Shadows on the Highway: A Night of Tragedy

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Crime Horror

The sky had deepened to a dusky blue, the last remnants of sunlight slipping behind the horizon. It was that fleeting hour between evening and night when headlights flickered on and painted long, ghostly streaks of light on the asphalt. The highway hummed with the steady rhythm of cars rushing past, each driver eager to reach their destination before darkness fully set in. Inside the SUV, the family settled into the familiar rhythms of a long drive, the interior lit by the soft glow of the dashboard and the occasional passing streetlight.

The father kept his eyes on the road, focusing on the steady flow of taillights ahead. His wife, cradling her growing belly, leaned back in her seat, one hand resting protectively over her bump. She was tired but content, lost in thoughts of the baby on the way, already imagining the new life that would soon join their family. In the backseat, Lucy, their nine-year-old, was half-asleep, lulled by the gentle motion of the car, while her little sister, Ava, clutched her stuffed bunny and stared sleepily out the window, where the landscape blurred into dark, indistinct shapes.

“Are we almost there?” Lucy mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

“Almost, sweetheart,” her father said, glancing back in the mirror. “Just a little bit longer.”

The mother smiled at their girls, feeling the baby’s faint kicks as if reminding her that they were all together. But the serene moment shattered when a sedan, dark blue and moving erratically, suddenly appeared in the rearview mirror. The vehicle was speeding, darting in and out of lanes as if the driver was trying to escape the weight of her own impatience.

The driver, a middle-aged woman with frazzled nerves, was desperate to make up lost time. She had been stuck behind slower traffic, her anxiety bubbling over, and now she saw an opening—too small, too tight, but just enough to tempt her into one last reckless maneuver. She jerked the wheel and surged forward, attempting to overtake the SUV in a flash of poor judgment and impatience. She squeezed into the narrow gap, cutting sharply in front of the SUV, her tires barely skimming the shoulder.

The father saw the sedan swerve but had no time to react. He slammed on the brakes, but the SUV skidded, fishtailing as the sedan’s rear clipped its front end. The impact was sudden and vicious, throwing the SUV sideways across the road. The father fought to regain control, but it was no use; the vehicle slid toward the edge of the highway, tires screaming against the pavement before the SUV tipped and rolled violently into a ditch.

Inside, the world turned sideways. The cabin was thrown into chaos as the SUV slammed onto its side, the impact jarring everyone violently against their restraints. Airbags deployed with a deafening pop, filling the air with a smoky, chemical haze. The father grunted as his shoulder collided with the window, pain shooting through his arm. He was left dangling from his seatbelt, struggling to catch his breath, disoriented by the sudden shift from normalcy to nightmare.

Beside him, his wife clung to her belly, instinctively shielding her unborn child as she was tossed against the door. She gasped, feeling a sharp, searing pain ripple through her abdomen, fear flooding her senses. She tried to steady herself, but the weight of the vehicle pressed against her, making every movement feel heavy and painful. Her first thought was of her daughters, and she twisted in her seat, her voice tight and panicked.

“The girls!” she cried, eyes straining to see into the backseat through the haze of the wreckage.

In the back, Lucy was hanging upside down, suspended by her seatbelt. Her head throbbed where it had slammed into the ceiling, and she could taste blood where she had bitten her lip. She looked over at Ava, who was trapped in her car seat, crying loudly, her little face pale and streaked with tears. Ava clutched her stuffed bunny tightly, as if it could somehow make everything right again.

“Mommy!” Ava screamed, her voice quivering and small. “I’m scared!”

Lucy reached out, her arm trembling, trying to comfort her sister. “It’s okay, Ava. We’re okay.” But Lucy’s own voice was fraught with terror. She looked around at the shattered glass, the crumpled metal, and felt the terrifying helplessness of the moment. Above them, the SUV groaned under its own weight, the metal frame creaking ominously, as if it might tip further at any second.

The sedan, after clipping the SUV, spun out of control, tires screeching against the pavement as it careened headfirst into a brick wall on the roadside. The front end crumpled instantly, glass and metal exploding in every direction. The driver, thrown violently forward, felt the crushing force of the impact as the airbag deployed too late to protect her from the brunt of the collision. She slumped against the steering wheel, dazed and bleeding, her vision swimming with pain and the harsh, flickering light of her car’s damaged headlights.

She blinked, trying to clear her head, but all she could see was the SUV lying on its side, a mangled silhouette against the dimming evening sky. The faint sound of crying children drifted through the shattered windshield, and the weight of what she had done settled on her like a crushing burden. She had been in a hurry—so much of a hurry that she hadn’t stopped to think. Now she was trapped in her own wreckage, helplessly watching the consequences of her recklessness unfold in front of her.

Sirens wailed in the distance, drawing closer with each passing second. Red and blue lights flashed against the darkening sky, painting the scene in a surreal, strobe-like glow. Firefighters and paramedics rushed onto the scene, their shouts and the crunch of boots on gravel filling the tense silence. They scrambled down the embankment toward the overturned SUV, flashlights cutting through the dimness as they assessed the damage.

A firefighter pried open the rear door, the twisted metal screeching in protest. He reached in carefully, unbuckling Ava from her car seat and lifting her out. Ava clung to him, still clutching her bunny, her sobs softening as he whispered reassurances. Lucy was next, helped out gently, her small frame shaking as she was wrapped in a warm, reflective blanket. “You’re so brave,” the paramedic told her, his voice kind but firm. “We’re going to take care of you and your family.”

The mother winced as she was pulled from the wreckage, every movement sending fresh jolts of pain through her body. She held her belly protectively, whispering silent prayers for her unborn child as they lifted her onto a stretcher. She reached for her husband’s hand, gripping it tightly as they were separated, both of them exchanging a look of shared fear and relief.

The father, the last to be rescued, stumbled slightly as he was helped up. He scanned the chaotic scene, his eyes darting between his daughters, his wife, and the wrecked sedan across the road. Relief washed over him as he saw his family being tended to, but the fear lingered—an unshakable, gnawing worry about what might still be wrong, unseen beneath the surface.

Across the road, the driver of the sedan was pulled from her vehicle, her legs unsteady as she was helped to sit on the curb. She watched the family she had nearly destroyed, her guilt as palpable as the blood trickling from her forehead. She had only been trying to get ahead, to beat the darkness that was falling over the highway, but now the darkness felt absolute, settling into her bones. The damage was done, and no amount of regret could rewind the seconds that had changed everything.

The scene buzzed with the chaos of flashing lights, voices, and the low, rhythmic hum of engines idling in the background. Above, the sky was fully dark now, a deep, inky black broken only by the harsh glare of emergency lights and the faint, distant glow of city lights on the horizon. The road, once a mundane path home, was now a battlefield strewn with wreckage, the lives of everyone involved forever altered by a moment’s impatience, a split-second decision that spiraled into tragedy.

As the paramedics worked, the family held onto one another, shaken but alive, the weight of the crash settling in but their grip on each other firm. The mother rested a hand on her belly, feeling the faintest flutter of movement, a fragile reassurance amid the chaos. They would heal—eventually. But the scars of this night, painted against the dim glow of fading headlights, would linger long after the wreckage was cleared and the road returned to its usual, unremarkable flow.

September 10, 2024 23:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.