6 comments

Drama Horror Suspense

The Shadow

The night was silent, draped in an inky darkness that swallowed the world outside the small security room. I sat alone, surrounded by an array of flickering screens that illuminated my face in a ghastly blue glow. The hum of the surveillance equipment was the only sound in the room, its monotony broken only by the occasional creak of the building settling or the distant wail of a siren. I was the lone sentinel, tasked with safeguarding the premises during the bewitching hours of the night shift.

Hours had passed since I settled into my chair, my eyes diligently scanning the labyrinthine halls and desolate rooms of the building. Everything appeared as it should: empty, lifeless, and eerily quiet. But as the clock ticked deeper into the night, a sense of unease settled in the pit of my stomach. The air seemed charged with a palpable tension, as if something sinister lurked just beyond the reach of the camera lenses.

I leaned forward, adjusting my seat and peering closer at one of the monitors. In the dim light, the corridor appeared to stretch endlessly, the flickering fluorescent lights casting long, ominous shadows on the walls. As my eyes darted across the screen, I saw a movement, a mere blur at the edge of the frame. My breath caught in my throat, and I focused on the camera, my heart pounding.

There, in the grainy black-and-white footage, was a figure. It was tall and gaunt, its features obscured by shadows. The figure moved slowly, almost purposefully, down the hallway, its gait uneven and unsettling. I squinted, trying to make out any distinguishing features, but the face remained hidden, shrouded in darkness.

A shiver crept up my spine as I grabbed the radio at my side. “Central, this is Security. I’ve got a visual on an unidentified person in corridor C. I need backup.”

Static crackled before a voice responded, thick with sleep. “Copy that. We’re sending someone your way. Stay on the line.”

I nodded, my eyes never leaving the screen. The figure continued its eerie saunter, disappearing momentarily from one camera's view only to reappear on another. It seemed to be toying with me, always staying just out of clear sight, a phantom in the night.

Minutes dragged on like hours as I awaited the arrival of my colleagues. The figure persisted in its haunting stroll, growing closer to the main entrance with every passing moment. I gripped the edges of the desk, my knuckles turning white, and watched in dread as it reached the lobby.

As if sensing my gaze, the figure turned its head toward the camera, and I gasped. Its eyes, two points of cold, blue light, glowed in the darkness, fixated on the lens as if it could see me. I recoiled, my heart pounding so loudly that I could hear it in my ears.

“Central, it’s looking at the camera,” I stammered into the radio. “I need someone here now!”

The response was a garbled mess of static and fragmented words. Desperation clawed at me as I watched the figure approach the security room. It moved with an unnatural grace, its movements silent and deliberate. My fingers fumbled for the door lock, and I managed to secure it just as the figure reached the hallway outside.

The lights flickered, casting eerie shadows across the room, and I pressed myself against the wall, my breath shallow and rapid. I could hear its footsteps now, soft but deliberate, as it approached the door. Each step sent a chill down my spine, and I prayed that the lock would hold.

The figure stopped just outside the door, and I held my breath, willing myself to be invisible. Through the frosted glass window, I saw its silhouette, tall and imposing. Its hand reached out, fingers curling around the doorknob. I bit down hard on my lip to stifle a scream, my entire body tensed, ready to bolt at a moment’s notice.

Seconds stretched into an eternity before the figure withdrew its hand, and I heard its footsteps fading away down the corridor. Relief washed over me, but it was short-lived. The building seemed to groan and sigh around me, the very walls whispering secrets that I couldn’t comprehend.

Summoning my courage, I cautiously unlocked the door and peeked into the hallway. It was empty, devoid of any signs of the figure. I hesitated for a moment before venturing out, my flashlight casting shaky beams of light across the walls. The air was thick with a sense of dread, and I could feel unseen eyes watching my every move.

I retraced the figure’s steps, my footsteps echoing in the empty corridors. Each flickering light and distant sound sent my heart racing. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being followed, that the figure was still there, just out of sight, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

I finally reached the lobby, my eyes scanning the area for any signs of movement. The room was still, the silence broken only by the distant wail of sirens. I let out a shaky breath, my nerves frayed to the breaking point. Whatever had been in the building with me was gone, but its presence lingered, a haunting memory etched into the very walls.

I made my way back to the security room, my steps quickening with each passing moment. As I entered, I glanced at the monitors, half-expecting to see the figure staring back at me. But the screens were empty, showing only the empty halls and deserted rooms.

I sank into my chair, my hands trembling as I reached for the radio. “Central, this is Security. I...I think it’s gone. I don’t know what it was, but it’s gone now.”

The response was a crackle of static, and then a voice came through, tinged with concern. “Are you alright? Do you need medical assistance?”

I hesitated for a moment before shaking my head, even though I felt far from alright. “No, I’m fine. Just...just shaken up. I’ll be okay.”

The sun began to rise, casting a faint light through the windows and dispelling the darkness that had settled over the building. My relief was palpable, but the memory of that night would forever haunt my dreams. I had come face to face with something beyond explanation, something that defied logic and reason.

As the day shift arrived to relieve me, I gathered my belongings and made my way to the exit. The building, once familiar and comforting, now felt alien and menacing. I stepped out into the daylight, the warmth of the sun a stark contrast to the cold grip of fear that still clung to me.

I glanced back at the building one last time, my eyes drawn to the security room window. For a brief moment, I thought I saw a flicker of movement inside, a shadowy figure standing amidst the monitors. But it was gone in an instant, leaving me to wonder if it had ever been there at all.

I walked away, my footsteps quickening with every step. The world around me seemed to blur, the events of the night replaying in my mind like a nightmare. I didn’t know what I had encountered, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to. Some things, it seemed, were better left in the darkness, where they belonged.

October 11, 2023 15:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Hannah Banana
14:42 Oct 17, 2023

Holy moly this is really good! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved how you took things slow and described things really well! You have talent!

Reply

DionTre Speller
15:28 Nov 08, 2023

Thank you very much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:19 Oct 15, 2023

Really clever handling of tension building here. The writing placed you by the side of the MC throughout. Great work. Thanks for sharing

Reply

DionTre Speller
15:29 Nov 08, 2023

Thank you alot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
15:32 Oct 11, 2023

Very spooky! I could not be a night guard for this reason!! Good writing and descriptions. The suspense was palpable. I think I'd quit my job after this though. 😂

Reply

DionTre Speller
15:28 Nov 08, 2023

Yeah night shift guard is not for me either lol. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.