Will people read something called, "Who really cares?"

Submitted into Contest #84 in response to: Start your story with a character struggling to remember the date, because every day is like the last one.... view prompt

1 comment

American Fiction Sad

Today is an easy one. It's Monday. The day working people dread and of which I'm still not a big fan. The time doesn't really matter as long as it's too early for visitors. I like knowing that I will not be disturbed. No one should be bothered when they're having their morning coffee and smokes. This should be a god-given right for all man-kind. How do I start a petition?

The air has a chill to it so I'm guessing that it's still winter. I don't see any snow outside the window (or inside either, for that matter), and I'm up before the sun so I can not judge the cloud cover, but I'm thinking cold today. Looks like I'll be staying inside. Temperature never changes in here and the only reason I'd go outside is for the sunshine. I sure as hell don't want to talk to anybody. People don't want to actually hear about me as much as they want to talk about themselves. Them asking the question is just a nicety on their part intended to get me to re-ask the question so that they may rattle on about some ailment or affliction or some shit. I do not really know because I do not really listen. I know what's coming and it would be rude to just go away, so my brain shuts off the voice (audio muted but video must continue) and I watch their eyes and watch their lips move while my thoughts are internal and reflective. Who am I trying to fool? I'm planning my next meal and wondering when the story will stop so that I may go back inside politely. So this and weather are my excuses for staying indoors. It's easier to reflect and internalize in here by myself.

Trying to remember the last time I ventured out is more difficult a task than it is recalling something considered memorable. I go to the store and sometimes down to the river (makes reflecting easier) but I don't remember if I even did either of those the last time out. It was sunny.

I'm thinking it's April. I read somewhere about taxes and that crap always pops up in April here in good ole America. Wait! That means that it's not Winter. It's Fall! Fall is the only season that got a name change. "Did you hear about Fall? She's Autumn now." Well damn... shouldn't it be warmer outside? Is outside redundant? Is 2 cups of coffee too much?

There is no one to pull an April Fools prank on me so the 1st would have passed unnoticed. I'm guessing it's maybe the fifth or so. Thinking about it, even if I went outside and did encounter another human, it's doubtful that they would mention the date unless I asked them specifically. Without a calendar or television it's tough to keep up with the date. Especially if you don't really care. The only reason day of the week even matters is because I know people will be coming to the door. I enjoy weekends because I know this isn't going to happen. However, my visitors seldom even speak off-topic and the date is never mentioned. Without at least one coming daily, I would surely die.

The phone is also a weekday pain in the ass. It never makes a sound on the weekends. It just sits quietly. There if I would need it. Like a good bodyguard who never speaks. On weekdays it's always calls about when nurses and aides will be showing up to take care of things. They could save the trouble if they just showed up at the same damn time everyday! It doesn't really matter what time they arrive as I'm usually just lying here doing nothing but petting the cat, if she can be bothered, but I would like a schedule on the off chance I would feel adventurous and want to explore. (and reflect)

The wheelchair is my only means of transportation these days. If I can be bothered to get out of bed, it is how I get around. Since the accident I have lost everything and I think I miss the ability to walk the most. I have learned that people come and go in this life. You just have to accept that and get used to it. You can't control what other people do. You might think that the reason they go is pretty shitty... but there really is no use in crying over spilled milk. Old saying become old saying because there is usually a lot of truth buried in them. "Do unto others" is another one that comes to

mind.

Being crippled is kinda like your mind being in jail. You can think of a lot of fun things to do, you just can't do any of them. (It might not be the 5th yet, but I'm positive it's April). I have considered checking to see if anyone is outside and pondered asking (the so far invisible) them as to the date today, but I wonder two things. Will they think I'm dumb for asking and will they even know? This brings to mind the question of their honesty. Will they be telling me the truth? They could lie and I would never know. Why would they lie? (We're getting a look inside my mind now) They might lie to appear intelligent or just to me having a laugh at my expense.

I've changed my mind. Going out just to ask the date is stupid. We live each and every day in our minds just trying to make the day livable without any stress or worries. Sure, If you work and lead a normal life, you may need to know the date. Good for you. Or sorry for you... however suits you. But for those of us who spend everyday just waiting for death to (hopefully) see that one morning you do not awaken. As for the date this happens...Who really cares?

March 08, 2021 12:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yvone Mthembu
07:28 Mar 18, 2021

One word Perfect 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.