Contest #133 winner 🏆

Mythes

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

89 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Everything assumes such an immense quality when you are a child. You are a seed amongst the trees - waiting, waiting, waiting - for the soil and the sun to open you up, to release you from the feeling of smallness. And in that smallness rests another seed, one of fear or something like it - a lack of agency and hopelessness. 

My parents were trees. 

Especially my father. Every morning as he would get ready to head into the confiserie, I would sit on the edge of the tub and watch him shave. To this day, I cannot feel cold without the sour, soapy smell of shaving cream filling my lungs, an association unbent by time and experience. He had this way of making everything he did seem so big, so important.

And my mother. She had this way of approaching everything with a preternatural speed. She had a reputation of being the best confiseuse in Northern France, but her inborn modesty kept her from accepting any compliment. She broke so easily - at least that was what my father would come to say - yet she stood the tallest despite the weather. 

The first eight years of my life were relatively soundless. If I were to go back and throw a ball of yarn against my bedroom window, I probably would have been able to hear it. My parents used to rise together at the faintest hint of dawn and sip coffee, Mother with a novel and Father with Le Parisien, occasionally locking eyes as if to say, "Mon dieu, je t'aime tellement." I would watch this from the thin crack of my bedroom door and inhale their light as if to retain it forever, not knowing that it was a fruitless task, for soon after my ninth birthday there was no light left, only rough blue dark that filled my lungs like fiberglass. 

My parents’ confiserie was among the oldest in Old Paris, inherited as it were from my namesake, Grandpère Julian, my father’s father. It was once said that I was born in the shop, my mother heaving me out of her amongst the almonds and fruits and sugars. It was just the first of many family myths that I had learned to entertain and then quickly dismiss: Julian, you are part sugar.

In any case, I grew up there. If I wasn’t in school or at home, I was sitting at one of the few tables that lined the windows of the shop, eating raspberry guimauves and reading. My mother spent most of her days in the kitchen whipping and whisking and slicing, stopping only to deliver trays of fresh sweets to my father, who would then arrange them in the cases with admirable precision. She might pause briefly to kiss him, or to ensure that I was keeping up with my studies (all she had to do was raise a brow if I met her gaze). 

My father would tend to the patrons; that was what he did best. He never seemed to tire of boxing up têtes de chocolat and placing sucettes in children’s palms and chatting with the regulars over le chocolat chaud. Occasionally he would have me help fill larger orders, paying me with another guimauve. He would wink at me as if to say, “Don’t tell your mother.” I smiled then, because I thought that would be the first and only secret between us.

It wasn’t. 

I wish I could go back and erase that smile off my sticky face, as if to tell him that I wanted no part of it - any of it: the guimauves and his drinking and his women (right now, imagine the sound of your most favorite song ending - forever). This leads me to the second family myth: Love is always enough. 

Sometimes I think about what would have been different about my life had I kept believing that, instead of being a child who realized that his parents manufactured false truths right before his too-trusting eyes. 

The first time I heard my mother weep because of my father (right now, imagine the sensation of coughing up a knife), I was an inch shy of nine and learning long division. 

Irony tastes no different to me than my mother’s pastilles du mineur - hard and black and terrifying. Which brings me to the third family myth: Sugar is always sweet.

I just sat at my rickety table and pressed my pencil so hard into my notebook as if to signal to them that my little world had been reduced to making sense of problems that cannot be solved. Yet she continued to cry and eventually he would leave, only to stumble home at the smallest hour of night smelling of something I wouldn’t come to recognize until I was much older: sex and regret and more sex.

Sometimes I wish I could have leveraged my smallness to my advantage. When you are small, you have more power than you know to augment your reality. I would have shrunken myself into the tiniest common denominator and crept into my mother’s cocons, breathing in their musky sweet smell and breathing out my parents’ old light, dead and yellow and broken. Or I would have made myself small enough to rest my head on her Coussins de Lyon - tiny teal cushions that could have carried me into sleep instead of leading me from it (right now, imagine the darkest of dark things clawing at you, leaving bloody lines down your back).

The back door of our kitchen led to a magasin de papier. Sometimes, when either their yelling or their silence became too much, I would click open the doorknob (right now, imagine the sound your heart might make if it woke up after a thousand-year sleep), and Mdme. Laurent would say, “Bonjour, Julian!” in a way that my mother never had, and she would tousle my hair and show me her newest calligraphy sets. 

By the time I was sixteen, she had stopped pretending that I was a boy, but I didn’t.

I think about the sweetness of Mdme’s mouth, and how I wish I would have captured it in a confection, though I wouldn’t have called it "‘Mdme’s Mouth," but rather "Love or Something Like It."

I think about my parents’ bitter tongues, and how I wish I would have captured it in a confection, if only so they could know what it had been like for me as a boy; to be deceived and subsequently disappointed, ill. I don’t know what I would have called it, though.

Sometimes there are no words, just feelings.

