1 comment

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Contemporary

“That’s the thing about this city… there’s no way out of it,” yelled the teen wearing a bright orange scarf in the middle of summer.

Henry had been sitting with his family in the food court overlooking the rest of the mall when the boy first appeared. It was strange. Henry could hear every word the boy was saying but never saw his mouth move. The teen had a plastered-on grin that was in complete contrast to the timbre of his voice.

“This isn’t right. I don’t belong here,” cried the boy.

Henry called out, “Hey kid, what’s your name?”

The boy seemed tentative but gave an answer anyway. “Jay.”

“Jay, what seems to be the problem?” Henry had four kids of his own including one angsty teen, so he thought he may be able to help this one. At the very least, he could keep him from shouting long enough to enjoy his bubble tea.

“There’s no escape from here. We are all just stuck. I had accepted this—made the best of it—but this…this is the last straw.”

“Why? What happened?”

“I was just on the street with my friend Cole, checking out this weird rocker dude who was busking in what appeared to be Chinatown when something—something big—grabbed me. It must have covered my eyes because I couldn’t see anything until I landed here…in this froufrou mall.“

Henry, being a realist, questioned the premise of the kid’s story. “Is it possible you just fell asleep here in the food court and had a bad dream?”

“No, man. I’ve never been here before. And I don’t see Cole anywhere!”

“Okay, okay,” Henry said, trying to calm the kid back down. “Did you check the tech shop? That’s where my daughter likes to hang out.”

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you, man. I can’t move, and the only things I can see are right in front of me. Can you see the tech store from where you are?”

As Henry started to answer, a boy in a blue shirt carrying a boom box was lowered onto the escalator right in front of them.

“Cole!”

“Jay! Man, am I glad to hear your voice. What the heck is going on? How did we get here?”

“I don’t know exactly. Something big grabbed us and brought us here. This old dude in the food court is trying to help me figure it out.”

Henry cringed. He was not that old.

“Got any ideas, pops?” Cole asked.

“Well, Jay said he can’t seem to move, and he can’t see much, but I can hear you both fine.” Henry hated to even suggest his idea. “Maybe if you yell loud enough, whatever it was that brought you here will take you back.”

Cole shouted up the escalator to them, “Can’t hurt.”

Jay called back, “On three? One…two…three.”

The two boys started yelling, but not in unison so it was hard to make out what they were saying. Henry picked up a few key words here and there. “Get us out of here! Hey! Take us back.” After a few minutes, the boys’ voices faded and finally fell to silence.

“We’re trapped here, aren’t we?” asked Jay.

“I don’t know. I wish I had…” Henry trailed off as the whole mall began to shake.

***

“Tina, what are you doing? Those are mine.”

“But I needed more people for my mall, and you aren’t playing with them right now.”

Tommy berated his little sister, “It doesn’t matter. They’re mine and you didn’t ask.”

Tina ignored her brother’s obvious annoyance and continued playing. “I’ll put them back when I’m done. Okay?” she said, the last question dripping with contempt. She was sick of him always telling her what to do.

“No! Not okay!” Tommy stomped over to where Tina was playing and grabbed the little rocker figure in her hand.

She clenched onto it so hard her knuckles turned white. “No, I’m playing with them. You haven’t touched them in months.”

“It doesn’t matter. They’re mine and you can’t have them.” Tommy pulled harder until Tina finally fell over on the floor, rocker figure still in hand. She was not going to give up that easy.

She let out a blood-curdling scream. Then, she whispered to her brother, “You’re gonna be in trouble now.”

Angry footsteps moved up the stairs. The door swung open, “What is going on up here?”

Tina did her best to get the first word in, but Tommy was talking at the same time.

“Oh, for the love of Pete. You,” she said pointing to Tina, “put Tommy’s people back where they were.”

“But, mom?” she pleaded.

Tina’s mother just pointed to her playset then to Tommy’s playset. Turning to Tommy, she said, “And you, stop tormenting your sister.”

“I didn’t…”

She cut him off and tapped her index finger against her lips, while Tina put everything back the way it was. “Good, now both of you go wash your hands. It’s almost time for dinner.”

Tina followed Tommy out of her room, and her mother closed the door behind them.

***

A deafening thunder of noise reverberated through the mall. Henry gripped his tea harder to keep it from spilling as the building shook. Whatever was causing this, it seemed to be coming from above them. As the noise stopped, giant fingers appeared, plucked Jay and Cole from where they stood, and flew them up into the air.

Henry didn’t see where they went, but they were definitely gone. He felt bad for the boys and did not understand what had happened, but whatever it was, it didn’t impact anyone else in the mall. A flash of guilt came over Henry as he realized he was happy they were gone. It was nice to have peace and quiet again. “Now,” he thought, “I can finally enjoy my bubble tea.” But, as he went to drink it, he realized he was not able to. The kid was right. They are all stuck and there is no leaving this city.

March 20, 2021 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tiffany Azzarito
23:58 Jun 09, 2021

I love the use of "froufrou" :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.