Midnight library talks

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

3 comments

Teens & Young Adult LGBTQ+ Romance

The library was magical at night. The fairy lights lit up the dark corners making the book's golden covers shine like the sun itself were hidden in the binding. The smell of fresh-baked cookies wafted through the building even though no food was allowed in this room. Ari didn't care though she skipped into the soft light waving the picnic basket around her arm and holding the checkered blanket tucked under her armpit. She unfurled the blanket onto the ground and plopped down like a child. I let out a tiny laugh as she smiled at me devilishly, she was wearing a light pink dress that flowed down her body like water down rocks on a hill.

"What?" Ari said as she saw me watching her. I felt a smile grace my lips and I responded in my deep voice,

"Nothing, you're just a pretty sight to look at. After all, I have been looking at old hags all day. I mean working as a librarian is not exactly the hot spot for beautiful women." She blushed slightly when I indirectly called her beautiful, Ariadna can only be described as drop-dead gorgeous. Olive tan skin that you could not get from a fake tan, blue-green eyes that I often got lost in, and flowing brown hair. Today her hair was down and it cascaded down onto her shoulders and fell to the hem of her dress.

"Are you going to come over here or just fawn over me, my love?" She added the second part as an afterthought but it still made me smile. I laughed quietly and sat down next to her on the soft blanket, she instinctively scooted over and laid her head on my shoulder. Her curls fell down onto my chest and I nestled my nose into her sweet-smelling head. I smiled and breathed in her strong scent.

"How did you even get the permission to do this, I mean aren't we breaking like ten rules?" I said quietly, my head still resting on hers. She looked up at me and held my gaze with the same intensity my eyes had. "Ari," I said tilting my head to the side slightly, she pulled away from me and mimicked my pose. Her eyes were full of fire and I felt my breath hitch when she spoke in the breathy tone that she only used when she was nervous.

"I asked the owner if I could use it tonight, and he just jumped at the chance. I can be very persuasive...." Her voice dripped lower at the last few words and she smiled. I let out a hearty laugh and kissed her forehead. “Alright if we sit here cuddling all night all the food I made will go to waste.” She murmured then turned to grab the picnic basket, she put it down in the middle of them. 

“Oh no, get your little butt over here, I am not going to have a picnic without you in my arms.” With that, I grabbed her and pulled her into my lap. Once we were comfortable I kissed her neck and then pulled open the basket of food. 

For the next two hours, we ate and laughed until we were stuffed and exhausted. She was snuggled against me with her nose in the nape of my neck, her legs were tangled up with mine and I was lazily tracing words on her softback, “I love you, my darling. You are beautiful, honey.” Suddenly she was standing up and my body missed her warmth, she held out her hand to help me up. I glared at her hand and she gave me a pouty face. I sighed and grabbed it, pulling on her to help me up. As soon as I was on my feet she was gone, with me in her wake. She practically pushed me up the stairs, I walked up them and when I pushed open the door at the top I was in shock. I had never seen the roof at night before. It was magical with the stars shining like the sparkles on the card Ari made me for my birthday. I turned to face her and pulled her into a kiss. Her lips were soft while mine were chapped, I pulled away and changed my attention to marveling at the stars. 

“Beautiful isn’t it.” She stated it as a comment not really a question anyways,

“Yes but nowhere near as beautiful as you. Ari, you are a sight for sore eyes.” My low tone made it all the more serious. Her eyes sparkled and a rosy blush graced her bronze complexion and she smiled.

“Thank you, you're not that bad either.” She said laughing, I mocked hurt, and murmured,

“If I'm really that bad to look at then why are you dating me?” I was still playing along and moved my face closer to hers. 

“Well, I don’t think there are much better options in the area, unless you want me dating old hags. And like you said earlier besides them there is not much more to look at than you. And I love you.” She responded drawing out the last and, and then meeting my face with hers kissed me softly. I smiled at the feel of it, the familiarity of her smell, her soft flesh pressing against my body as she wrapped an arm around the back of my neck deepening it. When we finally pulled away I walked over to the edge of the roof. 

“I really do love it up here. We should come more often,” She grunted an approving grunt came up behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist and putting her head on my shoulder. She had a look of almost discomfort, yet it was mostly anxiety. “Ari, what's wrong?” I spun to face her as I said this taking her face in my hands. 

“I came out to my parents, Mia. They hate me.” She started sobbing and I pulled her against my chest holding her close, nobody could hurt her. “They kicked me out, that's why I had access to the Library, I’ve been staying here because I have nowhere else to go.” She was shaking in my embrace and I wanted to go beat up her parents. 

“Come live with me.” Not stay, not visit, live. The words were out of my mouth before I could even think about them, I meant every word though. She looked up at me, her eyes were hopeful. She almost looked like a little kid about to get cotton candy. 

“Really? You mean it?” She asked cautiously even though she knew my answer,

“Of course! I love you, why would I turn you away? Don’t answer that.” She jumped up and kissed me, my girlfriend kissed me, and one day my wife.

May 01, 2021 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nyx :)
16:47 May 20, 2021

Hi! I love this story and I think you did a very good job on it! I also wanted to say that I'm in love with your profile pic! I love all of the colors :D

Reply

K. Andrews
18:04 Jun 04, 2021

aw, thank you so much! I really needed this, I was thinking about quitting writing. btw ur profile picture is on point :D

Reply

Nyx :)
20:09 Jun 04, 2021

well i'm really happy you didn't!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.