Contest #133 winner 🏆

Mythes

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

89 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Everything assumes such an immense quality when you are a child. You are a seed amongst the trees - waiting, waiting, waiting - for the soil and the sun to open you up, to release you from the feeling of smallness. And in that smallness rests another seed, one of fear or something like it - a lack of agency and hopelessness. 

My parents were trees. 

Especially my father. Every morning as he would get ready to head into the confiserie, I would sit on the edge of the tub and watch him shave. To this day, I cannot feel cold without the sour, soapy smell of shaving cream filling my lungs, an association unbent by time and experience. He had this way of making everything he did seem so big, so important.

And my mother. She had this way of approaching everything with a preternatural speed. She had a reputation of being the best confiseuse in Northern France, but her inborn modesty kept her from accepting any compliment. She broke so easily - at least that was what my father would come to say - yet she stood the tallest despite the weather. 

The first eight years of my life were relatively soundless. If I were to go back and throw a ball of yarn against my bedroom window, I probably would have been able to hear it. My parents used to rise together at the faintest hint of dawn and sip coffee, Mother with a novel and Father with Le Parisien, occasionally locking eyes as if to say, "Mon dieu, je t'aime tellement." I would watch this from the thin crack of my bedroom door and inhale their light as if to retain it forever, not knowing that it was a fruitless task, for soon after my ninth birthday there was no light left, only rough blue dark that filled my lungs like fiberglass. 

My parents’ confiserie was among the oldest in Old Paris, inherited as it were from my namesake, Grandpère Julian, my father’s father. It was once said that I was born in the shop, my mother heaving me out of her amongst the almonds and fruits and sugars. It was just the first of many family myths that I had learned to entertain and then quickly dismiss: Julian, you are part sugar.

In any case, I grew up there. If I wasn’t in school or at home, I was sitting at one of the few tables that lined the windows of the shop, eating raspberry guimauves and reading. My mother spent most of her days in the kitchen whipping and whisking and slicing, stopping only to deliver trays of fresh sweets to my father, who would then arrange them in the cases with admirable precision. She might pause briefly to kiss him, or to ensure that I was keeping up with my studies (all she had to do was raise a brow if I met her gaze). 

My father would tend to the patrons; that was what he did best. He never seemed to tire of boxing up têtes de chocolat and placing sucettes in children’s palms and chatting with the regulars over le chocolat chaud. Occasionally he would have me help fill larger orders, paying me with another guimauve. He would wink at me as if to say, “Don’t tell your mother.” I smiled then, because I thought that would be the first and only secret between us.

It wasn’t. 

I wish I could go back and erase that smile off my sticky face, as if to tell him that I wanted no part of it - any of it: the guimauves and his drinking and his women (right now, imagine the sound of your most favorite song ending - forever). This leads me to the second family myth: Love is always enough. 

Sometimes I think about what would have been different about my life had I kept believing that, instead of being a child who realized that his parents manufactured false truths right before his too-trusting eyes. 

The first time I heard my mother weep because of my father (right now, imagine the sensation of coughing up a knife), I was an inch shy of nine and learning long division. 

Irony tastes no different to me than my mother’s pastilles du mineur - hard and black and terrifying. Which brings me to the third family myth: Sugar is always sweet.

I just sat at my rickety table and pressed my pencil so hard into my notebook as if to signal to them that my little world had been reduced to making sense of problems that cannot be solved. Yet she continued to cry and eventually he would leave, only to stumble home at the smallest hour of night smelling of something I wouldn’t come to recognize until I was much older: sex and regret and more sex.

Sometimes I wish I could have leveraged my smallness to my advantage. When you are small, you have more power than you know to augment your reality. I would have shrunken myself into the tiniest common denominator and crept into my mother’s cocons, breathing in their musky sweet smell and breathing out my parents’ old light, dead and yellow and broken. Or I would have made myself small enough to rest my head on her Coussins de Lyon - tiny teal cushions that could have carried me into sleep instead of leading me from it (right now, imagine the darkest of dark things clawing at you, leaving bloody lines down your back).

The back door of our kitchen led to a magasin de papier. Sometimes, when either their yelling or their silence became too much, I would click open the doorknob (right now, imagine the sound your heart might make if it woke up after a thousand-year sleep), and Mdme. Laurent would say, “Bonjour, Julian!” in a way that my mother never had, and she would tousle my hair and show me her newest calligraphy sets. 

By the time I was sixteen, she had stopped pretending that I was a boy, but I didn’t.

I think about the sweetness of Mdme’s mouth, and how I wish I would have captured it in a confection, though I wouldn’t have called it "‘Mdme’s Mouth," but rather "Love or Something Like It."

I think about my parents’ bitter tongues, and how I wish I would have captured it in a confection, if only so they could know what it had been like for me as a boy; to be deceived and subsequently disappointed, ill. I don’t know what I would have called it, though.

Sometimes there are no words, just feelings.

Sometimes I think about my daughter’s smallness and if she ever wishes to be a tree. And how I wish she didn’t view me as a tree because that is such a thing to live up to: damn near indestructible and also so fragile (right now, imagine your mother’s smallest voice and how sometimes it sounds like branches cracking, but other times it sounds like nothing).

