended, the lawn was now twelve inch crabgrass swimming in an ocean of dandelions. What was once trimmed shrubbery, had now grown into massive warped branches of dried leaves that loomed over the sidewalk like twisted fingers. This decrepit shanty was a ginormous eyesore to the otherwise picture perfect neighborhood.


The Neighborhood Committee wanted to have it demolished, but because of its infamous architect it was deemed a historical landmark. The town historian, basically the oldest man in town, Mr Withers was charged with caretaker. But because he was like a hundred years old and forgetful, he only tended the property about once every decade.


The boys crossed the street to avoid walking under the over hanging boughs of the trees. But as always, the ominous presence of Laddin house drew their attention as they passed by. The upstairs windows, which had long since lost their glass, gave the haunted mansion the appearance of having dark empty eye sockets. The dilapidated front stairway led to a huge arched double door, which appeared to hold a perpetual frown. Making the wandering vines look like swollen veins on a contorted face "I double dog dare you to go in there." Archie challenged.


"No way." Rusty declared. "That place is haunted, that's why the whole family disappeared."


"You don't really believe all them stories do you?" Archie asked.


"Like Mr Laddin killed his whole family and hid the bodies in the walls."


"Or that Mr Laddin is still alive, hiding somewhere in the house." Archie countered.


"Or that there's hidden treasure somewhere in the house, because old man Laddin used to be a pirate." They stared at each other with adolescent curiosity.


"OK, I'll go if you'll go." Rusty volunteered.


"OK..." Archie began. "But we're in and out, no messing around."


"Right. Fifteen minutes tops."


"Exactly! And if we find the treasure, we only take what we need."


"Yep, cuz we're not greedy." Rusty agreed. "Just enough to get the gym fixed and new uniforms for the team."


"Yeah, we need that. Oh, and enough to get my dad's tractor fixed."


"Good one." Rusty complimented. "I should probably grab enough to get my mom a new sewing machine too."


"Then it's settled." Archie started. "We'll meet back here right after supper. You bring flashlights and I'll bring potato sacks."


Without a care in the world, the two treasure hunters dashed toward their respective residences. Clouded with visions of town heroism, the duo was eager to reconvene for their adventure. Since they vowed secrecy, they fought the urge to share their plan and went about their evening like any other. At least until suppertime anyways.


"Stop eating so fast boy." Rusty's mother corrected. "Your food ain't gonna jump off that plate."


Rusty looked up from his pasta assault with spaghetti sauce on his nose and a noodle hanging eight inches out of his mouth. "Sorry mama." He said as he loudly slurped up the noodle. Both his little sisters giggled. "It's just that me and Archie got a big adventure planned after supper."


"Oh really? And what's that?" His mother questioned.


Rusty hesitated before he said. "We're going to collect all the driftwood by Miller's creek and build us a raft."


"OK, well just be home before dark."


Archie and Rusty met on the side street across from the Laddin place. The plan was simple, hop the gate, make their way to the back porch and climb through the broken window. Once inside, search the first floor then scour the house for an entrance to the basement. Because, everyone knows the treasure is always hidden in the basement.


The boys exchanged flashlights and potato sacks, then began to ascend the corroded metal fence. The nine foot gate offered no challenge to the youthful boys, but the barbed wire at the top was a different story.


Rusty reached the barbed wire first and threw his potato sack over the top like a rug over a clothes line. Then he used his body like a seesaw, swung his legs over the top and catapulted himself neatly to the ground. Archie tried to imitate the gymnastics, only to land squarely on his back knocking the wind out of himself.


"OMG. How did you do that?" Archie asked while he brushed himself off.


Rusty didn't respond, instead he remained silent and motionless.


"Did you hear me dude? How did you do that?" Archie repeated.


In light of the continued silence, Archie looked up at Rusty. His red-headed friend was frozen like a snowman as he stared blankly past him. Turning to see what held his buddy's attention, Archie suddenly wished they were back in school. Because, the raider's of the lost ark were face to face with a two headed python.


This black and brown serpent sat next to the fence coiled like a bed spring, while It's pupiless eyes glared at the boys. It was almost as thick as a telephone pole at it's widest spot and it's heads were the size of football helmets. It sat perfectly still except for it's forked tongues flicking repeatedly.


"Why didn't we see that thing before we climbed that fence?" Archie whispered.


"I don't know, but on the count of three we make a run for that window."


"What?"


"One."


"Hold on."


"Two."


"I really wish we were still in school."


Before Rusty could say three, the python was upon them. It moved with lightning speed and knocked both boys off their feet. It curled it's tail around Archie, lifted him off the ground and flung him into a nearby tree. Then it's heads found Rusty, and biting down on the boy it began to wrap around him. Rusty yelled in pain for as long as he could.


Archie felt the back of his head for blood as he came to. He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that the snake had almost completely constricted his friend. Not knowing what to do, his hands instinctively reached for something to throw. The first thing they found was a golden flute.


Just as he was about to throw it, he realized what he was holding. For some unknown reason he was drawn to blow on it; and he did. There was a moment of silence followed by a blinding white light.


It was the last day of sixth grade at Landry Elementary school and excitement was in the air. The students shared their plans for summer break, ate snacks and signed each others yearbooks. The teachers bid their heartfelt last farewells, but you could sense they were anxious to begin their vacations too. The kids couldn't keep still as they awaited the final bell that signified summer had officially begun.

May 30, 2020 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.