2 comments

Romance

Decision

“Jemima, don’t take this the wrong way but I do find your body attractive.”

I could feel my eyes rolling to the back of my head. I don’t believe it.

“Let’s just stick to the intellectual part.” I reply.

“Are we seriously debating about your body now? He asked feigning a frown. You need to work on your self esteem baby girl. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve ‘them' big or small. I appreciate you just fine.” He was trying hard to make me happy.

To be honest, I felt better hearing those words. I haven’t always been high on self-image and having a 6ft 5 tanned looking man with a built body, a beautiful face and decent character wooing a 5ft 1 plain Jemima, doesn’t exactly me feel any better. I admit, I love the way he looks at me and through those monolids. They way he nibbles at his lips to keep him from smiling and how he makes me feel comfortable. My hands itched to touch the scar that ran from his shoulder blades down his left biceps. I had seen it many times when he had gone shirtless while working on his car. He was wearing a loose shirt now and I could only peek at from below. What if I asked him to remove it? That thought quickly vanished as I remembered that mum was listening in on our conversation and his was peeing through the window panes. I wondered what he was thinking as he twirled my hair in his fingers. We are outside for good sakes, social distance? He is probably waiting for an answer that won’t leave my mouth. We stared at each other for a while, the only actual object in between was a short fence that separated the two houses.

“Jemima!” Great!

“That must be your mum. I don’t want to get you in trouble.” He winked, blew a kiss and left.

“Jemima?” She called again.

“I am coming.” I ran

1-2-3-4 steps. As soon as I got in through the front door, someone started whistling.

“What’s up sister. Wiggles his brows. The neighbour’s son huh?”

Meet Red, my sixteen years old brother. I miss the times, I would just flip him over the knee and 'whoop' his ass.

“Mum, where are you?” I walked sneakily into the kitchen. I do not want any surprises.

“Oh, there you are my darling. Tea?” She hands over a cup and points to my room.

“Mum, what’s going on?” I asked because she only prepares the African bitter tea when she wants to have 'the talk'.

I stay leaning on the closed door. “Nothing! I just want you to tell me what’s going on between you and Mr. Castle's son. (Pauses). Red, I can see your feet!”

“Oh Oh!” Red scurries away.

“You don’t have to worry, mum. I got it under control.” That was a bad lie.

“Under control! hmmm. She starts tapping her feet.

“Okay, he asked me out.” I finally say.

“And?”

“I haven’t exactly said yes.” I go sit on the bed.

“Okay? Why?” She joins me.

“ Mum, you know it’s not easy…”

“Is this about your looks again? She collects the cup which I have been holding rather awkwardly and places it on a desk.

I am your mother and won’t lie to you. Holds my hands. You are perfect just the way you are. Your eyes icy blue eyes and piggy nose sits just right. And come on, team white teeth. Ha-ha.

Your curves are just perfect for your eyes and your voice can soothe a storm. Sometimes, we pay too much attention to what the world deems as flaws and we forget that it’s that 'flaws' that makes us unique.

I have watched you grow these years and I am proud to know that you came out well. The proceeds from your college project in college bought us this house, pays your brother’s tuition and cleared our debt. And yet, you still have respect for me.

Your sense of responsibility, loyalty and diligence in whatever you do, motivates me. I am sure your father would have been so proud of you. She draws closer and places both hands on my shoulders.

You are a strong, independent, 22 years old young lady and you deserve fine things baby. So don’t let a 6ft 5 hotshot make you feel less of yourself.”

“That’s right sister!” Red cuts in from outside the door.

I was moved to tears

“He doesn’t make me feel like that mum. It’s me.” Trying to defend him.

“Well, I hope I don’t have to repeat myself. We’ve been praying for the right man to come your way but if you show him out, then it will all be in vain. I am not vouching for Isaac but he seems like really good fellow. Do you know he came to ask for permission before he asked you?”

*What! He did that?” I was shocked

Yes, he did that two months ago but you were too busy with trying to settle down into your new job. So I asked him to give you some time. Then he travelled out to prepare for the states championship. The quarantine gave him a good opportunity. Jemima, I am totally in support If you decide to date him.”

“Thank you, mum. I felt relieved and truly confident now. But then why were you eaves dropping?”

“Girl, I am still your momma. I don’t want that boy to go past his boundaries. He should know there someone looking out for you. Tea?”

“No, thank you!”

“Okay." She takes the cup and opens the door to find Red in the middle of retreat.

“Mum, I was just leaving. Umm, going to my room?”

“Tea!” This was certainly not a question.

“No! Mum, I am full.” He gesticulates with his hands

“I said, tea!”

“Thank you, mum.” And the door goes shut.

Ever since the lockdown began, we have been relying mostly on the vegetables, tubers and berries planted in our garden at the backyard. We have food stocked at home so number doesn’t to go the grocery store unless for emergencies. In the mornings, we wet yes garden and check around for weeds. We were done with work this morning when I sighted a shirtless Isaac with shorts. He waved first.

“ Hey, farm girl! How are you this morning?

"Ha-ha. I am doing well. How are you?”

“I’m great. So, we haven’t talked for a week. Have I done something wrong? Are you avoiding me, Jem? He looked unhappy.

Neither of us had the other's number and I kind of felt guilty for not trying to reach out even when I saw him. I just wanted to be sure, he was what I wanted.

“Great!” He replied.

“I have been thinking.”

“I know you’ve been thinking.” He tried smiling.

“And (pause) I accept.”

He looked indifferent at first and then slowly, it hit him. “Wait what? I’m sorry, I was actually preparing for the worst. I am so happy, I feel like carrying you. Can I carry you?”

“No! I am sweaty ” I cried out.

“Hey, it’s okay. I don’t mind.” He pulls me in for a kiss

“Jemima!”

Ha-ha-ha-ha! We both brake into bouts of laughter. My mum sure has good timing.

The Story Continues...

August 07, 2020 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

S. Closson
23:28 Aug 15, 2020

I really liked your story! I feel like it highlights how we can be our worst critics at times, especially when it comes to body image. Just keep an eye on your punctuation/formatting and keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Estelle Westley
09:06 Aug 13, 2020

I enjoyed that you showed that not even the pandemic social distancing can keep us from being social creatures. Don't stop writing. I would love if you would give my M & M a read and a comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.