0 comments

Fiction Speculative

“Dang it! It wasn’t supposed to rain today!” I shout as I look out the window and see my brand-new seats in my brand-new car get wet with rain. I run down the stairs to head off the rain.

“Babe, what’s going on?” Lisa asks as I run by her in the kitchen.

“My windows are down and it’s raining!” I ramble opening the door.

Looking out the kitchen window seeing not one cloud in the sky with the sun blazing Lisa whispers to herself, “Um, what rain?”

I run outside leaping off the porch, only to see blue skies and sunshine all around. “I swear I saw it raining,” I ramble to myself in disbelief. “Unreal.” Confused I go ahead and put the windows up and head inside.

“Rexxie, are you feeling alright?” Lisa asks as a doctor would to their patient.

“Yeah, I was in my office, looked out the window and thought I saw rain getting my seats wet,” I reply in disbelief.

“Too much sugar in your coffee again? You know how you get when your sugar rises,” She says cheekily.

“Ha-ha, thanks for the support Hun.” I sit down at the table and check my cell. Two new emails, one from Rob asking about the parking garage plans.

Coming behind me Lisa asks, “Hungry? I’m making a grilled cheese sandwich.”

“Sure Hun, that’d be great,” I reply. She kisses my cheek and makes us a snack.

Grabbing my laptop, I look over the details for the parking garage project. Noticing a huge flaw in the design, I think this will put the project behind another two weeks. Rob will not be happy.

“Put that away please,” Lisa demands putting a melty, cheesy sandwich in front of me. I know that look and put the computer to the side.

As we sit Lisa slathers the perfect grilled cheese with ketchup. “I don’t know how you can eat-" boom! A bolt of lightning thunders right outside making us jump.

“Dang it!” Lisa exclaims, “This is brand new.” She had squirted ketchup all over her new blue dress when the lightning struck.

I grab her some napkins and look out the window watching the rain come down in buckets, “Where did that come from?” I ask rhetorically.

“I don’t know but I better change,” she says, and we finish our lunch.

 I head back to my office as Lisa changes. It starts to get dark; the rain starts to recede. Going over the plans one more time and I confirm the building flaw. I call Rob to give him the news. “Hey Rob,” I say somberly.

“Rex, I don’t like that tone. What’s up?” my manager replies.

“Well boss, nothing good. I found a critical flaw in the parking garage design. It could crack at the northwest corner. The ground is too soft and if it rains too much it will sink.”

“Rex its fine, the geologist told us the ground is good enough.”

“Yeah, that was before we moved the elevators and stairs to that corner” I reply with some boom.

“Look man, you’re just overthinking this.” Rob replies.

With hype I say, “No I’m not! I am just doing my job Rob.”

“And I’m doing my job and telling you its fine and let’s push forward. Don’t forget who signs the checks Rex.”

“Ok, ok have it your way.” I reply

“Alright, get some rest dude. You just need to sleep on it” Rob ensures.

“Yeah I guess, goodnight.”

“Bye”

Looking out the window, Maybe he’s right.

Suddenly out of nowhere with a blinding snap of lightning strikes once more. In the window a scene of a parking garage is revealed. The corner cracks and buckles while water runs underneath the foundation. Walls start to sag. Chunks of concrete fall to the ground, then the building starts to fall. An unknowing elevator passenger gets stuck inside.

Whoa, what the heck was that. I need some sleep. This job is getting to me I think, and I head to the bedroom.

Crawling into bed, Lisa notices my distance, “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, this project is starting to get to me Is all. How’s our little boy doing in there?” I reply rubbing her belly.

“Boy? Dude, no way. It’s a girl for sure.” She smirks. “Anyway, I am exhausted, goodnight honey.”

“Night,” I say kissing her.

I toss and turn thinking about the image in the window. What’s up with that? Am I going flipping crazy? Finally, I drift to sleep.

***

At breakfast Lisa asks, “You think we should get new windows?”

I reply, “Why do you ask?”

“Well, they are single pane and we probably should get more efficient ones at some point.”

“That’s a good idea, but I’m not sure we should spend that kind of money on our first house” I reply while crunching on some hard spinach quiche she made.

“Wait, there’s going to be a second one? I kind of like it out here Rexxie,” she says seeing my facial expression, “How is it?”

“Mmm, its ahh-tasty, anyway let’s get this baby out first before we start making too many changes,” I say as I kiss my beautiful wife.

