Lockdown Letters

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

2 comments

Kids Coming of Age Historical Fiction

Author’s Note

This story is based on me, and my life and friends during lockdown, or when the coronavirus was really bad. I hope you enjoy, as always!

My name is Hayden Jackson. I am ten years old. To this day, the coronavirus is still going on, but I can tell all about it in third grade, when it was really bad. I still remember it, and I will for the rest of my life.

Monday, March 9

It is the day after my birthday. I was sitting in front of my computer earlier, thinking, Why? The reason was COVID-19. I decided I had to write to you sooner or later, so yeah. I was told that this would only go on for a week or two, but nobody knew. Everyone was paranoid, my class was only joking about it a week ago. We were all surprised, nothing like this had ever happened before. Our teacher had said it was nothing to worry about, so cross my fingers!

Love,

Hayden

Monday, March 21

We were all worried about this disease. We were all wrong about how long it was going to last. I was worried about my school’s last day of school celebration, Fun Day.  My mom kept reassuring me that nothing would happen. I bet the 5th graders were worried about their graduation. I hope everything will be okay.

Love,

Hayden

Thursday, April 30

 I know it has been over a month since I wrote, but I was busy with school. I have this new thing where I listen to relaxing music on youtube as I do my work. My dad said he might install apple music on the computer. I also wrote a poem:

 In the cold glacier

An arctic fox stands lonely

Howling at the moon

I hope it is good enough, I can’t wait to hear from Ms. Somers! I also want to hear from Tyler and my friend Emma. I also asked Ahdanya to sit next to me on the bus next year. Ahdanya is a second grader. I will start to keep track of time and write sooner!

Love,

Hayden 

Thursday, May 14

Since you don’t write back, I’m no longer writing a letter a week, I’m writing a letter a month. I just want to hear from you! I will also tell you all of my assignments that I am currently working on.

For math, I am on chapter 10.

For writing, I am starting a personal narrative.

For reading, I am working on stop and jots for the book Esio Trot.

And for word study, I will always be doing an activity from an activity sheet. 

What's going on with you? What are you doing in college? I hope you are having fun! I certainly am not really.  >: ( . I wish dad would install it sooner! I mean apple music. Sammy has been acting up lately, you know, doing normal bad behavior kid stuff.  But I am fine. School is fine. I hope you and college and work are doing fine, too! 

Tuesday, June 9

It’s the end of the school year and I can’t wait to get this over with! It is great, having to only do some writing and some reading. Math is still a lot. Math will always be a lot. I hate having to do math, anyway! For math I am on chapter 12. For reading we are reading a book called The Magic Finger. For writing we are doing End of the Year Reflections. For Word Study we are doing a math review. I can’t wait til the end of the year and summer camp!

Love,

Hayden 

Monday, July 6

Summer camp is great! I’ve got tons of friends in my group, including my best friends, Chloe and Kayla. The twins, Madison and Grace Pebble, didn’t come this year. Sammy really misses Logan Pebble, Madison and Grace’s little brother. The activities I like are Mini Golf, Swimming, Tennis, and High Ropes. High Ropes is so much fun! There is a large rope course that you can go on, plus a sixty foot rock wall you can zipline off of! It’s a lot of fun! I hope you are having a good summer at college. I miss you so much!

Love you lots,

Hayden  

Dear Hayden, 

I love you so much, and I miss you so much too. I wish I could be with you in this horrible mess, but college is so far away from Rock ville, and Maryland.  Here in Miami, Florida, it is always hot, so summer camp started sooner for me. Florida International University is very intense, probably one of the best, but hardest, colleges in my opinion. I am lucky I got invited from my baseball skills. Summer camp is great for me. I love that it is good with you. High Ropes sounds like a lot of fun! My personal favorite activity is canoeing and boating along the Miami Shore. I made a great new friend called Emy and she is very friendly and thoughtful. Plus, I’ll always have Daniel and we are still best friends.  So yeah. I love that you sent me letters every month. I tried to send you letters back, but we figured out that they all landed at the neighbor down the street’s house. I hope this one you will be able to get. I have nothing much to tell you of, except for my job! We all had to pick three things to study! Since I like tech, and building things, and stuff like that, I picked Boating, Technology, and Woodworks. I sometimes have to skip camp for my classes, but it’s fine. I love having to go back, sometimes Emy gets a little compulsive in competition. Don’t get me wrong, I love her, but she hates losing. Can you inish up LEGO City Undercover for me and let me know how it ends?  I guess that's really it, Hayden. Hopefully this doesn’t get dropped off at the wrong house yet again! I love you so, so much, and really miss you!

Love,

Your Brother Greyson

February 12, 2021 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dhwani Jain
10:19 Jul 25, 2021

Hello Maddison! This is a cute, sweet story. I found it very easy to read and quick. Really appreciate the use of the prompt. Nice work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Jackson
15:57 Jun 26, 2021

Hmmm. . . i like it Haylee but. . . i donna i think i like your other stories better (no offense it is just what i think). from, Grace

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.