0 comments

High School Fiction Crime

        I sighed and pushed aside all my homework on the desk. I pulled out a blue spiraled notebook and flipped to a blank page. 6:00 PM. I wrote the date then began my story for today.

4/26/21

I got up and made my bed. I then went to my closet and chose a green sweater and paired it with white jeans. I then went and got ready in the bathroom for school. My mom made me toast with butter and milk for breakfast. I slammed the milk and grabbed the toast. 7:45 AM. I was going to be late for school. I was really worried because I had a test 1st period today. I grabbed my backpack and sprinted to the bus barely catching it. 7:51 AM. I sat in the school bus and breathed out a sigh of relief. I had to quickly check my backpack to make sure I wasn’t missing anything, but of course I was missing something. I rummaged through my backpack again to see if I was actually missing my math notes. We were only allowed 1 notecard for notes. The notecard was tiny so I thought that it was somewhere in my backpack. With each passing minute I began to worry even more. 7:55 AM. The bus screeched to a stop yet my notecard was nowhere to be found. I cursed under my breath at my luck. Great I didn’t even have my notes for my test today. As everyone slowly filed out of the bus I looked around on the floor to see if I dropped it. Of course as Zack passed by me he pushed me over. Typical I sighed to myself. I lost my balance, but I didn’t fall down thank goodness.

“Everyone off the bus now please!” My bus driver shouted. I got up and left the bus as slow as I could. 7:58 AM. Shoot. I was going to be late for class. I quickly navigated the familiar grey walls and slammed the door open. 8:00 AM. Right on time. I walked over to my seat as eyes turned to look at me. I ignored them though of course.

“Time for the math test students! I hope you’re prepared!” The teacher smiled. I didn’t smile back. My stomach was churning. I forgot my math notes, I’m going to fail now. That sentence ran repeatedly in my head. The instant the teacher placed the test down on my desk I flipped it over to see if I could figure out how to do any of it. I looked through the test and everything looked unfamiliar to me. Dang it. I considered faking sick so I could leave early, but I’m not sure if I could do that because I don’t actually feel sick. Plus I’m a terrible actor. I looked back at the test and made up my mind. I would take it and hope for the best.

9:50 AM. I placed my pencil down on my desk and raised my hand. The teacher stood up an walked over to me. She then took the test and did a cursory glance and muttered something under her breath. I swallowed loudly. From that reaction I probably failed the test. I spent the rest of the class period sulking of course. Zack leaned over to me and whispered, “Don’t worry. You did great” I leaned far back away from him and threw a glare. What did he know about failing. He got the highest grades in the class every single time.

10:30 AM. Time for PE. I went to the girls locker room and changed into my gym clothes. “Guess what students?! We’re going to run the mile today!” My PE teacher gleefully exclaimed. I groaned again. Great. Its not like I hate running, but I’m just not in the mood for it today. I walked over to the start line and as soon as the teacher said go I was sprinting. I could sprint through the whole mile although I rarely did, but today was different. I wanted to be done as soon as possible so I could go home. After we completed the mile the teacher would always let us go early to do whatever we needed to do. I sprinted past the finish line panting. 10:35 AM. I grabbed my water bottle and let the cool water flow into my mouth. Someone was coming to the finish line. I squinted to see who it was. Zack. Of course it was Zack. Mr. Perfect-know-it-all. He got second place though. I smiled at the thought of that. Mr. Perfect got 2nd place in the mile run. I smirked to myself. As I headed back to the locker room the gym teacher congratulated me for getting first place and smiled a huge smile. That was a bit suspicious of course because the gym teacher rarely smiled. I shrugged it off and got changed in the locker room. 10:50 AM. My next period teacher wasn’t going to be there so I started walking home.

