0 comments

Fiction

Mia’s calves were burning as she approached her third mile on the treadmill. She had always told herself she needed to put her gym membership to use but it wasn’t until the past few months that she felt motivated enough to go. She spent too long behind a desk and it was starting to get the better of her. Now she had a purpose.

The rest of the 24/7 workout center was empty. Mia had her pick of treadmills and she chose the one positioned right in front of the clock on the wall.

11:59

Mia forgot about the pain building in her muscles as she watched the second hand tick its way around the clock.

When it reached the twelve Mia imagined all the glasses being held up in the air and people celebrating, claiming that this was going to be their year. 

And here Mia was, alone and tired, but still making good on her first resolution: Get in shape. 

It was a cliche, but given time Mia knew it would pay off. She wanted to be in good shape for what she had planned. Despite what everyone else was saying to themselves, most people don’t have it in them to make a lasting change in their lives. Mia was different. She knew that this was going to be her year because she was not going to settle for the life she had. She was going to make a new one.

A few days later Mia browsed the jewelry store a few miles from her apartment. It was filled with the shiny things she had always wanted to wear on her body. But she was too practical to bring herself to buy anything. Even today, Mia knew she was not going to make her purchase. One day she would walk out of this store wearing one of the flawless jewels she gazed at underneath the glass. She would just have to work a little harder to get it.

At night she drew herself a bath. Mia had bought some bath bombs earlier in the day for this precise purpose. She had spent so much of her life stressed about the things beyond her control. That is why she made a second resolution: Take time to relax.

Mia lit one of her favorite candles and soon her bathroom was filled with the scents of bergamot and mahogany as she lowered herself into the warm water. 

Mia had never been one to find peace of mind, but when she closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths she could feel a sense of calm that had evaded her for so long. All she had to do was picture the life she was striving for and hope that it would come much sooner than later.

After a full week into the new year, Mia reached out to some of her new friends. She had only met these friends a few months ago. They attended the same grief support meeting but after they went out for drinks they soon realized they had much more in common.

Mia sent them a text in their group chat telling them where and when they should meet that evening. The best part about her new friends was that they were always punctual. Mia did not like having to wait.

Mia arrived at Sweetie’s, their usual bar, early so she could get the first round of drinks ordered. She already had their preferred drinks memorized. She was always very good at paying attention to those around her. A lot of people thought they could take advantage of her but Mia was not going to let that happen anymore. That is why she liked the new friends she had made. They appreciated Mia and never made her feel inferior. 

Robin was the first one to meet Mia at their regular table in the corner. She was the youngest in the group, but she was mature for her age. The last time Mia had seen Robin her hair was dark green, now it was a bright blue. She had it pulled back into a bun. The rest of her outfit rarely varied. She wore a dark gray hoodie, black jeans, and black combat boots. Since it was below freezing she had pulled on a black overcoat that hung just above her knees. Robin also had with her the black shoulder bag that never left her side.

“I thought I was going to beat you here for once.” Robin said as she took the chair that sat behind the gin and tonic.

“I knew you were going to come early so I came even earlier,” Mia remarked.

“Do we want to bet on who will be the next one in?” Robin proposed.

“Okay,” Mia replied, “I bet you fifty dollars that the next one will be Dennis.”

Robin considered it for a moment. “You’re on. Bonnie is never the last one.”

A few minutes later Dennis entered the bar followed shortly by Bonnie.

Robin sighed. Moments later Mia got sent fifty dollars via Venmo.

Dennis, dressed in khakis and a red sweater, sat across the table from Mia in front of the manhattan. Mia noticed that his right eye was slightly more swollen than his left. His attempts to apply concealer did not fully cover up the bruise, but Mia was not going to ask any questions.

Bonnie sauntered over with her blonde hair cascading down her peach colored dress that cost more than Mia could make in one month at her current job. Her white heels clacked against the wooden floors to emphasize her approach. Bonnie shot everyone at the table a smile as she lowered herself in the chair right next to Mia. 

Bonnie took a sip of her strawberry margarita. “This is exactly what I needed after the day I’ve had.”

She did not elaborate further. They all knew not to push the subject.

Mia finally took a sip of the martini that had been sitting in front of her, untouched, for twenty minutes. 

They started with the typical small talk before they dived into their more complex conversations. Mia enjoyed this part of their friendship. They could sit and talk for hours about what they were up to and what they had planned. Especially since they all were on the same page: This was the year they were going to change their lives.

