Awkward Encounter

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: And there's a twist! It actually all took place in the past.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Gregory never expected to be dropped off at his grandfathers house that night.

Yet there he stood, whipped from all directions by the violent snow destroying all in its vicinity. If it were not for the windows dimly illuminating in front of him, he might as well have been walking blind trying to get inside. What made it worse was the fact the Gregory had no overcoat to protect his own warmth so every wisp of snow felt no less painful than a lash from the Devil.

In his mind, Gregory knew his grandfather shouldn't be home, making things easier for him. The two barely knew of one another and just based on family knowledge and gossip spreading through the family tree like algae made the two relatives want to talk to one another less and less.

A strict conservative known for hurting his wife and a radical spokes-person weren't exactly good mixes.

Despite this, Gregory knew enough about his old relative to practically know him and where he lives. The old man goes to his winter cabin during the season and Gregory needs a place to stay just to stay out of sight from the public. No one can see him otherwise he will meet a blood-soaked demise.

Only one thing seemed off...why on Earth was it light inside if no one was supposed to be home?

Gregory eventually made it to the front door and just as predicated, the spare key was methodically placed under a fake baby pine tree.

Once inside, his insides warmed in a surging release. He almost laughed aloud but decided against it, careful not to raise questions from the neighbors if he were too loud.

But just as his mouth slightly opened in order to let what is now empty air flow from his frosted lips, a light euphoric voice echoed throughout the house.

Taken aback by the bizarre synchronicity, his chest suddenly felt compressed around the same time his stomach felt as though a chunk of wood weighed him down from the inside.


Someone else was in this house. An intruder? A relative?


Most definitely a woman. A curious thing.


Suddenly her voice aroused the household once more, only this time the pitch was louder and far more pleased than before.


Gregory could not control the creeping blush blossoming across his face...nor the sudden tightness of his trousers as an involuntary reaction.


It had been many months since he had heard the sweet sound of a blissfully happy woman. Now, the young man grew curious.

The mystery woman's voice seemed to come from a bedroom on his left side.

Now, Gregory realized it was wrong to prioritize a mystery woman and possibly her lover over possibly being caught by civilians. But the opportunity was present.

Gregory decided to sneak into the hallway on his left, careful to notice older wooden floorboards to avoid any squeaking sounds.

At each step, his heart raced and his smile grew from his mischief. What he was doing was most certainly not allowed and overall wrong. but his body and instincts took over his common sense.


Finally, he was right in front of the door. His ears can now perceive the heaving breathing, moaning, and gasps for air from both the mystery woman and the man with her.

Gregory began to shake in anticipation, his mouth dry yet his throat its best to choke a cough out of him. He takes a deep, low breath before peeking through the partially agape door.


What he saw on the other side shook everything in him to the core.

There was indeed a man and a woman. The man in question, was in fact his grandfather in all of his natural state, mounting one of his slaves from the plantation...and it was not a woman. It was in fact a lean black gentleman with a shrill voice.

Gregory covered his mouth, careful not to let out a shrill of his own.

He was about to take a quiet step back away from the door until his grandfathers head suddenly jerked up and his blood shot eyes with sweat collecting in the corners made contact with Gregory's own.

The poor boy did the only thing he knew how to do. He ran.

Gregory made no second thoughts to that decision.Without thinking he ran all the way to where he came from and practically knocked the front door. The cold wind and snow suddenly seemed trifle compared to whatever fate was to be met if he stayed any longer in his grandfather's house.

When he finally stopped, it proved to be unclear. But when an old run down mill caught his eye, he knew that was the only accessible shelter he would see any time soon so he finally managed to catch his breath once inside.

Gregory slid against the wall, gripping his shirt where his heart would have been. Slight puff of his breath coated his moist lips, and he watched them dissipate into the darkness.

The moment Gregory could breathe again, he allowed the nights event sink into his mind. It was a sight Gregory could have never anticipated. All he the boy wanted to do was hide out for the night but instead found his conservative, Southern, pro-slavery, Confederate grandfather share his bed with a black man.


This time, Gregory did let out a laugh and had it echo as loud and as long as he wanted.


The irony!


Gregory's family practically disowned him when he decided to help the Union and become an aid the Abolitionist cause yet the patriarch of the family stood in a secret shadow where he lives as a complete hypocrite.

Gregory leaned back, smiling smugly to himself.

Perhaps this very night was a blessing in disguise. What a campaign for the cause!

He was glad something good came out of seeing his grandfather in the nude.

November 04, 2019 22:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.