0 comments

Holiday

The bright lights pounced across the city like a leopard. Hearts leapt at the sound of voices and cars bristling against the tinsel. People were ready.

Nothing could stop the roaring or souls and the need for company. It was as if it was every bodies last chance to connect before time went. Parties were everywhere.

They found each other in a tiny club. Intimate and quiet. Like a mini-riviera in the midst of hell. They danced.

The music pulsated around them like pools of delight. They couldn't even see what each were wearing- such was their trance.

Intoxicated by their surroundings, they span like mini torches dropped to the ground. Other people did not matter so long as they had each other.

What was his name? What was her name? They looked blankly at each other trying to distinguish their faces. They glittered like glow worms in the night leaving a flurry of images to digest.

What was this thing called? Love? The need for togetherness and closeness. The want of someone near and dear.

They couldn't shake each other off. It was as if the world was pulling them together with an invisible cord. They couldn't resist one another.

'You were wearing.' 'No you were wearing'. They had not decided yet. The attraction was there. Half- lit, night-bathed magnetism, but it was there.

The sweetness of sworn sorrow threatened to take them apart. The immediacy of their meeting seemed to blow the stars away. For the time being they forged ahead, dancing in time to the music. They were being flung around the globe, encircling and entwining each other in the beats in the background. Nothing could stop them

'I'm hungry' she said. He glanced at the table. The food fudged against the background. They snacked together. The countdown had begun.

Time trickled by, like the over pour of a drink. They nestled somewhere together away from the ever growing crowd. The noise, the noise. It gripped them and never let them go as if enthralled by their very presence. Pandemonium.

If they could just.....stop...one second- they'd be able to see the lights all round. The rush to big Ben, to hear it's chimes.

They were losing touch of one another. The warmth of their breaths on each other.

"Where are you?" he yelled. The music both propelled and repelled them towards and away from each other. Like little ants in a tiny landscape they scrambled for their lives trying to secure and maintain their energy for one another.

The beat went on. Big Ben chimed. The party simmered down. They had tried to exchange numbers between the danced numbers. They had held each other for a moment. That was enough.

The day to day drudgery of living was catching up with them. Their encounter, although brief, had launched a myriad of memories. They had seen something in each others eyes. The act of life itself in all its aspects.

That it was shared, was the main thing. No-one could take that away from them at all. There had been meaning in their meeting. Perfect strangers, pushing against the world.









December 29, 2019 15:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.