The Second Coming of Cody

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about a someone who's in denial.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Speculative

Holly, I’m over here! Thank you for coming on such short notice, I know you’ve been really busy. And I know I’ve been hard to reach. I’ve been having a really hard time getting out of my head for a while now. It’s been for more than three years now, ever since March 2020. Just when things mostly felt normal again I heard there’s another new variant. That’s really messed me up, and I’d just started feeling optimistic again. Sorry I haven’t been answering your calls or texts. It’s been hard, especially since Matt dumped me. I needed some alone time. And I haven’t let you get a word in. I know you don’t have much time. Do you want a coffee? It’s on me. I got here a little early; this is my second.

           Here’s what I wanted to tell you, it’s the most amazing thing. I was out on a walk the other night, it was on Monday. I ‘ve been pretty good about keeping that up, I’ve been doing it almost every night, except for those few months last year, but I got back to it, thank God. I need to do something to help me process all the stuff running through my head. You’re still running, right? You’ve always been so good about that. You look great. I should have said that earlier.

           Yes, the other night. I’m out on a walk in my neighborhood after dinner, like I usually do. I turn this corner with a big hedge sticking out and I’m checking my steps and I practically run right into this family. It’s a mom and dad about our age and a girl who’s probably about eight. I can’t tell for sure when kids are that old. To me they look like they could be anywhere from seven to twelve. Anyway, the amazing thing. They have a dog and it looks almost exactly like Cody, like Cody did toward the end. Same size, same shape, the face getting really gray, the dark brindle and the white left paws. His head might be a little different; not as pointy. I manage to absorb all of this right away, while finally managing to mumble an apology for almost barreling into them, but my attention goes right back to the dog. We make eye contact and I know it’s him. I put Cody down thirteen years ago. He was fourteen and I can see this is twelve-year-old Cody by the way he’s moving and acting. And I know he recognizes me. I could see it in his eyes. He had that look he’d get when I got home from work.

           Yes, that one! So, even with all this running through my head, it’s only been about fifteen seconds since I nearly hit this family, but instead of moving out of the way, I went over to the dog and said “Hey Cody” like I haven’t seen him in a really long time because, you know, I haven’t and he steps toward me, wagging his tail with his tongue hanging out to the left and then he licks my hand and drops on the ground to show me his belly. Do you remember where I’d scratch him and he’d do the thing moving his leg like most dogs do when you find that one spot?

           Exactly, it was just below his left front leg. I did that and this dog moves it exactly like Cody. It’s him. I see the mom and dad looking at me all weird, so I tell them how much their dog is like Cody. I don’t tell them what I’m telling you or else they’d think I’m crazy so I say something about how lucky he is to have them and I move on.

Do you want a coffee? I could use another. No? OK. Well, I cannot adequately express how this made me feel. Somehow Cody is back! I found him and he saw me. He was the best dog. Everybody loved him, and that dog loved a good party. He always thought everyone was over to play with him. Am I starting to babble? I know you don’t have all day. OK, this family goes their way, I go mine, but I turn around so I can see where they’re going. Don’t worry, I kept my distance. They only go another block before they turn off and I can see where their house is, and I keep walking. Holly, it’s only three blocks from my place. Cody’s been only three blocks away from me for who knows how long? I’m wondering why I haven’t seen him before. Maybe they just moved in, but I usually notice new people. Some people think I’m nosy, but I like to know what’s going on in my neighborhood.

           Exactly. I’m a single woman again. I need to know who to avoid and who I can trust. Anyway, I spent some time the last couple of days seeing what Cody’s life is like. The parents both leave the house early and I think the dad usually takes the daughter to school. I’m trying to focus on work, but it’s hard knowing Cody’s so close. I’m taking a lot of breaks so I can see what’s going on and I know it’s only been four days, but I never see a dog walker, I never see anyone checking on him, and I know better than anyone what he needs. He needs to go to the dog park. Even at twelve he still loved it, even when he couldn’t keep up with the other dogs anymore. He needs to get out. I remember what he needs. I know what he needs.

           Yesterday I opened the gate to their side yard so I could get a closer look. They leave a back door open so he can go in and out when he wants to, but he’s alone all day until the mom gets home at about 5:30. It’s a nice place. They could easily afford a dog walker so I don’t know why they don’t have one. Cody’s getting toward the end again, but he needs to get out and move around and I know he’ll still love going to the dog park.

           Please, stop shaking your head. You’re looking at me like I’m crazy. I’m not going to make a habit of doing this. All I did yesterday was check on him and make sure his water bowl was full. Nobody saw me. I went back again today and he was so glad to see me. They need to get him out more so why not with me?  

           What? Why would you think that? Do you really think I would do that? Is that what you think? OK, what gave it away? Was it that obvious? Fine, Cody is in the car. Do you want to see him? Should I go get him? I’m taking him to the dog park after this, but just for twenty minutes and then I’m taking him back. I swear. Please, please, put your phone down. Who are you calling? It’s really Cody and I can prove it. I am not crazy.

June 21, 2024 08:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.