2 comments

Friendship High School

 “As I see it, life will never improve until you face the fact that it does not owe you anything; you are not royalty, you don’t have servants at your beck and call.” Amy’s voice was firm “even royalty treat their servants with respect, otherwise, there will be none all round.” Amy did have a little satisfaction in seeing Dora’s discomfiture, but she had seen that look before, many times, in different shades, with or without the smile but always there. Dora simply could not be trusted.

Over the years Amy found that the ramblings of a liar are easily believed, it takes a wink or a nod, or the flourish of a pen to page. The words of a liar are deceptive, her motives are secretive and her eyes tell a different tale from the words she speaks, when challenged by another’s doubtful or inquisitive look. It was always that way with Dora to some not all of her friends.  The loyal among them found her good points and quoted them, or remembered her pain and used that as an excuse for her idiosyncrasies. It was that way with Amy for much of the time until it struck her that things did not add up.

Dora’s parents separated when she was young and for a time there was no father figure. In an attempt to create some sort of order in life, Dora’s mum worked full time and joined a dancing class, where she met and later married Bob.  By the time that happened the insecure Dora had developed a way of attracting attention, it did not matter who was hurt as long as Dora was noticed, and believed. By comparison, Amy insecurities showed without malevolence. Though she was no mathematician, eventually Dora’s stories, just did not make sense but there were advantages to still having Dora as a friend. Picnics in the park with Dora and her family and a camping trip, reciprocated when Dora’s Mum took ill and was hospitalised and Amy’s mother insisted on Dora staying with them and feeding Dora’s stepdad before or after his daily hospital visits, to his wife.

However, there was the day soon after Amy had been out with the family, she decided to bake a cake by way of saying thanks to Dora’s mum. Spending the day at Dora’s house gave her the opportunity.  Amy put the cake mixture in the oven, went outside for a few minutes returning to discover Dora at the oven, looking at the mixture. She smiled, sizing up the situation saying,

“It’s going well, Amy just a few more minutes I reckon.”

Amy believed her until that distinct smell of a culinary disaster permeated the kitchen. Dora had turned the oven temperature up higher than required. Amy caught the mischievous look, so did Dora’s mother. Nothing was said but the animosity took root. Amy was close to tears and Dora’s Mum in an attempt to comfort said

 “It was the thought that counts love, I will taste your masterpiece another day.”

Amy met Carl soon afterwards which pleased her parents as Carl was a gentle giant. They were too young to be very serious but Amy’s parents, mindful of the fact that sometimes childhood sweethearts remain sweethearts encouraged the youngsters. Amy sensed that Dora was miffed, and while it was pleasant not to have Dora clinging to her, the friendship did suffer a little.

Just as suddenly as it had begun, the friendship between Amy and Carl went cool. When Amy challenged Carl he said,

“It is not going to work Amy I think we should chill for a while.”

“Why?” Amy was both curious and suspicious

“Oh, you know.”

“No, I don’t know, tell me!” she persisted seeing Carl’s discomfiture.

“I’m going out with Dora. See you around.”

Amy turned around to see Dora waiting by the gate wearing the usual calculating expression. Sure enough, she was waiting for Carl, and the oscar-winning performance style kiss almost made Amy laugh, though her heart was sad. It did not last long however, Carl tired of her and Dora was off on pastures new abandoning her dreams of a doctorate in favour of loafing about in the arms of some prize clown. Amy with a new set of friends and her own goals to pursue was on nodding acquaintance with Dora, and for that matter, Carl.

One day one of her new friends whispered in her ear a piece of news about Dora. Amy spun round out of curiosity and gasped at the sight before her.

“She can’t be, that’s a cushion.”

“Shh!” the other girl warned, “she’s been complaining of nausea.”

“Still, I doubt it,” said Amy. There was definitely a difference in Dora apart from the pale cheeks, but no one could tell whether the lethargy was real or feigned.

Carl came up to Amy one day asking if she could spare a few moments They sat in the park each with a bottle of Coca Cola in hand, in an effort to appear nonchalant.

Amy, I don’t know how to say this.” Carl began.

“One word at a time?” she suggested

 “Yeah.” Carl laughed “It’s Dora, she’s pregnant. She told me yesterday.’

“So why do you need to know?” they exchanged looks

“Carl?”

“Oh, Amy” he sniffed “what am I going to do?”

 Amy could not stand it any longer. A plan was forming, but was Amy wise enough or wicked enough, or…? Irrespective, of her feelings, at least out of concern for Carl something had to be done.

“Somehow I will get the truth out of her Carl.”

“How are you going to do that?”

“I’m not sure yet to be honest, but there is a way.” Impulsively Amy stretched over to Carl kissed his cheek and said

“She might be pregnant, and it may still not be yours there again, she might be up to her old tricks.”  said Amy. “right, here goes.”

Amy got up seeing Dora sitting sunning herself a little away from them, watchful and calculating. Amy walked towards Dora smiling.

“Hi Dora, how are you going?” this was Amy the smooth operator “do you mind if I sit with you?”

“Suit yourself.” Dora was clearly annoyed “but I do feel sick”

“Then why are you sitting directly in the sun?” Amy looked at Dora “surely you would be better in the shade?”

As an answer Dora smiled, her hand on her belly.

“I’m pregnant.” It was not what she said, but the way she looked

“I heard,” said Amy flatly

“It’s Carl’s.” Dora was waiting for a reaction

“Really?” asked Amy   Suddenly she knew what to do.

“Oh, don’t move Dora there is a giant wasp hovering above you.” she got up and hurried towards Dora, her purse in hand presumably as a weapon to kill the imagined wasp. Amy pressed against Dora successfully scaring her. As a result, the ‘baby’, pink coloured with cream lace fell to the ground, in a puddle. Dora looked at Amy, then to the ground, then back at Amy, incensed.

“Carl, or Carla?” asked Amy as she picked the cushion up “you really are the limit, aren’t you? You don’t care whom you hurt so long as you get attention.”

“You’ve got it all.” said Dora “a happy home your Dad and Mum, whereas I have nothing.”

“You have brains and a future.” said Amy sagely ‘you have control over that.”

Amy beckoned Carl over

“Here Carl, what are you going to call it?”

“Dirty?” suggested Carl He and Amy were looking straight at Dora.

“As I see it, life will never improve until you face the fact that it does not owe you anything;. you are not royalty, you don’t have servants at your beck and call.” Amy’s voice was firm “even royalty treat their servants with respect, otherwise, there will be none all round.”

“That’s easy for you two to say…”

“Dora, grow up before you grow old. Make something of your life before it slips past.”

The tears rolled down Dora’s cheeks unchecked. Like a fly caught in a spider’s web, Dora was trapped.

“I never thought I’d say this Amy.” she chose her words carefully “I never could pull the wool over your eyes. I just wanted what you had including Carl.” she rose from the seat “be seeing you.”

Does it surprise you that that chapter of their lives was over?

November 12, 2020 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rachel Cerbito
09:54 Nov 19, 2020

Such a great story! Hope to read more of your writing.

Reply

Claire Tennant
23:01 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you, Rachel, for those kind words

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.