0 comments

Suspense Science Fiction Speculative

I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling wide awake. Sighing I glanced at my clock, 5:58... so close. I promised myself I wouldn’t get up before 6:00 am. Today was far too important to be sleep-deprived, I had to be at my best. The second hand in my clock ticked so slowly, seeming to mock me in the anticipation. 

“That’s it!” I declared to my empty room, “I’m getting up!” Leaping out of bed, I knocked over my clock with satisfaction and watched it fall to the ground.

The last Day of Sun had been a decade ago, I was only 12 at the time. In these last few weeks, it had felt like a distant dream but today, as I got dressed, the memory was sharp in my mind. I remember the feeling of raw natural light on my face, dangerous but dazzling. A light that wasn’t fabricated and filtered; the kind that didn’t make the people around you look sickly with its green hue. 

I scarfed down my breakfast, fuelled by excitement. I’d chosen meal cube #13 today, and it looked as bad as it tasted. I really hadn’t soaked it long enough and it was still hard inside. However, today it was especially important to have all the nutrients I needed so I swallowed what I could. 

I ran out my door, it was only 6:30 but the city was wide awake. It was strange to see people flooding the streets, all heading to the same place. People I hadn’t seen face to face in years wandered by. Someone had patched up the usually run-down streets for the festival. Though the smooth surface was rather nice, it seemed a waste to me; the streets were hardly ever used. There was really no reason nowadays to leave the comfort of our homes, especially since the upgraded system delivered meal cubes directly to your door. Even social engagements occurred inside the residential blocks where the air was less thick and musky.

I stumbled into the town square, dragged along by the flow of the people. Groups of young teenagers, too young on the last Day of Sun to remember it, chatted excitedly. Elderly folks whispered quietly, having already experienced many before. Young children held their parents' hands anxiously, not knowing what to expect.

“Welcome everyone,” boomed an authoritative voice. The crowds of people fell silent. I turned around trying to place the speaker and my eyes landed on a man, sporting a bright blue shirt. He stood with his back straight on a raised platform.

“As the head of the council, I would like to welcome you all to the Day of Sun,” he said adjusting his tie. 

“I’m sure you are all excited but before we start, I’d like to go through a few safety precautions.” He began explaining in detail the importance of safety and order in our lives. After all, we were the lucky ones, saved after earth became unsurvivable.

I tried to pay attention, but I was distracted. The man stood out among the sea of people wearing faded browns and greys. He was clearly wealthy, his blue shirt was a dead giveaway. That was an imported dye, colours like that couldn’t be made here. He probably lived in a nice area, close to the surface.

I was taken out of my daydream as people around me began to stir. The man was done talking, it was time. The crowds flowed towards the ladder, the hatch was opened and we climbed. The people were united in the same anticipation. We peered above the surface, little by little we emerged as though we were coming out of deep hibernation. The sun shone in my face; the room was full of light. A beautiful light. The kind of light people were made to stand in. It radiated off the people making us appear godly and surreal. The air was so fresh, free of dust, and free of earth. We stood in a large hexagonal banquet hall surrounded by panels of glass. I could see the sun-soaked land, so close I could almost reach out and touch it. I stood with my hands pressed against the smooth polished glass peering in wonderment. Black soil stretched as far as the eye could see. It was bare other than the occasional glass building dotting its surface. The wealthiest folks lived there, on sun-soaked soil in the light with their homes dripping in color. 

There were picnics and games, but I was happy enough to stare into the sky dreaming of life only the most privileged could have. What I would give to be able to walk out there as my ancestors once did before the land became unlivable. We had only 2 hours to stand under the warmth of the sun for that was all our city could afford. How strange it seemed to me that sunlight was once a free resource for everyone.

I watched some children play a game of ball. One kid swung a bat and hit the ball; hard. It smacked against the glass wall making a terrible sound. People glanced up from the festivities; someone pointed up at the ceiling. The room fell silent with a creeping feeling of dread. We watched as a fine crack slowly crawled along the surface of the dome. Suddenly, the room erupted in chaos. 

“Move! Get back down!” yelled the head of the city council. Parents snatched their crying children as they ran towards the trapdoor. The people became a mob, destroying everything in their path as the feeling of panic closed in. I stood frozen to the stop in shock. I could hear the pulse of my heart pounding in my chest. 

“Get moving!” yelled a man, he grabbed my arm pulling me forwards. “What are you doing?! If that crack opens the radiation from the sun will kill us all!” he shouted. I ran alongside him to the open door. He looked so familiar. I puzzled at him and in my dazed state, I realized he was one of my coworkers. He looked at least 5 years older than his profile picture and was so much taller than I had ever imagined.

We climbed urgently down the ladder. I tumbled as someone shoved me from behind. I screamed while I fell the last few meters and landed hard on my back. I could hardly breathe as I peered up at all the people frantically climbing down. It was then that I noticed a man in a bright blue shirt struggle down the first few rungs of the ladder. He reached madly for something above him, pushing men, women, and children alike aside. In a dazed horror, I realized what was about to happen. He grabbed the handle of the trapdoor and slammed it shut without hesitation. In a moment it locked into place, trapping people above the surface, and plunging our underground city into another decade of darkness.

April 16, 2021 17:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.