Learning and Changing

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“Grandma?”

“Yes, what is it dear?”

“I am learning about the United States’ history for the year 2020. Can you tell me what happened during that time?” My granddaughter asks with curiosity and a little sadness in her eyes.

“My, it’s been a while. Well, Vanessa, I was twenty-one years old during that time. There was a lot of things happening during that time. First, the coronavirus was spreading like wildfire. From China to Italy to the United States the virus came until the whole world declared the situation as a pandemic.”

“Wow, when did the coronavirus end?”

“Well, it’s a little more complicated than that. At first, people were buying so much toilet paper as if the world was going to end. Then, we had to wear masks and gloves in public to make sure no one else gets sick. Did your history book tell you that people can be carriers of COVID-19 but don’t have symptoms and can pass it on to others?”

Vanessa’s eyes widened and then she says, “Hold on, let me look at my textbook.”

As she is flipping through her US history textbook, I see her mind working to find the truth: the truth from someone who lived during that time and that will not be watered down because of who wrote the history book.

“Grandma, you were right. It’s in here.” Her eyes filled with surprise as I continue my story.

“There were more things that happen than just the coronavirus sadly. There were schools switching to online classes because of COVID-19, murder hornets, and the worse of all is police brutality.”

“Wait, wait, wait, Grandma. Schools had to go online because of this virus? What are murder hornets? The police now are better than they were back then, right?” My sweet granddaughter speaks with worry in her voice.

“First, yes, schools were afraid for their students and faculty if anyone had or will be in contact with someone who has the coronavirus. Then, murder hornets are from Asia and are deadlier than bees, wasps, and regular hornets. If the murder hornets give you multiple stings, their stings could kill you. Then, I do not know the answer to the last question. I haven’t been keeping up with the news lately and I do not go on social media anymore as I did when I was your age.”

“You had social media too, Grandma?”

“Ok, Vanessa, don’t act like I lived in the old days. Wait, let me rephrase that. Don’t act like I didn’t live in an era where there was technology. Yeah, I think that’s better wording. Now, where was I? Oh, yes! Are you learning about the Black Lives Movement, sweetie?”

“Yes, it’s really interesting. It sounds like one of the most radical movements in history.”

“Well, not everyone will agree with you on that statement if you were there. Some people were complaining about not being able to go out and socialize with others. People were even protesting in order to get a haircut or lift more restrictions on social distancing. They cared more about their convenience than the lives of others. One moment sparked the Black Lives Movement to a whole new level. That moment was the unjust death of George Floyd. A police officer had his knee on Floyd’s neck as George Floyd couldn’t breathe and was begging the cop to stop. George Floyd’s last words were ‘I can’t breathe.’ The poor soul. He didn’t deserve that.”

“Grandma, that sounds awful.” Vanessa spoke with sadness and anger as she couldn’t believe what I was saying.

“It’s true, dear. However, one person filmed what happened to George Floyd. After that, people were protesting for the Black Lives Matter movement in the United States and even all over the world. Although I couldn’t protest physically with people, I still raised awareness through social media and tried to educate myself as best as I could because racism, prejudice, and discrimination is not as obvious as you think. They can appear in your thoughts towards others and even subtle actions. If you are silent, you side with the oppressor. And I refused to be silent. I did my best to spread awareness through social media and educate myself. Although it’s all I could do, I know we have to have hope and the fire for change.”

“Wow.”

“Also, everything I told you was happening while COVID-19 was still happening in the United States and the timeline for all this is from January to June 2020.”

“Wait, what??!! Wow, that’s a lot.”

“That’s not all though. People were being tear gassed and hit by rubber bullets. The rubber bullets were like mini torpedoes. There were many people who wanted change, but other people wanted other things. For example, during that time, the president wasn’t much help in my opinion. He did not give any comforting words to his people dying of COVID-19 and did not say whether he supports the Black Lives Matter movement. Worse, he lied many times and people noticed.”

“The president during that time was Donald Trump, wasn’t it?” She said with sadness in her voice.

“Yes, and I didn’t like the man very much. He said he was a businessman. He didn’t care about his people and only cared about himself. He even called the coronavirus the Chinese virus. That man was a sorry excuse for a president.” My face grows red as I speak of anger of that man. 

“Grandma, it says in the history book that he has one of the worst presidencies. From what you said, Grandma, I believe you.” Vanessa’s eyes grow more solemn and sad as she lets me continue my tale.

“I have a headache from all this talk. I might go take a nap.” As I was starting to get up, Vanessa stopped me.

“Wait, I need to know more about what happens in 2020.”

“You can look at your textbook, dear.”

“Grandma, I mean what really happened.”

“Well, I can’t tell you anymore because I know you will ask your teacher questions and I would get yelled at by your mother for telling you the truth. Do you know why I told you my story although I know your mom will yell at me?”

She shook her head no as I tell her the reason.

“Change does begin with thoughts but will only carry you halfway. Thoughts with actions are what will make change happen. By telling you what happened, I am changing your mindset about history and people. Change starts with one person but that one person cannot do it alone. Whether it’s the color of your skin, your ethnicity, or disabilities, do not let anyone or yourself define and restrict you because of those things. Vanessa, change yourself for the better and help others do the same. You never know what the future holds.”

I see my grandmother stand up from her seat and start walking to her room to take her nap. I will never forget what Grandma Nancy said to me. In my heart, I promised myself that I will make myself and others better. I want to make Grandma Nancy proud.

The End

June 13, 2020 02:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.