“Wait!” Someone shouted. I turned my head around to see who it was and unsurprisingly it was Zack. I glared at him and continued walking. Zack sprinted over to me. I asked him what he wanted, but he didn’t say anything. He looked thoughtfully out to the clouds for a moment before saying, “You’ll be joining us soon enough. See you in a bit!” Then he sprinted off again. 11:25 AM. What did he mean. I actually don’t know. I was nearing my house so I pulled out my key and walked up to my door. 11:30 AM. I pushed the door open and headed up to my room. I was zonked from the running today in PE. Maybe I would take a little nap. I walked over to my bed and collapsed.

I lifted up the pen and read what I had written so far. It looked pretty accurate to me. I still couldn’t believe I took a 7 hour nap though. That was insane. Although I did stay up really late last night actually. My stomach started grumbling at me. I was to lazy to cook anything so I went downstairs expecting my mom on the couch watching tv, but surprisingly the tv was switched off. I lazily walked over to the closet and pulled out my special hidden chocolate bar. I went back upstairs, but before going in my room I checked to see if my dad was in his usual spot sleeping in his bed. He wasn’t there. An alarm started going off in my head. My parents were normally home by now. Where were they? I shrugged it off again. My parents were probably working overtime or at the store or something. Yet that sense of unease didn’t leave the pit of my stomach. I went back to my room to continue my writing, but all of it was gone. I ran over to the table and flipped through the notebook. All my writing was gone. I frantically ran around my room looking all over for it, but it was no where to be found. I went back and looked at the notebook again. There was still 1 page with words on it though. I quickly flipped to that page to see what was on it.  

4/26/21

6:03 PM. Alyssa comes back upstairs to her room. She notices all her pages are missing in her notebook except one page. She frantically searches for the other pages of her notebook. Her parents come back home. 6:05 PM.

I quickly checked the time and sure enough it was 6:05. The door downstairs opened and from the voices she could tell that it was her parents. She went back to reading the note.

After her parents head upstairs to watch a movie, Alyssa slips out the door. She rides the bike outside that is leaning on her mailbox. She goes to the school football field… Scenario 2: Alyssa doesn’t follow the instructions and she dies.

From: Your best friend <3

I gasped a little and felt faint. Who could her best friend be? She didn’t have a best friend. The only person who had ever really went out of their way to interact with her was Zack. Could Zack have written this? No way Zack would never do something like this right? Either way I didn’t want to die so I did what the note said. Once I heard my parents door shut I creeped down the stairs and went out the front door. The bike was there as promised and I hopped on and rode to school. I climbed over the football fields fence. 6:15 PM.

“Well I was wondering when you would show up!” Zack said. He smirked at me and his face said that he knew something I didn’t. I ran over to him and punched him, but my hand touched nothing, but air. In fact my hand went right through him. What? How was that possible? Was he a hologram? He sighed and said, “Go over to the 50 yard line and stand in the middle of the 0 for 10 seconds.” I glared at him again, but I did what I was told because I was curious. 6:20 PM. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. The ground below me disappeared. And I fell down and down until I hit a pit full of foam blocks. Where the heck was I? As I got up I looked around and saw all the people staring at me. A woman with long black hair walked up to me. She looked around 40 years old. The woman looked a bit familiar, but I couldn’t place where from.

“Hello Alyssa. Nice to finally meet you.” She said. I got up and punched her hoping with all my being that she wasn’t a hologram. She wasn’t. She stumbled back in shock and coldly smiled at me.

“I guess I should’ve expected that.” She replied. I looked at everyone else to see if I knew anyone and sure enough they were all my classmates. But they were all looking at me with shock for some reason.

“I’m going to be blunt with you dear, I’m not the type of person to beat around the bush so I’ll tell you exactly why you’re here. You’ve been chosen to work for the CIA. No one knows you exist other then everyone in this school and some high officials at the CIA. And yes this is including your parents. Your fingerprint is now gone, so is all the info on you that are in databases. So I guess welcome to the CIA. Zack will help you get used to here.” She stated.

I was still in shock so I said back, “What if I refuse?”  

She chuckled and looked at the rest of the students and they started laughing too. She then responded saying, “You cant dear. If you refuse, then lets just say there wont be a happy ending.”

And that’s how I joined the CIA unwillingly. 

April 26, 2021 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.