“Yeah, it’s getting close” Lisa says with her cute little hands clasped around her swollen belly.

“I got to run to the office babe.”

"Okay, give me another kiss,” Lisa replies.

“You’re so demanding sometimes you know that,” I grin kissing her.

“Someone has to keep you in line; besides you like it,” she snaps back as I walk towards the door.

“Mmmhmm, I just looove it. Ok, love you.”

“Love you too, have a good day.” Lisa waves.

I get halfway to the office and remember I forgot my computer. “Shoot! I do this all the dang time,” shouting to the road I turn around back to the house.

“Oh, you missed me that much huh?” Lisa smirks as I walk in.

“You know it! Nah, I forgot my laptop again.” I reply running up the stairs. Entering the office, I look out the window when suddenly another image reflects from the it. Seeing my wife in the pantry looking for a sweet snack her water breaks and screams for me.

“What the heck” I whisper. Maybe Lisa is right, we do need new windows.

My phone rings, its Rob. “Hey Rob, I was just heading in.”

“No need Rex, just send the file now.”

“Wait, I wanted to show you what I was talking about last night before we start construction,” I reply.

“Listen Rex, we talked about this. Besides I spoke to the head geologist over at GeoTech this morning. He said its finem” Rob barks.

“You need to talk to Marley; she is the field geologist for this project,” I bark back.

“No Rex! Send it now or I’ll find someone else to sign the approval!”

“Rex! Rex! The baby! My water broke!” my wife screams.

“I got to go; Lisa is calling for me,” I reply frantically.

“Rex if you don’t-" click, ending the call I run to my wife who’s in the pantry. I see the floor is wet.

“Are you okay?” putting her in my arms.

“Yeah, I think she’s ready to come out Rexxie.”

“Ahh you mean him,” Kissing my wife. “Well, let’s get you to the hospital.”

***

We speed to the hospital.

After the gynecologist Dr. Shultz checks here out, she says to my wife, “Well, you’re not going into labor yet. Its probably going to be a while. You can go home or stay here.”

Looking out the window I see the GeoTech building and remember that dang image in the weird window.

“I think you should stay here babe. Just in case the baby thinks it's time sooner than later and I’ll call your mom. Sorry Hun, but I have to do something really quick, I’ll be right back,” I kiss her and her belly.

“Um, okay Rex. Don’t be too long. I want Iris to be in her daddy’s arms right away,” Lisa scorned.

“Iris huh? I promise, wouldn’t miss this for anything. You will understand later”

I head to the elevator. Dang too slow. Practically running I head down the stairs and cross the street to GeoTech.

“Excuse me is Marley in?” I ask the clerk.

“Yes, she’s––” “Ok thanks,” I interrupt and head to her office.

“Oh, hey Rex, how can I help you?” Marley asks in shock of my barging in.

“Sorry my wife’s in labor and I don’t have much time. The parking garage project is being pushed too soon. They moved the elevators and stairs to the other side of the building. That ground is less stable.”

“Rex, my boss already told me its fine.”

“Did he actually look at the plans. That ground won’t hold 10 more tons of concrete and steel. Please, you know that site better than anyone.” I bellow.

“Okay, okay Rex. I’ll look at it.” Marley gives in.

“Thank you, Marley! I got to go.” I reply running back to my wife.

I call Lisa’s mom, “Hey Sue, you’re about to be a grandma; you might want to get to the hospital.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful, I’ll be right there” Sue replies.

I get back to Lisa as she starts to go into labor. “Hey honey, how are you?” I ask.

“Oh, this sucks! She is strong willed. Hold my hand!” Lisa demands.

I smile, do as I am told and say, "Just like her mom."

***

After six hours of labor, the baby is born.

“It’s a girl!” The nurse says, putting her in Lisa’s arms.

Sue asks, “What’s her name going to be?”

“Iris,” I say and kiss my new daughter on the head.

Lisa asks me, “Want to hold her?”

“Of course!” I say and grab hold of my beautiful little baby girl. I walk near the window, remembering that odd single pane window at home.

My phone vibrates on the table with a message. I read the text: Hey Rex, you were right. That ground won’t hold if it rains. I’m putting the project on hold. Congrats on the baby!

I say to my exhausted wife, “Maybe we should keep the windows for now.”

June 10, 2021 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.