The Flower & The Moon

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Happy

Her lungs expanded in a way that she had never known they could. The feel of the flowing breeze brushed against her cheek. She smiled at the whisper of words the wind said as it reassured her. Standing in the middle of the park, people rushed about enjoying the festival. Above her head, the giant orange sign read “New Valley’s Spring Equinox Gala”. 

She smiled at the new possibilities of what the next 12 hours would allow for her to experience. Her heart fluttered like the wings of a hummingbird. Her smile rivaled the sun’s mid-morning shine. She wrapped her arms around her body, feeling her delicate skin. Unlike the skin, she knew before, but delectable in every way. She had imagined this day for so long and it is already so magical. The first day of Spring, her first time enjoying it this way. 

“Where are your shoes,” a husky voice said behind her. 

She spun around discovering a gentleman, a few inches taller than her, looking at her toes as they dug in the ground. She followed his gaze to her feet and back up at him. She opened her mouth, but words seemed to be stuck in her chest. He raised an eyebrow waiting for her reply. 

The wind came back around from its trip encircling the spring gala, and it kissed her cheek. A little nudge to get her going. The words started to make their way up and past her lips. 

“I like the feel of the ground. The dirt. It reminds me of home.” She marveled at her voice. So lovely and whimsical like today, Spring’s official awakening. She smiled big at her accomplishments. 

“That is interesting,” he replied. 

She nodded her head, then stared at him with a starlight gaze of wonder. 

He cleared his throat, “So, what’s your name? Mine is Lunas.” He reached out his hand to her.

Her eyes grew brighter as she bounced in delight. 

“My name is Victoria!” 

She squealed and took his hand. Before he could realize what was happening, she started to pull him to the center of the crowd. The park had so many people welcoming in the astrological new year. New Valley always put on a celebration to mark the new beginning for their town. Out with the old, in with the refreshing new.

Victoria dashed through the crowd-pulling Lunas along with her. He was surprised at her strength and the fact that she was so happy with a stranger. Victoria stopped abruptly at the edge of the main garden of flowers. There were thousands of different species lovingly coexisting in peace. She smiled at Lunas. 

“Do you love them?” she asked him. 

He looked at the variations of flowers, admiring their beauty. He then admired her. 

“They are gorgeous. Wow! These look like your hair.” 

Lunas pointed to the white lilies that floated in a small pond in the garden. Their petals flowed up as if trying to touch the sky. Victoria glanced into the pond to look at her reflection. Looking at her almond-colored skin and then to her snow-white hair, that also much like the white lilies, reached up to the sky as if trying to shake the hands of the gods. When she touched her full locs of hair, it felt like soft wool.

Victoria couldn’t think of a more magical day. Lunas stood in delight at such a wonderful spirit. Victoria was the embodiment of joy.

“I have never seen you at the gala before,” he said to her.

“I am here every year. This is my first time like this.” She gestured to her body. “And how amazing is it that I look like my sisters still?!” She spun in a circle again.

Lunas continued to smile at her. She looked around as if she was searching for something. The people around them would glance in their direction but then went about their business enjoying the festival. 

“Can you show me what is called food?” She clapped her hands fast and danced on her feet. Ethereal like a nymph.

Lunas didn’t understand what she meant, but to be in the presence of someone who embodied happiness, he wouldn’t miss this. It was his turn to take her hand and allow her to follow him through the park.

Victoria watched the sun as it followed them around the festival. Its rays would shine on the flowers, inviting them to smile at her. When they did, she smiled back. The sun’s gaze landed on a small rolling cart of food. Lunas stopped at the cart covered with different finger foods. 

He bought a small assortment of treats while Victoria watched the people enjoying the gala. There were balloons and different artistic setups for all to enjoy. She watched one guy as he drew caricatures of different patrons walking by. Another guy painted faces with just about any creation. He was finishing up a purple dragon on a young girl’s left cheek. Not too far from there, a young woman danced with a pink ribbon while another woman played on a violin. But one thing no one could doubt, it was a celebration of being in nature. 

That warmed Victoria and she could feel herself glowing from the inside out. To be given this chance to see things from a different perspective. This world wasn’t so bad. 

Lunas walked up beside her with both hands with plates of snacks. 

“Let’s sit over in that patch of grass,” he said while pointing close to the ribbon dancer. 

Victoria skipped over to the exact spot. Feet a bit darker from the dirt she had been galivanting in all morning. When she plopped down, the wind came back around to rub against her arm. A butterfly came and sat on her shoulder while she got comfortable in the grass. Lunas handed her the food so he could sit down next to her without wasting the goods. 

