0 comments

Fantasy

“Snow cones! Get your snow cones!” The silvery white blanket of snow twinkled as I walked my regular evening route. Ever since Mama got sick I’ve been selling snow cones to try to make some extra money. Papa says if I make enough then maybe we will be able to take Mama to a doctor. This past year has been hard on everyone but especially Papa. Papa worked late almost every night and brought home beans or bread for dinner. My stomach growled every time I passed the diner in my town. I wish we could have a big dinner but Mama is more important. I save every penny I earn for Mama. “Snow cones! 50 cents!” I rush over to a crowd that is just getting out of a show at the theater. The families walk by me laughing and talking excitedly about their Christmas plans--completely ignoring me. “Hey! Excuse me!” I push through the crowd eagerly searching for someone to buy my snow cones but it’s as if I’m invisible. One little girl looks at me and tilts her head to the side curiously. “Do you wanna buy a snow cone?” I ask her. She shakes her head and says “Sorry mommy says I’m not supposed to talk to imaginary friends anymore.” “Huh?” I stand there stunned as her mom pulls her hand and keeps walking. “I’m not imaginary! I’m real!” I call after her. She looks back at me and waves. “Who are you waving at?” I hear her mom ask as they walk just out of hearing range. Weird. I turn around and see a worker locking up the theater. “Hey Mister! You wanna buy a snow cone?” He turns his head to look at me over his shoulder and smiles. Finally! Maybe he will buy one. “We’ll hello there little fella.” He says crouching down. I look down and there is a cat at my feet. The cat purrs as he rubs its head. A chill runs down my spine. “Umm ex-excuse me sir...Can you see me?” I ask shaking as he stand back up. No response. The man goes back to locking up the door and I watch as the cat walks away leaving little paw prints in the snow. That’s it! I spin around and look at the bare snow behind me...no footprints. I take a few steps forward and turn around again. The snow is untouched! This is impossible! The theater worker walks toward his car. “Hey! What’s going on hear?!” I knew he wouldn’t hear me but part of me was still hoping. A feeling of dread spread through me. I follow him to his car and watch him turn it on rubbing his hands in front of the vent. Then I got an idea, surely he wouldn’t drive if I stood in front of the car! I stood in front of the car and waived my arms wildly as he put it in to gear and pressed the gas. The car passed right through me as if I was a ghost! “Am I... am I dead?” I whispered. “Henry.” A familiar voice sounded behind me. I turned around and ran toward her “Mama!” I shouted as I wrapped my arms around her. Her hugs always made me feel better. “What are you doing out in the cold?” I asked. I pulled back and looked at her face... a face I almost didn’t recognize. It was round and full of life—not the sick face I was used to with the sunken eyes and protruding cheek bones. “You look good Mama! Are you feeling better?” I asked. “Yes, dear.” She replied before taking my tray of snow cones and lifting the strap that held them from around my neck. “You won’t need these anymore.” She said smiling at me. “Mama I’m scared. Why can’t anyone see me?” She cupped my face in her warm hands as she squatted to look me in the eyes. “Don’t be scared sweetheart.” She smiled at me and suddenly I felt a lot better. “I want to show you something.” she said as she stood up and took my hand in hers. “Okay.” I said as we walked down the empty street together. Neither one of us said much as we walked home. It had began to snow and we laughed as we tried to catch snowflakes on our tongues. When we finally reached our house Mama stopped by the front window. “Let’s go inside.” I said pulling her hand. “We are inside.” She responded as she pointed to the window with her other hand. “Huh?” I looked in the window and saw 4 people snuggling by the fireplace. I pressed my face against the glass and saw that it was Papa, Mama, my sister, and me! We all smiled in our sleep. “How can we be in there?” I exclaimed as I turned around to face Mama but instead I was met with a huge group of people with Mama in the front reaching her hand out toward me. “Come honey. It’s time for us to go to our forever home.” I looked at all the kind faces—there was Papa and my sister smiling back at me! I took a step forward and grabbed mama’s hand. A warm feeling came over me and a brilliant white light filled my field of vision. I felt...happy and safe...happier and safer than I had ever felt before. I smiled. “Yes mama. Let’s go home.”

January 05, 2020 05:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.