The Winning Arrangement

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Friendship

           Weather cooperated with Richard’s plans for attending the state fair. No rain. Lots of sunshine, but not too hot. The people wore clothing colorful enough to be an entry of a florist’s design. He believed walking the fairgrounds to be more pleasurable than an ocean cruise.

           Richard, thirty-years-old and with brown hair, looked at his map. He noticed the university’s home and garden landscaping display on the map. Maybe it will give me ideas for my floral arrangements.

           The water garden, hardly four feet across, held 3 small goldfish. It was surrounded by natural rocks placed in an appealing oval. How could he incorporate this idea into his collection of flower designs? He stooped to read the description of the plants.

           Then he felt a nudge to his rear end. He stood to look who bumped into him.

           The woman apologized profusely.

           “I’m sorry sir. I was looking at the other side of this path and never saw you. I’m so sorry.”

           “Don’t worry about it. I’m not hurt. It was partly my fault for sticking my butt into the walkway.” Pointing at the sign, he said, “I was trying to read what plants they used in this water garden.”

           Pointing at a desert landscape on the opposite side, she said, “I was looking at this exhibit with the cacti. I am here to find ideas for Darling Roses, my shop. You see, I am a florist.”

           “Really? I’m here for the same reason. That is, get ideas for my shop. I’m a florist too.”

           While Richard just wore a t-shirt and shorts, she wore a coordinated outfit of a lacey blouse and a mid-length skirt. He considered her tall figure as pleasing. Long auburn hair was tinted with a blue which matched her eyes. Beautiful eyes.

           “May I compliment you on your eyes? They remind me of light blue irises.”

           She smiled with obvious enjoyment of the compliment. “I always thought they were a little darker, like a light blue hyacinth.

           “Let me introduce myself. I am Adriana Russo.” She held out her right hand.

           He said, “Hello, I am Richard Schmitz.” The two shook hands. “It’s always good to meet a colleague.”

           “I have a flower arrangement entered in the professional class of the flower show. Would you like to go see it?”

           “I would love to. I am entered too. You can give me your opinion of my entry.”

           They finished walking through the display, laughing at plants that had no flowers or were too tall for the surrounding flora. They both liked the decorative hummingbird and birdhouse accents.

           Then they strolled to the Pride of the State building where flower exhibits were held.

           Richard and Adriana, without holding hands, ambled through the building with flowers of various hues of red, white, and blue and multiple petals. They admired and talked about how each arrangement could be improved and how it compared to their own.

           They stopped to stare at a design in the shape of a butterfly. Black wires for antennas and green, little chrysanthemums formed the body. Lines of carnations, roses, and purple cone flowers stretched to the sides.

           They looked at each other and shook their heads. It could not win.

           Lastly, they made sure to view each other’s entry.

           Adriana’s flowers formed a tall, vertical triangle with a single, white gardenia at the peak. Red Roses, pink Peonies, and white Lily of the Valley spread to each side to make the triangle. Spiked edged greens interspersed the flowers. The pedestal base mirrored the colors of the arrangement.

           “Wow!” said Richard. “My customers could never afford that. Especially this time of year. Those are some expensive flowers! It’s nice, but that pedestal distracts from the flowers.”

           “If my customers are going to spend money to buy flowers, they want the best.”

           “I’m just saying that a good arrangement can be made with less money. My customers could probably buy two of mine for one of yours.”

           “Is that right?” she said without a smile. With a flourish of her hand, she said, “Let’s see what you made.”

           At Richard’s display, Adriana placed her hands on her hips. “Is that all it is?”

           The flowers sat in a wood base, low as it was flat and long. It included Baby’s Breath, Daisies, and red Carnations. Much of the composition consisted of green leaves of various shades and shapes. The design appeared to be a sideways S.

           “Didn’t I tell you a reasonably priced design can be just as pleasing?”

           Adriana took her hands off her hips. “I want my designs to be special. I want the scent of the flowers to be part of the composition. I want the owner to be able to pick one special flower out of the bunch to give to a loved one.”

           “I think there is enough room in the world for both our ideas.”

           For a minute, each stood still wondering what to say to other. Then Adriana simply started to walk away.

           Richard enjoyed the day with her and did not want it end. “Adriana, may I ask you on a date? That is, if you are not married.”

           She turned to answer. “No, I’m not married And no, I do not want a date. I am quite self-sufficient. I don’t need a date.” Then she strode away while Richard watched her with a sad gaze.

           A week later, Richard decided to go to Darling Roses business. At the shop’s door, he held a present of flowers. With one hand he straightened his tie, then stroked his hair. He took a deep breath and entered.

           Adriana halted her arranging with flower still in hand as she examined him. His suit indicated a much more careful attitude than when they first met, but his present did not.  

           Richard cautiously approached Adriana.

           “Either of our flower arrangements should have won over that gaudy butterfly.”

           She placed the flower in her vase. Without smiling she looked at him and listened.

           “I want to apologize for hurting your feelings,” said Richard.

           Hard lines in her face softened.

           “I had a difficult time choosing what kind of flowers to bring you. Neither of our designs were good enough for the judges.” Richard’s hand rubbed up and down the base. “You didn’t like mine, so, I went to a higher authority: God. He provides wildflowers for the poor man to give to a woman. I chose wildflowers.”

           The mason jar base held not only long blades of grass, but also wildflowers cut out from photographs attached to long pipe cleaners. Adriana noted the unprofessional flowers.

           “You couldn’t bring me real wildflowers?”

He set the arrangement on the counter. “I didn’t know which ones were endangered so I used my camera. I wish you could have enjoyed their scent.”

“Where did you find wildflowers? We’re in the city.”

“In a ditch near my grandfather’s farm, about an hour drive from here. Do you know what it is like taking pictures of flowers blowing in the wind?”

           Adriana gradually beamed with delight. “You went to that much work for me? Thank you.”

           Looking carefully at a photograph, she said, “I recognize the Multiflora Rose.” She took a closer look at a white flower. “And this is Queenanne’s Lace.” She touched another. “And this yellow one is a Brown-Eyed Susan. She looked at him while pointing. “I don’t recognize this one.”

           “I saw that and thought of you. The flowers are the blue of your eyes. The plant only blooms in the morning. It was a trick catching it.

           Adriana laughed. “Kind of like me.” She walked around the counter. “You have the winning arrangement in my opinion.” She gave Richard a kiss that amounted to a peck on the cheek. “I take an hour off for lunch. Let’s go eat.” She locked up and they left hand in hand.

March 26, 2021 16:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.