0 comments

Romance

You know Valentine’s Day is next month and they’re having a mixer for singles down at Lindy’s” 

“Yes, I’m aware of that wretched holiday but I wouldn’t dream of going to an event like that.” 

“Come on Naomi you’ve been single for almost 4 years, when are you going to get back out there,” Angel asked. 

I sat and thought for a moment. My best friend Angel has been trying to convince me for months to try dating again. Truthfully, I believe that I’m destined for loneliness. It’s not as depressing as it sounds. I don’t have to deal with anybody’s emotions but my own and I don’t have to worry about anybody breaking my heart. Plus nobody understands me the way that I understand me. Makes me think I should consider dating myself -

“NAOMI,” he interrupted my thought. 

“When the time is right I’ll start dating again, but right now I’m happy just being alone,”

“You always say that,” he said annoyedly.

I laughed because he was right but I always try to give him a smidge of hope but I’m committed to being a lone wolf. The TV did most of the talking after that. The silence was comfortable but I know that tired conversation put a slight damper on the vibe. Angel took off about an hour later and it was just me and my thoughts again. I pulled out my journal and began to write,

”I feel like sometimes Angel doesn’t understand that it’s written in the stars for some people to be alone. I tried and tried but love just never seemed to work out for me, and that was the sign that it’s not meant for me. I just got tired of going through the motions of falling in love just for it to go nowhere. There’s just no point in trying because it will always end the same. Just me writing books full of poetry and love letters about a love that’s never reciprocated or only temporary. Since I committed to my loneliness I found a soulmate in myself and that’s where I will remain focused.

Signing off, Naomi” 

I woke up the next day and started my morning workout  as usual and then I got a text from Angel,” You wanna get food from AJ’s later?” 

“OMG DUHH, we can meet around 5 in our normal spot?”

“Sounds like a plan,” he replied. 

I added 30 mins to my workout to account for all the pizza I was gonna eat later, because 9 times out of 10 I’m going to eat 8/8 of the slices. 

I was the first one A.J.’s in my excitement I was actually kind of early. 5 minutes before 5 I get a text from Angel:

Angel: Hey I’m actually kind of running late, you can get started without me. 

Me: Okay, you want me to order your regular? 

Angel: Actually, can you get me the meat lover with onions?

Me: Who are you and what have you done with my best friend? 

Angel: Lol, can’t I just switch it up sometimes. 

Me: I guess.

I walked to the counter to place our orders and then went over to the fountain area to get myself something to drink. As I was filling up my cup a stranger walked up to me,” Naomi?”

“Uhh yeah, do we know each other?”

“No uh - well not yet, I’m Thomas,” he said while extending his hand for me to shake. 

I gave him a puzzled stare and shook his hand awkwardly. 

“I take it Angel didn’t tell you that you were meeting me today.” 

“Um no, as a matter of fact, he did not mention it.” 

“I’m sorry, I can leave if you’re uncomfortable”

I paused for a moment,” That’s alright, I’m assuming that the meat lover with onions was your order?” 

“Guilty, that’s the best combination,” he said nervously. 

“Nothing compares to the classic pepperoni but to each its own,” I chuckled. 

I texted Angel,” I’m so mad at you” 

Angel: I know but you would have never agreed, if I just asked you

Me: Of course not!

Angel: Well, I’m hoping the pizza makes you less upset, but Thomas is a nice guy and this will be good for you!

I didn’t even respond. He was right though the pizza was a great buffer but I can’t believe he set me up on a blind date. I already hate dates in general but there’s nothing worse than a blind date. Blind dates are so awkward and forced, but I guess I’m already here. So here we sit waiting for the food to be brought out. Just silence and stares, we were off to a great start. Thomas breaks the silence, “So Angel tells me you’re a writer.”

“Yeah, I mainly write poetry but I dabble in stories, scripts, etc.”

“Really? That’s really cool. I'm not much of a writer but I’d love to see some of your work sometime.”

“I’m more on the shy side when it comes to my writing.”

“Oh, I get it, I'm not cool enough to read it yet.”

I chuckle,” Yea you’re not quite there yet Mr.Stranger.” 

He smiles and we lock eyes for a second but it’s interrupted when the food is brought out. 

We talked a bit more, over dinner. We shared some laughs and exchanged stories. I learned that he works in IT, he can play the saxophone and cello, and he likes to cook. The night was going well, but nothing I’d start jumping up and down about. Things usually always start like this before going sideways. Still, I’m surprised I actually had a good time tonight. 

“So, did I make a good first impression,” Thomas asked.

“Eh, you did okay,” I said jokingly. 

He laughed, “Well maybe we can do this again sometime, but you’ll actually know that it’s a date?”

I thought for a moment. Tonight was not a part of my plan at all but was an overall nice experience. I’m not putting any bets on this going anywhere but I don’t see any harm in continuing to get to know Thomas. 

“Sure, it’s a date.” 

February 14, 2024 05:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.