As they finished their first round of drinks, Mia could not hold back her smile. This was one of the easiest resolutions she had made: Spend more time with friends.

Mia and her friends have been meeting at least once a week for the first two months of the new year. It was typical for most people to have given up on their new year’s resolutions and slip back into their mundane habits, but Mia was not only following hers, she decided it was time to continue on. She was going to introduce more resolutions into her routine.

It had been a long time since Mia had taken a stroll through the park. Bonnie had told her it's not only the perfect way to clear one’s mind but it is a great place to practice what Bonnie had been teaching her.

Mia spotted a young couple stopped next to one of the benches up ahead. She could tell they were lost, both intently looking at their phone while periodically looking up to see where they were. It was the perfect opportunity for Mia to showcase the progress she made on her fourth resolution: Learn a new hobby.

“Hello,” Mia said, approaching the couple, “Are you guys lost?”

The girl exchanged glances with her boyfriend. The boyfriend slowly began to nod.

“We were just trying to find The Golden Fox, it’s a restaurant,” the boy started, “Joann said it was the best place to eat around here.”

“I’ve heard great things about it on multiple blogs about where to eat in the city,” the girl, Joann, explained.

Mia took a step closer so she could peer at the phone. 

“Ah, well, you guys aren’t that far, it’s just about two blocks that way.” Mia stated, pointing North. “If you have time you should also go to Jingle Jangle Candies. They make amazing truffles and it’s on the same street.”

Joann smiled. “Thanks, I don’t think I read anything about them.”

“It’s kind of a local secret,” Mia explained, “Recently I’ve been compiling a list of all the best spots in the city. I’m actually thinking of starting my own blog.”

“Cool,” Joann replied, “Anyway, thank you for your help.”

Joann and her boyfriend turned to walk North.  As they were passing Mia, Joann accidentally bumped into Mia’s shoulder. Mia waved it off. 

It was no secret to Mia’s coworkers that she did not enjoy her job. Her contempt with her job was one of the key factors in her looking to change her life with her resolutions. Once she lost her mother last year she realized that she was alone and severely unhappy with her life. If she had not found a new purpose she would have continued to spiral deeper into her depression. But she met her new friends and she made a new plan, suddenly the helpless feeling began to fade.

Still, she hated her job.

Mia worked as the executive assistant to Martin Collins who was the Managing Director of everything relating to inventory and merchandise planning at the hundreds of jewelry stores across the country.

As far as Mia was concerned Martin’s only qualification for getting the job was his superior usage of condescension to anybody who was not higher up on the food chain. Being his assistant meant enduring his insults and demeaning comments. Mia had put up with it for five years.

She would have quit at the beginning of the year in her determination to change her life, but she had to wait until she was fully ready to live with the consequences of leaving her job.

A week after Easter and she was sure that she was ready.

She strutted into Martin’s office. It was just after nine in the morning and he already finished his first glass of scotch.

When Mia walked in, Martin held out his glass for her to take. “Get me another, Mia, I have a call with Daniel in ten and I can’t listen to him without at least two glasses in me.”

Mia made her way to his desk and dropped the piece of paper she did not even bother putting in an envelope.

“What is this?” Martin asked as he looked down, beginning to read the short paragraph. “You are not serious.”

“I’m quitting. Effective immediately so you will have to get up and pour your own glass.”

Mia turned to leave when Martin began chuckling. Mia wanted to ignore him but he only got louder.

“I don’t know if laughter is the appropriate response,” Mia stated.

Martin stared at Mia. He stood up from his desk, walking around the front until he was a few steps away from Mia in the middle of the office. 

“You are making the biggest mistake of your life.”

“No, Martin,  I'm not,” Mia replied.

“You can’t do anything else, Mia,” Martin said, “You can’t be anything else other than the girl who fetches me drinks and answers my phone.”

Mia clenched her fist, her fingernails cutting into the palm of her hand.

“You’re wrong,” Mia responded through gritted teeth, “And I hope somebody, someday is able to humble that huge ego of yours. I’m just disappointed I won’t be around to see it.”

Mia headed for the door.

“You may be more confident than the little Mia that started years ago, but it is just a phase. You are not the type of person who takes what they want. You never will be.” Martin remarked as he returned to his desk chair.

Mia did not turn back. She did not want to give any sense of satisfaction. 

