1 comment

Fiction

The wedding plans for Chelsea were completed. We would do a follow-up two days before the event. Andrea had an event scheduled for the children’s ward at the local hospital. It brought such joy to their sweet faces when someone did special things for them. She was handling this event alone. I decided to make some time for Daniel. Things were slow right now until the wedding. I texted his cell phone and told him I would like to make some plans if he was available. During my free time, I decided to do some overdue shopping to update my apparel and buy some things for my home. This day brought more than I had bargained for as they say.

After what seemed like forever, I completed my shopping trip and was getting ready to take my purchases home when I got a text from Daniel. He said they were working on a river project that dealt with their training as a first responder, and recovery team member, and he was not sure what time they might get done. I texted him back and asked for directions, hoping to spend a few moments with you before I went home. I had so much on my mind that day with the wedding. Spending time with Daniel was my healing place. I did not see the truck coming from the other direction into my lane. Swerving, all I remember after that is the car rolling over and over down the embankment. I must have blacked out because when I woke up, I was in a hospital room.

I know that I hurt all over. It was hard to see, I was in a daze. Finally getting my eyes to focus I saw Andrea sitting beside the bed. Daniel was on the other side holding my hand. I asked them what happened. And they told me what had occurred. The doctor came in and said my left leg was broken and there were fractures in my left arm. These were caused by my body hitting the car on the driver's side door every time it rolled over. He said I had a concussion and would be in the hospital for an uncertain period at present. They needed to do surgery as soon as some of the swelling went down. Tears ran down my face and Daniel squeezed my hand tightly. I could see tears in Andreas' eyes and it broke my heart to see these two people I loved so much in emotional pain. They both kept telling me it was going to be okay. My body did not feel like my own. The nurse came in to check on me and gave me some pain medicine. At some point, I dozed off. The next time I woke up Andrea had left to get coffee Daniel was sitting by my bed with his head on his arm trying to sleep. I woke him up when I shifted in my bed. I asked, “How long have you been here?” And he replied, “Since they brought you in two days ago. “Two days ago,” I said, “I guess I must have been in a deep sleep,” Daniel said they have been giving me something for pain pretty often so I was out of it from all the medications.

Andrea came back with her coffee and sat down close to the bed. And I talked to her for a few minutes, I wanted to see how things were going at the office and if there were any problems. She updated me on everything and said not to worry that she had the plans covered. “The plans for Chelsea’s wedding were still on track, not to worry about it. “Just get some rest and get well.” A lot of my previous clients called to check on me. They were all sending prayers that I would get well soon. If we needed anything let them know. I told her to let them know how much I appreciated all of them and tell all of them thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will try my best to get back to work as soon as possible. Andrea just smiled, she knew me and she knew that I would not let anything get in my way when I had work that was to be completed. I looked over at Daniel and told him to please go home and get some rest that I was going to be ok and that somebody would call him if there were changes. He leaned over the bed rail and placed a kiss on my lips. He said he loved me. “I will be back soon.” Andrea was told the same thing. “Go get some rest there is nothing you can do for now.” They were giving me so much pain medicine I was just in and out of it. I would get word to her if anything came up. She leaned over and hugged my neck before she left. When she was leaving, the nurse came in and administered more pain medicine so I went back to sleep.

When I awoke the next morning there was a lot of activity. The doctor came by to let me know that surgery was planned for that afternoon to start repairing some of the damage to my left side. My left arm and leg required broken bones to be repaired. I asked the nurse to please notify Andrea and Daniel and she acknowledged this by nodding her head. They both arrived a few minutes apart and I received hugs from both of them. Daniel with his usual kiss on my forehead. The time went by fast and the medical team of nurses arrived to whisk me away to surgery. Hugs and kisses were shared and Daniel whispered in my ear that he loved me and would be waiting patiently.

Reluctantly I tried to open my eyes and focus on the two blurry figures near me. The anesthesia left me in a groggy state. My view became clearer and I saw the two people I loved most in my life. Daniel on one side and Andrea on the other. I was truly surrounded by love. The doctor came in and updated us on the surgery. “We were able to make the necessary repairs to the bones damaged for the arm and leg. You will be in the cast for about 6 weeks. After that, you will require physical therapy to regain normal use and strength on the left side. We can do all that here at the hospital” he stated. “The bruising on the other parts of your body will heal gradually and the remainder of the swelling will go down with the proper rest. We will monitor you and then decide when you can go home. You will need full-time assistance while the two casts are on so make arrangements.

So, my life has taken a new direction, and I must adapt to the situation at hand. I know I have the determination to see it through. Lord, please help me with my patience. That will be a challenge for someone like me. The next journey in my life awaits.

August 30, 2024 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Grady Simpson
17:50 Sep 12, 2024

Who! How awesome and realistic. Great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.