Sometimes I think about my daughter’s smallness and if she ever wishes to be a tree. And how I wish she didn’t view me as a tree because that is such a thing to live up to: damn near indestructible and also so fragile (right now, imagine your mother’s smallest voice and how sometimes it sounds like branches cracking, but other times it sounds like nothing).

Everything assumes such a small quality when you are approaching death. You are a tree amongst the seeds - waiting, waiting, waiting - for the soil and the sun to dry you up, to release you from the feeling of immensity. And in that smallness rests another seed, one of calm or something like it - an abundance of agency and hope.

February 19, 2022 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

89 comments

Misty Phillips
15:47 Feb 27, 2022

Wow, this one really hit home for me. Wonderful story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mari De
11:40 Feb 27, 2022

This is amazing in every bit. It explains everything. This was worth winning. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
N Navsky
16:17 Feb 26, 2022

Superb!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ian Gonzales
15:29 Feb 26, 2022

"right now, imagine the sound of your most favorite song ending - forever." Absolutely amazing line. So evocative. This is some great writing. Thank you for sharing the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen Kinley
14:27 Feb 26, 2022

This story is a delicious confection! Simple presentation, complex flavors. And beautiful. Well done!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wilma Segeren
12:45 Feb 26, 2022

Cool story Stephanie ! I loved “ my parents are trees” It’s true how we see them and how we grow into that observation to our own children.

Reply

Show 0 replies
IM Powell
12:32 Feb 26, 2022

Sigh! This was an emotional read. Stephanie, you are definitely a talented writer! I felt every word down to my bones straight to the end. Almost started weeping from the sadness of it. There were a few parts where I had to read again to catch what you were saying, but that doesn't take away from the power of this story. Well done, sister!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pamela Brown
10:44 Feb 26, 2022

Such a moving story, Stephanie. I felt that I knew how it felt to be a sapling overshadowed by the heavy shade of towering trees. A difficult story to write but the words flowed beautifully, but one felt, painfully. Thank you for sharing this experience.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Riel Rosehill
09:39 Feb 26, 2022

Hi Stephanie, Congrats on the win - so well deserved! Such a beautifully written story, I loved every line of it and it totally broke my heart. Especially, the "imagine..." bits in brackets. I didn't even look at the prompt you chose until I finished reading and realised: hold on, same as mine?! So so different and every bit a winner! I'm so glad I read it... Quality writing through and through.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
09:20 Feb 26, 2022

Did I say fine work? Easy and straight to the point meaning it must be far better than fine. Lovely.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Teresa Renton
09:16 Feb 26, 2022

Stunning piece of writing. I love the cyclical element of this story and the imagery around the contradictions that your character has encountered 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ola Hotchpotch
06:55 Feb 26, 2022

simple story. It's not very exiting but since the story is coffee shop gossip material it feels like now the juices will flow. So i stuck till end. Sorry but found your story disappointing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kyle Vaine
04:49 Feb 26, 2022

Im sure that understanding French would have added a vast amount of immersion and texture to this exceptional story, but as beautiful as it looks & fragrant as it sounds, it was the only thing i truely could not grasp in school. Even with a tutor & special attention during class, I received a 30% on my final exam. So Please forgive my unintended ignorance, was it Pastries, Candy, or both ? I cant wait to put some of these words in my mouth. Your story, it made me cry twice and laugh while i was still Crying. Thank you for writting such a mo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deb Broughton
03:48 Feb 26, 2022

You captured childhood, and sadness with such imagery and exactness. Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:16 Feb 25, 2022

This is really well done. Your knowledge of French and of chocolates adds a lot to the reality of the story. Beautifully written. I was blown away by the "right now, imagine" bits, so creative and poignant. (Although admittedly, I thought maybe that was used one too many times. Just my opinion though, it's hard to strike the balance with just the right amount of repetition.) Such a well deserved win, but in the interest of constructive criticism, a few small points. The line about the neighbor no longer pretending he was a boy was a little...

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
23:02 Feb 25, 2022

A well deserved win. I liked the flow and language used throughout. I have some small French, so I wasn't tripped up with the Francais. The "waiting, waiting, waiting" was so neat. So nice you used it twice. I will read more of your stories and hope you keep writing more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Hancock
20:53 Feb 25, 2022

Beautiful story! “An abundance of agency and hope”❤️ So heartfelt and full of emotion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
James Miller
20:10 Feb 25, 2022

What a sad little treat wrapped in such pretty writing. Nice use of repetition and thoughtful closure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zama Bhala
18:06 Feb 25, 2022

Damn, that was good! Well done, Stephanie. I really enjoyed that. It started out so sweet (get it), but then it took a dark and bitter turn (kinda like those pastilles du mineurs you mentioned). It felt like the story was about falling out of love with someone - with falling out of love with your parents, maybe? A story about the loss of innocence and the dullness of growing up. A story about sweet lies and bitter truths. A good story. Anyway, well done. You deserved this win.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.