Everything assumes such a small quality when you are approaching death. You are a tree amongst the seeds - waiting, waiting, waiting - for the soil and the sun to dry you up, to release you from the feeling of immensity. And in that smallness rests another seed, one of calm or something like it - an abundance of agency and hope.

February 19, 2022 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

89 comments

Robert Mitchell
00:16 Aug 08, 2022

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Pri...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Mitchell
00:16 Aug 08, 2022

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Pri...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Mitchell
12:39 Aug 03, 2022

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Pric...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Mitchell
12:39 Aug 03, 2022

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Pric...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Mitchell
12:39 Aug 03, 2022

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Pric...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katie Bennett
00:42 Jul 27, 2022

Thank you for letting me post my review on your blog. I am very happy to share my insight working with DR AMBER. I needed help to win the lottery so badly because my bills were so high and needed to be paid as soon as possible. While I was surfing the Internet for ways to win the lottery, I saw DR AMBER'S website: AMBERLOTTOTEMPLE.COM saying how he has helped a lot of people in different ways both financially/martially. I ordered a lottery spell from DR AMBER and he explained everything to me about the spell and I accepted. I followed his in...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katie Bennett
00:41 Jul 27, 2022

Thank you for letting me post my review on your blog. I am very happy to share my insight working with DR AMBER. I needed help to win the lottery so badly because my bills were so high and needed to be paid as soon as possible. While I was surfing the Internet for ways to win the lottery, I saw DR AMBER'S website: AMBERLOTTOTEMPLE.COM saying how he has helped a lot of people in different ways both financially/martially. I ordered a lottery spell from DR AMBER and he explained everything to me about the spell and I accepted. I followed his in...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ankit Kaur
14:55 Jun 13, 2022

I’m here to tell everyone what Dr Ayoola did for me I have been playing lottery for so many years now. I have never win a den so I was worried because I need to pay my monthly bills I was going through some comment on google when I saw a post about Dr Ayoola helping someone to win lottery so I contacted him telling him that I will love to win lottery as well. that someone recommended me to him so he promise to help me win if we work together as one so I told him I’m ready to follow the instructions that is how we start and after the spell h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ankit Kaur
14:55 Jun 13, 2022

I’m here to tell everyone what Dr Ayoola did for me I have been playing lottery for so many years now. I have never win a den so I was worried because I need to pay my monthly bills I was going through some comment on google when I saw a post about Dr Ayoola helping someone to win lottery so I contacted him telling him that I will love to win lottery as well. that someone recommended me to him so he promise to help me win if we work together as one so I told him I’m ready to follow the instructions that is how we start and after the spell h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Margaret Atwood
05:00 Jun 05, 2022

Hello everyone, I want to use this medium to thank a great spell caster called Dr Grceondu for transforming my life financially, i have been playing lottery game for long but have never won any reasonable amount, I contacted Dr Graceondu after i red about him on the internet on how he help a lady with a lottery winning numbers and the lady won a very big amount of money, so i contacted him and He instructed me on what to do which i did and he told me to give him some time to prayers, on the second day he sent me some numbers and he said i sh...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Demian Ford
23:08 Jun 03, 2022

I have always dreamt of winning BIG in the lottery. I surfed the internet for help to win the lottery massively and I was directed to the DR Amber website. I had a chat with him about what I needed and he assured me that his spell will make me become a lottery winner. He got back to me after 3 days with the numbers that I needed to play the lottery and told me to believe in myself. I felt enveloped by the control of the spell. I took his words and played the Mega Millions Lottery. Two days later, I was sent an email that I've won the sum of ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel Angel
15:45 May 19, 2022

Lovely story , i reallly enjoyed it .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laura Eliz
18:10 May 03, 2022

I felt transported to a candy shop in Paris while reading this. I could almost taste sugar on my tongue. It transported me to when I was a child, being my father's shadow. This made me feel so many varied emotions. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrea Doig
06:59 May 01, 2022

Well done on this winning story. I just read now as I’m quite new to this forum and I’m working my way through stories. What a clever concept and beautifully written. Thank you for sharing x

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeffrey Niemann
01:05 Apr 25, 2022

You have a beautiful writing style. Enjoyed it a lot, deserved win too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
11:58 Apr 17, 2022

This is beautiful. I can see why it won. Great story. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Atenaga Monday
19:39 Apr 12, 2022

Good day, am a writer my finest book or should I say my greatest writing can't be published yet cause of lack of funds please I humbly solicit for your help in raising some funds, my plan is to help every kid in Africa able to access books even without payment please do this help humanity and make the world a better place; my email: mdatenaga@gmail.com, my WhatsApp number: https://wa.me/message/HOFB7PTVGI3TF1 I will be glad to have partners all over the world to join me, God bless God speed. You can also write and ask for my Novel I will be...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay Mosley
03:07 Mar 30, 2022

fave lines "My parents were trees" & "I wish I would have captured it in a confection, though I wouldn’t have called it "‘Mdme’s Mouth," but rather "Love or Something Like It."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jawad Ali
01:37 Mar 30, 2022

So simple yet so well written that just went with the flow. But also a common put well deserved message given for the parents specifically a father to think of his children existence and how he impacts on his innocent beginning.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abi Black
20:16 Mar 26, 2022

I really like the emotion weaved in through the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.