Rhode Island Revenge

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

9 comments

General


When there is nothing left to do in the world, when you have not a single care left, your level of stupidity starts to rise. I’d only just realized this when I clicked the advertisement. The one that would change my life forever.

A couple months before, I had made a mistake. One that could absolutely not be amended. I had fallen in love, for once in my life. His name was Parker. We were the perfect pair. We spent countless nights together, watching television, dancing, and cooking. Parker was so funny and smart. He loved me unconditionally.

Or so it seemed.

It was the fourth of August, 2011. I had invited Parker over for dinner and a movie. He rejected the offer. I didn’t think much of it, since he was studying for a degree in mechanical engineering. I put away all the ingredients for the exquisite dinner I was planning to put together. Instead, I ordered takeout for myself and started to work on the present I was going to give to Parker for our five month anniversary, when my phone began to vibrate. I had expected it to be Parker apologizing, but it was something much different. I had a notification on my social media about Parker. I thought it was strange since he never posted anything unless it was big news. I opened it out of curiosity. What could’ve been such a big deal that he had to post?

As soon as the picture loaded onto the screen of my phone, I screamed. Tears welled up into my eyes as I took in the picture.

Parker was at his house with another woman. His arm around her shoulder. Her fingertips caressing his curly blond hair.

I crunched to the ground, fury and sorrow boiling in my veins. I clutched my phone so hard that my knuckles went pale white.

And this is where the present day comes in.

I work from home most of the time, so I spend five hours of the day clicking and typing away on my computer. After work, I look up recipes for my dinner. So after work, I flexed my tired fingers and searched recipes for sesame chicken. I clicked on the fastest website. I was about to exit the tab when an advertisement caught my eye.

“Get revenge on your ex!” The first line read. “On Second Chances!” I had heard about this show, a drama-filled show that tried to get ex-boyfriends and girlfriends back together, with many twists and turns.

I took this as the perfect chance to get revenge on Parker. I clicked the ad and entered our names, Amelia Kine and Parker Locking. It would a be surprise for him when he gets the text about leaving little Rhode Island on the next flight to sunny California. Parker had to do it. Once your name is in the bowl, you can’t revert it.

Of course, I missed him. I would never forgive him, but nothing could compare to his soft lips and gentle smile. I had a spark of hope that this show would let him realize his mistake once and for all.

In one week, I would be on the plane to a place I would never forget. For now, I hum happily with the smell of sesame chicken wafting around my house, filling the rooms with warm, comforting, aromas and a soft glow filling the house.


One week later, I was driving with the radio faintly singing. I was getting to the airport a little later then I had expected. I wondered if Parker was at the airport by now.

I‘ve only been on a plane twice in my twenty three years of being alive. Once, Parker took me to Virginia to meet my father back at my childhood home. I had also flown to my grandparents house once when my mother died. This was going to be a big upgrade, as I have only flown cab and not first class. I was very surprised that I even got to be in first class. The only thing I was uneasy about this time I would be alone.

As soon as I entered the plane, I realized how much I didn’t fit in. There were woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, caked with makeup. Short, tight dresses in every color. I was wearing my glasses instead of my contacts today. No makeup, sweatpants and a sweater. Hair pulled up into a messy bun. I felt my face getting hot as I slipped into my luxurious seat. It would be a very long flight, so I tried to ignore the countless stares and whispers meant for me to see and hear. I closed my eyes as the plane took off, silently saying goodbye to my home.


Halfway through the flight, I awoke to a tap on my shoulder. I glanced up surprisingly to see Parker smiling sheepishly down at me. “Sorry to wake you. I brought you food.” He offered a small tray of food in his hands.

“Oh, it’s no problem. Thanks.” I took the tray, avoiding his eyes. Parker slipped silently into the seat next to me and stared out the window. I could tell he was sorry already. I was astonished that he wasn’t mad at me.

I was about to take a bite of the food Parker brought me when the pilot began to speak. “Hello passengers, about fifteen minutes until we cross the border into California.”

A girl with short blonde hair and hazel eyes scowls and says, “ Finally! You know, my ex-boyfriend and I went to Cabo last week. That flight was quicker than this one!” Many girls around her agreed. I decided I would stay away from that girl. I glanced at Parker with skepticism. He looked back at me and laughed. Apparently he heard her, too.

Ten minutes later, we landed. As I exited the plane, cameras flashed in every direction as if we were celebrities. I smiled awkwardly at the closest cameras. I wasn’t exactly photogenic, but I would get used to it.

Suddenly I felt a strong hand take mine. I looked back to see Parker behind me, his arm outstretched and his hand in mine. It felt wrong, but it was reassuring.

It was this moment that I knew Parker and I weren‘t cut out for this part, but once your name is in the bowl you can never revert it.


August 07, 2020 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Deborah Angevin
10:04 Aug 18, 2020

I like this; a unique take on the prompt! I like the ending too! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Gray Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Akhlys Ivy
18:32 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you so much and for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
06:48 Aug 18, 2020

Wonderful story. Loved it. Nice attempt for a first story. Welcome to Reedsy. Would you mind reading my story "Secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Akhlys Ivy
18:32 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you!! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
06:46 Aug 18, 2020

Unique story. I enjoyed it a lot. Especially the ending. Well-written and keep writing!

Reply

Akhlys Ivy
18:32 Aug 18, 2020

Aw thanks so much!!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
01:56 Aug 19, 2020

You're very welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
15:05 Aug 15, 2020

Interesting take on the prompt. I rather liked it. :) Feel free to read any of my stuff.

Reply

Akhlys Ivy
18:16 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.