When he sat down, he grabbed his plate of treats. He picked up the first cracker that had cream cheese and fruit atop it. 

“This is one of my favorite snacks while here,” Lunas began, “It has salty and sweet elements. Try it first.” He took a bite.

Victoria wiggled her fingers in anticipation. Stumbling a bit, she grabbed the cracker snack from her plate. She turned her head while bringing it up close to her eyes to examine it. She looked at each item closely. And in a split second, she put it in her mouth. She slowly chewed, moving the food around on her tongue. Each crunch released a new medley of flavors. 

“Woooooow,” she exclaimed. Lunas chuckled. “This is amazing!” She grabbed two more cracker snacks and chewed audibly.

Lunas took the next thirty minutes explaining the different snacks to Victoria. He enjoyed her enjoying everything she encountered. The day seemed to pass by quicker than either of them would have expected. The trees in the park leaned in closer to watch their rendezvous. The leaves even flourished more rapidly to be a part of this day. 

The wind carried a tune from across the park into their audible distance. The notes of the music danced upon the grass, upon each flower. The water lilies from earlier pushed the notes to them. 

Victoria took notice. “My sisters like you. Thank you for taking me around today. It has been captivating.” 

He looked to the garden and back at the sun that would soon be setting. “Yes, today has seemed like I had been waiting on it for a millennium. Thank you for being here today.”

Victoria’s aura seemed to dim. Lunas took notice. “What’s wrong?” he asked her. 

“I have to go soon.”

“It’s ok, I have to go soon as well. Will you come back to the gala again?”

She smiled as big as she had at the beginning of the day, “Oh yes! Will I see you again?”

Lunas smiled at her with his soul, “Every chance it can be allowed.” 

They held hands and walked to the edge of the park. The crowd had started to dissipate as the nightly equinox activities happened in a different part of the city. Victoria looked up at the sky, the sun almost out of sight.

“I usually see the moon around this time. That is strange.” 

Lunas watched her face, remembering every line of it. A year would be nothing. He had done this so many times. Waiting was easy. But now that she had come, would it be easy anymore? 

“I have to go,” he said. “Try not to forget today.” Forget me, he thought. 

“Oh, I could never forget today. I have to wait here. But you should go.” 

Lunas stepped a foot away. His eyes still on Victoria, her smile still so beautiful. He came back to her and hugged her tight.  Victoria hugged him back. After a few seconds, they let go. 

Lunas walked away. Halfway down the street, he looked back to where she was. She was no longer there. He turned back around and continued to walk on his path back home.

“How was today, Lunas?”

“It is funny you should ask when you watched us all day long, Sunny.”

Lunas walked through the portal that shimmered like pearl gemstones. The portal slowly took away the body he wore every year during the Spring Equinox. Sunny continued to speak to Lunas as he transformed. 

“I did watch you two. Did you know when you met her?” Sunny questioned.

“No, but I guessed. She was different than the humans in the park. And, she didn’t have any shoes on.” 

Lunas started to glow brighter with each part of the flesh falling to the ground. Sunny took a step in the similar portal that would add flesh to his being. 

“Well, I am glad that you got the opportunity to finally meet someone. But, you almost missed the curfew. And if you hadn’t returned…” 

Lunas cut Sunny off, “Yes, yes. I know what would have happened. I had it under control.”

“I am sure you did, but you need to get to the sky. She already noticed the delay.” Sunny now in flesh, wore all back attire. He slid his hands in the pockets of his black slacks. 

Lunas had started to rise in the sky. “How do you get to walk the earth so often?” He asked Sunny.

“That’s a story for another time. But maybe now that you are getting to your spot in the sky, you can check in and make sure she made it back home.”

With that, Lunas returned to light up the night sky and Sunny went on his walk.

The moon was shining down on the white water lilies in the middle of the park’s garden. Victoria looked up at the moon as if she knew. She stepped in the shallow water and walked to the center. She slowly lowered her body and crossed her legs in front of her. The water came to the center of her chest. Her soul smiled at the amazing day she finally got the chance to enjoy. She couldn’t wait until next year where she would be able to see Lunas again. She took a few steadying breaths and then she turned back into her natural self. 

The rest of the water lilies moved in closer to her. Giving her a welcome back hug. Victoria took in the light from the moon as she dug her roots deep into the earth. She twitched a petal as if telling the moon thank you for being there to experience her first day as a human. 

March 26, 2021 22:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.