In the elevators, Mia allowed herself a small smile. She had looked forward to this day ever since she put it down on her list of resolutions. 

Quit the job you hate and don’t look back.

Mia’s plan was starting to fall into place. There was just one more thing she had to do in order for her to complete her last resolution. She was not going to let anything keep her from fulfilling all the promises she had made to herself.

Mia met Bonnie, Robin, and Dennis at their regular bar on the first Friday in May.

They had a few details to work through.

Robin and Dennis could not hide their excitement as they began talking about what was going to happen after they pulled off what they had been working towards.

It was Bonnie who took the time to analyze Mia.

“It’s okay if you are nervous,” Bonnie reassured, “It’s a very good plan for somebody who has never done anything like this before.”

Mia shook her head. “I’m not nervous.”

“Have you been practicing your new hobby like I taught you?”

Mia pulled out a watch from her pocket. “I’ve put it to good use.”

“Who did you pull it from?” 

“My boss. After I told him I quit. He got a little too close and it was easy enough to lift.”

Bonnie smiled. “You’re my little pickpocket prodigy. Did you have a chance to pull what you need to have on you after the job?”

Mia reached into her other pocket, she handed Bonnie a pink wallet.

“Joann Giles.” Bonnie read from the driver’s license. “This should work. You look enough like her for you to use. All you have to do is dye your hair blonde.”

Mia took the wallet out of Bonnie’s hand. She then got the attention of the rest of the group. 

“Okay, guys, it’s almost midnight so let’s get moving.”

They all piled into Dennis’s van and he drove the crew to Notting Street.

Robin had her laptop pulled out of her bag before the vehicle came to a stop. She was typing furiously. Her purple painted fingernails flying across the keyboard. After two minutes she leaned back.

“Okay, I used the back door I set up in their system a while ago and was able to disconnect their security. The cameras are cut but you guys will only have ten minutes before it gets rebooted.”

“Then we better get going,” Mia commanded, “Dennis you take care of the guard and then meet me and Bonnie in the showroom. Robin, keep any eye on dispatch and let us know if we are blown.”

Dennis exited the car first, followed by Mia and Bonnie. 

Mia and Bonnie entered the store through the front while Dennis diverted the security guard towards the back.

Bonnie took out her lock picking kit.

“Robin took the alarm system offline so all that’s between us and the payday is a simple lock,” Bonnie murmured, “it’s almost too easy.”

“Easy is good.”

Bonnie turned her tools and the door unlocked.

Mia walked through the entrance of the jewelry store she spent so much time in, but never felt she belonged. 

She pulled out the hammer she carried in her duffle bag. She smashed in the case with the emeralds, then moved on to the rubies, and down the line to diamonds. Bonnie lingered closely behind and piled the jewelry into the bag. Soon, Dennis met them in the showroom filled with shattered glass.

Dennis got to work and stashed the watches in the far corner into a bag he retrieved from Bonnie. “We can finish in here,” Mia said to Bonnie, “You go find the safe.”

Bonnie nodded and moved to the back room.

It took a little over five minutes for the front showroom to be emptied. All the pretty jewels hidden in their black duffle bags. 

Mia looked over to Dennis who wore a smile as if he were a kid going to a carnival for the first time.

Bonnie emerged from the back room with a duffle bag. Mia looked down at her new favorite watch, they only had about a minute before the security came back online.

“Let’s go.”

They ran out to the van. Robin grinning at them as she helped arrange the bags Dennis began tossing in the back. It was hard to not share in the joy. Mia took a deep sigh of relief.

She took it too soon. 

Sirens began blaring in the distance as Dennis threw in the last duffle.

They wasted no time and jumped into the van, Dennis taking his place behind the wheel.

The van peeled away from the curb.

“Those aren’t for us, are they?” Bonnie asked.

Robin was typing as fast as she could.

“It doesn’t matter,” Mia said, calmly, “We got what we wanted. We planned for this scenario.”

Robin’s eyes went wide. “It was called in. Probably a witness.”

Dennis hit the steering wheel. “Damn.”

“Don’t lose your cool,” Mia reminded, “We will switch vehicles. It’s part of the plan.”

Mia saw the concerned expressions on her crew. She knew that this was the hardest part. Change never came easily. But it was going to be worth it.

She was so close.

Mia took a deep breath and  repeated her sixth resolution in her head to keep herself calm.

The final resolution that would free Mia from her old life: Take a long vacation.

January 06, 2024 02:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.