2 comments

Friendship Teens & Young Adult Fantasy

{This ghost can not actually type or write. This was used by the speech-to-text thing on Google Docs to help him} 

Date: 07/02/2023

Today, I went on a short stroll in the nearby towns, and somewhere around noontime, I walked past a park, and something unbelievable happened. This animal came walking, rather calmly, on the sidewalk, pulling a human along with it. I’m waiting for Thaddeus to return home so I can ask him what I just saw because this will seriously bother me.

IT WAS A DOG. Oh my gods, I just saw a dog!! I thought they were bigger? Okay, so this was a dog, and it was on a walk, and apparently, you can actually pet dogs. Or, sometimes? Marin told me that some dogs bite, so I’m not quite sure what it is I’m supposed to do? I want to pet a dog, though I’m certain it’s impossible, but I don’t want to be bit if I manage to. Oh! Oh! I know what to do! Yeah, of course! I can go on a walk and look for people petting a dog! It’s genius! Maybe children? Oh no, surely not children. What if the dog bites them? That wouldn’t be very good? Oh my, what if the dog bit me? I should ask Thaddeus if dogs bite little children.

Thaddeus said that dogs sometimes bite children, but only the bad or scared dogs do that. I don’t really understand that, though; why would a dog, scared or bad, bite a child? Do scared or bad dogs think that children will hurt them? That’s silly; children are harmless. Usually. Sometimes. Are they? Marin doesn’t seem to like children that much? I’ll ask her later. I can’t imagine children to be that mean? I don’t spend much time with them, but I’ve seen them. But, back to the dogs, Thaddeus also said that some dogs protect other children from the bad ones, which I think is nice. I’m glad that there are good dogs that keep the children safe from the angry or bad ones.

It’s pretty late, and I’m thinking of joining Thaddeus and Marin on the roof to watch the stars and planes (I think they're conversing over how airplanes fly?) Marin said that children aren’t bad; she can’t see herself getting along well with them for a long time. I decided that makes sense. Sometimes, Thaddeus drives me insane, so I can understand why Marin would feel that way.

Date: 07/05/2023

I asked a person if I could pet the dog today, and they said yes, and the dog (It was this brownish gold color and sooooo soft looking and had been carrying a tennis ball) had seemed nice. Except I hadn’t been able to feel the dog. My hand went right through it. I think I might’ve scared her, actually. I felt really bad; I didn’t want to scare the dog. I might go talk to Thaddeus and see if they know what I should do.

Thaddeus gave me a lot of advice. So did Marin. Thaddeus told me not to feel bad, as the dog was probably just a bit confused, not scared. I guess it made sense. The dog expected me to pet it, and I never did; I’d be confused if I were a dog. Thaddeus also told me that sometimes actually being able to touch something, as a ghost, takes a while and a lot of practice. So that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to spend the rest of the night practicing touching something. Marin had let me borrow a soft toy of a purple dragon with bright green eyes. It’s funny; she handed it to me, and I tried to take it, but it fell to the floor. We both laughed. Thaddeus didn’t think it was very funny.

I’M NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO PET A DOG

I’ve been trying all night, and I haven’t felt this toy at all. I’m never going to be able to pet any dogs, and dogs will always avoid me because they’ll all know I’m the weird ghost child who can’t actually pet them but keeps trying to. Why is this so hard? Why can’t I just pet a dog like any other normal kid? Maybe it's because I'm not a normal kid.

Date: 07/07/2023

Marin suggested that if I try to pet a dog, I should try to pet a smaller one since they are smaller. I guess it makes sense; smaller things are usually nice. Look at cats. Cats are nice, usually... sometimes... actually, I've met a good amount of mean cats; maybe small cats aren't that nice?

Marin is the worst. I'm never going to her for advice ever again. I saw a small dog, and it tried to bite me. The person walking it seemed unsurprised too! Do little dogs usually bite? Marin's laughing right now, and I'm willing to bet it's because of the tiny dog situation.

Turns out smaller dogs tend to be a bit meaner, which Marin knew, and Thaddeus just left with her to talk to her about it. What type of dogs don't try to bite? Maybe Thaddeus will know?

Thaddeus suggested that I look for bigger dogs. It’s the opposite of what Marin told me, but it makes me nervous. A bigger dog means a bigger bite, doesn’t it? Thaddeus says that they tend to be a bit nicer and more playful, so maybe they’ll be more willing to let me pet them? I’m not sure, but I just wish I could pet something. I haven’t ever been able to touch anything, and I don’t think it will start now.

Date: 07/17/2023

It’s been about a week since I last wrote, and nothing has really changed. I sort of forgot about the dog thing for a bit, but I still want to try. I think I might go with Thaddeus to the garden right now, though, so I might come up with something later.

Date: 07/20/2023

I TOUCHED THE DRAGON TOY!!!!!

I accidentally knocked it over earlier because I got a little mad that I hadn’t been able to, but then I knocked it over and even managed to get it back how it had been!! I’m going to be able to pet a dog! I can do it!!

Date: 07/21/2023

I PET A DOG TODAY!!! I RAN ALL THE WAY BACK AND I PET A REALLY REALLY REALLY SOFT DOG!!! Her name was Red, and she was softer than the softest silk, she licked me, and it was kind of gross, but it also tickled a little!!!

I pet a dog today!!!!

January 14, 2024 16:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Caedon Sprague
21:47 Jan 26, 2024

your doing great

Reply

21:49 Jan 26, 2024

Thanks!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.