0 comments

Contemporary Friendship Fiction

Sophia sat at her kitchen table, her laptop open to the meticulously organized schedule she had been refining for weeks. Today was going to be perfect. The kind of day that left you feeling accomplished, like all the puzzle pieces of your life had finally fallen into place. She glanced at the clock: 6:00 AM. Right on time.

Sophia’s day was mapped out to the minute. She would start with a brisk jog, followed by breakfast at her favorite café, then a few hours of uninterrupted writing at the library, lunch with her best friend Ava, and finally an evening spent painting in her studio. Her beagle, Bailey, would accompany her on the jog and then enjoy a leisurely afternoon nap at home. For Sophia, there was a soothing rhythm to a well-planned day, like the ticking of a clock in perfect harmony.

With her running shoes on and Bailey wagging his tail excitedly, she stepped out into the crisp morning air. The city was just waking up, and she smiled at the stillness. Sophia’s jog followed a familiar path: past the park, over the bridge, and down a quiet street lined with brownstones. Bailey bounded ahead, his floppy ears flapping in the wind. She inhaled deeply, savoring the scent of dewy grass and fresh coffee brewing in a nearby café. Everything was going according to plan.

But then, her phone buzzed. Sophia frowned, her rhythm slightly disturbed as she glanced at the screen. It was a text from her boss, Tom: **“Need to talk. ASAP.”**

Sophia sighed, pulling to a stop. She wasn’t due at work today—this was her scheduled day off. She hesitated before replying, “Is it urgent?” She hoped it could wait until tomorrow, but the reply was almost instant: **“Really need to sort this today. Could be a quick call.”**

Her stomach twisted. This wasn’t on the schedule. But she couldn’t ignore Tom. She found a bench and dialed his number, listening as it rang. Tom’s voice came through, rushed and tense. He explained how a critical report for a client had gone awry and needed revisions by the afternoon. Sophia listened, nodding even though Tom couldn’t see her. As soon as the call ended, she sighed. There went the perfect start to her day.

Sophia trudged home with Bailey trotting beside her, his usual pep dampened by the morning’s unexpected detour. She booted up her laptop and got to work, her mind racing through the revisions. Time ticked away as she typed furiously, her once-pristine schedule now an afterthought. An hour passed, then two, and finally, at 10:30 AM, she hit “Send” on the finished report.

Relief washed over her, but the morning was already slipping away. Determined not to let this ruin her day, she glanced at the clock. She could still make it to her favorite café, albeit later than planned. She quickly changed and grabbed her bag, but as she stepped outside, she noticed dark clouds gathering in the sky.

By the time she reached the café, the first drops of rain had begun to fall. Sophia rushed inside, her clothes slightly damp. She ordered her usual—a latte and a croissant—and sat by the window, watching the rain turn from a drizzle into a downpour. The café was crowded, noisier than usual, and she struggled to find her usual calm. She took a sip of her latte, only to grimace—it was too bitter. The barista must have used the wrong beans.

She pushed the cup aside, her frustration building. Sophia tried to refocus, to remind herself that this was just a small hiccup. But her phone buzzed again. This time, it was Ava: **“Running late, sorry! Can we push lunch back by an hour?”**

Sophia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was just one of those days. She replied, “Sure, no problem,” trying to keep the annoyance out of her message. She decided to head to the library early to get some writing done. At least that part of her day could go as planned.

When she arrived, the library was quieter than the café, a sanctuary of hushed whispers and the soft rustling of pages. She settled into her favorite corner and opened her laptop, eager to dive into her work-in-progress. But as she started typing, a persistent beeping sound broke her concentration. Sophia looked around, spotting a maintenance worker tinkering with the smoke detector on the ceiling.

The beeping continued, and Sophia felt her patience wearing thin. She tried to drown it out, but every time she found her flow, the shrill sound would jolt her back. After half an hour, she gave up, shutting her laptop with more force than necessary. She packed up and left, her nerves frayed.

Lunch with Ava was next, and Sophia hoped that her friend’s easygoing nature would lift her spirits. She arrived at the restaurant, her umbrella struggling against the wind. Ava was already there, waving from a corner booth. Sophia slid into the seat, grateful to see a familiar face.

“Hey, sorry about the delay,” Ava said, her smile warm. “Crazy morning.”

“Don’t even get me started,” Sophia replied, managing a small laugh. “Everything’s just… off today.”

They ordered, and for a moment, things seemed to settle. Sophia felt the tension in her shoulders ease as they chatted about work, family, and their weekend plans. But when the food arrived, Sophia’s heart sank. She had ordered her favorite salad, but what sat in front of her was a soggy mess—overdressed and wilted. Sophia stared at it, feeling a mix of irritation and defeat.

Ava noticed and reached across the table, giving Sophia’s hand a reassuring squeeze. “You okay?”

Sophia forced a smile. “Yeah, it’s fine. Just one of those days.”

After lunch, Sophia’s schedule called for an afternoon painting session in her studio—a chance to unwind and channel her emotions into something creative. But when she arrived, she found a note taped to the door: **“Building maintenance today. Please keep noise to a minimum.”**

Sophia groaned. She had been planning to work on a piece that involved power tools—specifically a loud, buzzing sander to shape a wooden canvas. She set up her easel anyway, determined to make the best of it. But her mood had soured, and every brushstroke felt wrong. The colors on her palette looked muddy, the lines awkward and forced.

The rain outside continued to pour, and the sound of hammers and drills from the maintenance crew echoed through the building. Sophia tried to focus, but her thoughts kept drifting to the morning’s interruptions, the botched report, the bitter coffee, and the miserable lunch. By the time she put her brush down, the canvas was a mess of frustrated strokes and half-formed ideas.

Sophia packed up, feeling defeated. This was supposed to be her day—a perfect, well-orchestrated symphony of everything she loved. But nothing had gone right. She walked home in the rain, her umbrella doing little to keep her dry.

When she got home, Sophia sank onto the couch, staring at the ceiling. She thought about her meticulously planned schedule, now in shambles. Every minute she had mapped out so carefully felt wasted. She sighed, feeling foolish for having expected perfection.

Her phone buzzed again. Sophia almost ignored it, but when she glanced at the screen, she saw a message from Ava: **“Hope the rest of your day gets better. You’re amazing, even when things don’t go as planned. Let’s catch up soon.”**

Sophia smiled. The words were simple, but they meant everything. She realized that she had spent the entire day trying to force her plans into reality, and when they didn’t fit, she had let it ruin everything else. But maybe, just maybe, there was a different way to look at it.

Sophia got up, still damp from the rain, and went to her kitchen. She made herself a cup of tea, savoring the warmth as it filled her hands. She pulled out her sketchbook, a small, personal project she had been working on in quiet moments. No deadlines, no expectations—just doodles of things that made her happy: flowers, random patterns, faces of strangers she saw on the street.

She spent the next hour sketching, letting her mind wander. There was no plan, no schedule to follow. Just the sound of rain against the windows and the soft scratch of pencil on paper. It wasn’t what she had envisioned for the day, but in its own way, it was perfect.

Sophia realized that sometimes the most meaningful moments come from the things you don’t plan. The imperfections, the setbacks, the little surprises that force you to pause and adapt. She thought about the day and laughed softly. Maybe it hadn’t been perfect, but it had been real, and that was enough.

As she put away her sketchbook, Sophia made a mental note: next time, she would leave a little more room in her schedule for the unexpected. After all, life rarely follows a script, but that’s what made it beautiful.

September 01, 2024 08:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.