2 comments

Fantasy Suspense Teens & Young Adult

Rem sat patiently in the waiting room on the hard folding chair, thinking only about what was going to happen next.

“Number 71,” a voice echoed over the loudspeakers on all walls of the room. “Number 71, your services are needed through the yellow door.”

Looking down at the index card given to her not so long ago, Rem recognized the large 71 printed on each side. Her eyes surveyed the room, which now seemed much larger than it had originally, and found a yellow door to her left.

She stood and made her way down a row of chairs identical to the one she had been sitting on. Some were occupied by others, waiting their turn to be useful, and some had already been emptied.

Stopping in front of the assigned door, she handed her index card to an older woman nearby, who promptly put the card into a shredder.

The sound of which startled the girl, causing her to jump slightly. The woman rolled her eyes and motioned for Rem to move along. 

She faced the yellow door yet again and watched it as a small screen above its golden handle scrolled a few simple words across it.. #71…wedding…maid of honor…Clara…

These words excited Rem, it had been a long time since she had been to a wedding and never before was she given such an important job.

Taking a deep breath, she turned the handle and stepped through the yellow door. 

Yellow arrows lined the floor to indicate her next steps. 

First, she was guided into a room where a few more old women, who looked oddly similar to the one she had just encountered, helped her into a lavender silk dress and put her hair into a tidy bun.

The arrows then took her into a theatre-like room where she sat in yet another uncomfortable folding chair and watched as a short informational film was displayed before her.

A large screen appeared, showing a young woman, blonde, with a white robe and messy hair. The bottom left-hand corner of the screen read the word, Clara. She was crying and looking up at another woman in disarray. The screen indicated that the secondary woman was to be called mother.

Rem could not hear what the two were saying but she immediately felt a twinge of guilt and sadness for young Clara.

A flashing light told Rem that the video was soon to her over and a set of rules scrolled onto the screen.

1. You will not act unless told

2. You will not speak unless spoken to

3. You are not the main character

As soon as it had begun, the video stopped and the yellow arrows instructed Rem to exit the room and move on.

Now walking down the narrow hallway, she passed by several duplicated old women holding various objects in outreached hands. 

The arrows pointed her towards a particular one who was holding a large garment bag, which Rem took and continued on.

Finally, she came to another yellow door and the glowing arrows disappeared from her vision as she stepped through.

She opened it to a hotel room where Clara and mother were sitting in front of a vanity getting their hair done. 

Clara gasped “Oh thank goodness you made it! I was starting to get worried that my dress and best friend were missing on the most important day of my life.”

“Sorry,” replied Rem. “Traffic was terrible and my cab driver didn’t know the fastest way here. But I’m here now and so it is the most beautiful white dress I have ever seen. I must admit I took a peek last night because the anticipation was killing me.”

“That's okay, I’m just so excited. My makeup is almost done and then you can help me put it on.”

Rem sat down on the soft hotel chair and her body sunk in like the chair was giving her a much-needed hug. 

She was not able to sit for more than a few seconds before Clara needed her help to get into a puffy white dress that they delicately took out of the garment bag. 

After posing for a few pictures with Clara and mother, Clara got the feeling the ceremony was about the start and the three of them were about to leave the hotel room when Rem felt the sudden urge to touch Clara’s shoulder.

As she did so, Clara’s eyes glazed over and her blank stare penetrated Rem’s thoughts. She quickly let go of the bride's shoulder and tried to continue out of the room.

“That's funny,” Clara said distantly.

“What's wrong?” asked Rem.

“Why aren’t any of my other bridesmaids here? And where did the hairstylist go?”

“I think the hairstylist left while we taking pictures and the girls are getting ready in another room,” Rem crafted her response carefully. “Now let’s go make sure you get married on time.”

Each of them stepped through the doorway and Rem found herself alone again. In a smaller room, with only an uncomfortable folding chair, waiting for Rem to take a seat. 

She sat down at the waiting began. 

She felt as if she had been waiting an eternity, but when another yellow door appeared to take her to the next objective, it seemed like just a few seconds. 

This door opened to a dark narrow hallway, and Rem began to walk quickly until she ran into Clara.

“There you are,” Rem said with a twinge of sternness in her voice.

Clara looked up at her with tears in her eyes, “I don’t think I can do this. I barely know him.”

Rem sighed and suggested the pair go and find mother, who would know exactly what to do. Clara opposed this idea, but Rem stood from and grabbed Clara by the hand.

She didn’t let go until they found mother some way down the hall.

Mother immediately began yelling at Clara for leaving the wedding ceremony. Clara tried to protest but mother would not let her speak or defend herself.

Rem felt bad about the situation, but when Clara tried to get away she held her where she was and faced her towards mother.

This continued until Clara's small body could not take any more pressure and she crumbled to the floor. 

She sobbed and hid while mother yelled and Rem watched. She watched and watched the endless stream of yelling and tears.

Suddenly a loud sound erupted from the walls. The blaring of a fire alarm told the group to leave the building.

Mother and Rem ran down the hallway the way Rem had come from, and yellow arrows appeared on the ground telling them where to go.

Rem looked back to see that Clara has stayed in her curled position on the floor, even though the fire alarm meant danger. 

She thought about going back to help Clara, but the rules did not allow her to. 

At the end of the hall, mother pushed through one last yellow door where a large group of people was lined up in a single file. 

Mother and Rem got in line behind a young man in a tuxedo.

Mother tapped him on the shoulder and went to shake his hand, “Great job out there,” she said. “You were kind but just boring enough to make her question everything.”

“Thank you!” Said the young man. “That means a lot coming from a veteran like yourself.”

He turned toward Rem, “It was really you that kept her on track though. There’s nothing like the approval of a best friend to make sure everything is going according to plan.”

Rem nodded and the others turned back around to face the line, as it slowly inched forward.

Sometime later, when she finally made it to the front of the line, an older woman asked gruffly for identification.

“R.E.M” the girl stated.

She was then handed an index card with the number 306 printed on each side. The older woman directed her to go through a dark gray door this time.

Back into the room full of uncomfortable folding chairs to wait some more. 

As she sat down, Rem thought of young Clara. Wherever she was, she would be woken up by her alarm clock by now. Tear-streaked face and sweat on her nightshirt. 

But that was not for her to think about, she was to think of nothing until she heard the speaker again.

“Number 306.”

July 30, 2021 20:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Stacey Jackson
21:21 Aug 11, 2021

Ooooh. That was twisted! Love that REM was the narrator.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tricia Shulist
03:59 Aug 07, 2021

That was fun. And a bit disturbing. 😊. Very imaginative. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.