0 comments

Romance Coming of Age Friendship

Dr. Prashant Kumar Sharma had been employed in Birla Institute of medical science and also had under his control three more colleges. His job as a doctor was to look after those student studying there. He had three sons and two daughters. His eldest son Mukesh got had a good job in Delhi where his first daughter Mala was also married and settled. His second son Rakesh got a job in computer company named Wipro and he stayed in 28 Chrrysalis, Pune.

      Mr. Prashant Sharma along with this wife Prabha devi decided to stay there. His last son Suresh was a bachelor and he was studying in M.C.A final and he had Bajaj dominar. He started in new clinic in Wagholi near is Residence jus to spend in his time. In very short time of six months his clinic was swarmed with several patients.

Very shortly after the doctor was threatened by gundas group of Beriya, Dholi and Gujarath Bori to leave not only  wagholi but leave Pune. The leader of the gundas came  with six men and ordered him to close clinic and just then broke one of a chairs by banging on it with their leather shoes. He also slapped  him on his cheeks  by shouting “(sale, ben chod, kamine, teri ma ka.. tu yaha kyu aaya hai.? ) basted, sister fucker, you mean fellow why the hell  you have come here you mothers f……. (apani dukan ko tala laga varana aisi mar khayega ke nani yad aa jayegi) lock your shop otherwise we will beat you so much that you will remember your grand mum  .”

              A week or ten days after that loafers’ group came again and demanded why he had not left Wagholi and that day they broke his three chairs and Also thrashed him on his hands and knees. It was simply useless to report the matter to the Police Headquarters as the Police was in liaison with those Wagholi goons. The doctor had to be hospitalized and he remained bed-ridden for two weeks. During these days those loafers group set ablaze the clinic. The poor doctor was left with no option but to go to Delhi To stay with Mukesh his eldest son. A few days later his wife too left for Delhi. How could she stay in Pune When her husband was no more there in Pune!           

      India not provoke Mukesh and other sons. Segregation Dr Prashant was forced and threatened with several calls from those goons and even when he had Left Pune , they continued telling him not to ever think Of entering the precincts of Pune. This meant that he could not ever meet his two sons Rakesh and Suresh And also his grand child and daughter-in-law! We can also come in Delhi or Patna and kill you in any city of And hatred for people of other States was an ingrained Deeply in these people. Besides this truth there was also another reason and one other low caste Wagholi doctor had lost all of his clients and it is that doctor who had approached these goons. Segregation is deeply rooted in the soils of this country.. Out of fear the old couple remained quiet and did

                   Four years had just gone like a butterfly smelling the myriad fragrances of beautiful row of flowers. Suresh the youngest son of Dr Shailendra got an appointment in WIPRO and it was a Matter of very good luck that goddess Tyche, Fortuna or Laxshmi maa had graced this boy.

              One of the days Sharmila asked Sudesh if she would like to come for coffee break with her! Sudesh asked Suresh if he would like to join both of them! He only pretended to be unwilling but then also assented.

…………………………………………………………………..

Sharmila: “ Look here Suresh we have been meeting each other every now and then”

“ Yes that’s true , so………”

“ How many times can you guess ?”

“fifteen or eighteen times?”

“ No no you are so very wrong! Men are so forgetful.

We have met each other fifty times and you kissed me

A lot!”

“ May be you are right. Should I kiss you now? “Without any warning he folded his arms around her

And began kissing  her for long long time.

                   She too lost her senses and forgot what she had to say. The sensual excitement was so hot that she

Caught him fully  engrossed. Sharmila could hardly control herself. Something then happened.

………………………………………………………………

‘ Are we in love?’

‘ Perhaps..’

She slapped him mildly ‘YOU BLOODY  HELL’

Ranjan Dholi had been forced by circumstances to contact the doctor whom he had thrashed him and

Spread his clinic in flames four years back.

               Sharmila Beraiya his neice and for her sake Ranjan flew to Delhi in order to meet THE DOCTOR

Whom he had beaten and made him leave Pune. Suresh had told Sharmila in clear words that he could not marry her without his parents permission. He reached the doctor’s residence and went on waiting for him for more than an hour.

‘” Oh doctor sahib mujhe maaf ker do . mai bahut jyada sharminda hun. Aap mujhe maro peeto per kya karun.

Mai apni beti jaisi ke liye aaya hun. ) OH doctor Sir please for heaven sake pardon me. I am awfully ashamed for what I did with you. You beat me hundred

Slaps. I have come to you for my daughter and niece Sharmila who loves your son Suresh.’

‘” You get out of my house . I don’t want to see your face. Get lost and go to hell.’”

              By this time Suresh too had come to Delhi.

“ You want to marry his niece Do you?”

“ YES father but not at the cost of displeasing you and

Mom too.”

“ If I don’t , will you go and do the marriage through court. You are both adults and I cannot stop you.”

‘” No not at all. I am the last person to hurt you papa”

He began to cry like a five years old child.

              The family sat together and all the three brothers, mother, his Sisters discussed the issue for three hours.

        …………………………………………………………………

Ranjan; “ Please Sir excuse me for my sins . Please Sahib pardon me. He took off his turban and placed it

Into the feet of the Doctor. The doctor’s wife advised her husband not to break the hearts of his youngest son and that girl who loves him. She told him to forget

“Whatever  Ranjan had done. He is sorry for the injustice done unto you. Let us patch up the matter.

Why should we continue the animosity still now” His

Two elder sons also persuaded the matter with their

Father and finally he acquiesced without protest. The

Whole family wanted to agree and then how could he disagree.

                     Finally after long hours spent in discussion and persuasion that had gone on for several hours, the

General consensus was in favour of the wedding. Thus a boy of a Brahmin family got wedded to a Maharashtrian girl of Dholis, a lower caste. Differences of segregation of state, caste, community where had all vanished ?

                The wedding took place exactly a month after at Hotel Gargi.

                          Dr Shailendra started his clinic once again. Ranjan himself got him a clinic in a very good area of Pune. When the doctor forbid him to help him,,

He bent again in obedience; “ Please don’t insult me Sir. I am your humble servant for my whole life.”

December 16, 2020 15:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.