4 comments

Horror Sad Mystery

Humans can be the most dangerous animals when it comes to making and breaking the rules, as the time demands. When someone forbids a person to go in a particular place, that person would definitely go there to see why is that place forbidden for him. And then he has to face the consequences of it. Life is unpredictable, you never know when your life would take a scary turn for breaking a simple rule.

My life has been about migrating from one foster home to another. I don’t know who my parents are, I lived in an orphanage until 7. And from seven to seventeen I have been to ten different foster homes. They say I’m a bad omen. I don’t know if its true or not. But if it is, I can’t stay beside them to hurt them.

This last foster home is of Mr. Maguire with whom I’m living for almost one and a half year. And he was the first person who treated me like his own daughter. He always talked about his real daughter who died because of some unknown reason. He never said how she died, may be it was something that was hurtful for him. He often use to call me by her name Sylvia. She was such a beauty, he showed me her pictures she was of my age or maybe a bit older than me. Mr Maguire always grieved for his lost daughter. I can see the pain in his eyes, whenever he mentioned sylvia. Sometimes I doubted him. His talks and gestures sometimes pointed towards his guilty conscience. As if he was the reason behind her death. But I dared not to ask, as I dont want to get kicked out of this house too.

Mr Maguire, was a scientist. He worked in a government lab. He met with an accident, two years ago. And was paralyzed from both legs. Which led to his early retirement. He regularly receives pension which is pretty much enough to pay the bills. He insists paying my college fees, so I can focus only on my studies.

“Kia?” He called when I was preparing breakfast.

“Yes?” I came out of kitchen, and led to his computer table where he was checking some mails.

“I received a mail, there is a conference in london. And I’m invited to join it. Would you mind if I go?” He asked politely.

“No, Mr. Maguire why would I mind? You should go if you want to.” I was surprised that he was asking me if he can go or not.

“I’ll be gone for three days, and I don’t want you to be alone.” He sighed.

“Ahh.. it’s ok. I can take care of myself. I’m a big girl now. You don’t have to worry about me.” I assure him.

He smiles, and I return to the kitchen to do my pending work.

The next day he is ready with all his luggage packed. He gives me money and keys of his locker if I need more of it. He gives me instructions about the work I have to do instead of him. And suggest me to be early at home and lock all the doors properly. As we live in suburbs, I need be more careful about my surroundings.

“And one last thing, Stay away from our new neighbour, Harry?” He strictly informs.

“Yeah, Harry. But why? Is something wrong.” I inquired.

“I don’t know, I don’t get good jibes from him.” He searches number for the online cab, in his phone.

“I’ll keep that in mind” I chuckle.

After he left, I get ready for my college. I locked all the doors, and double checked it. Just to make sure. I was locking the gate, and I felt someone staring me. I turned to look, and surprisingly it was that forbidden person, Harry. He smiled at me. But I couldn’t as Mr. Maguire’s words about him come to my mind. I just walk off casually pretending as if I didn’t see him.

“Hey kia” He called, and I was surprised that he knew my name.

With my heart beating faster I turned to look at him. He came jogging to me.

“Do you know you’re special?” I don’t know what is he talking about. I nod confused.

“You are a sheild, against the bad things.” He continues,

" Ah.. Mr. Harry, I’m being late for my college. I’m sorry but I have to leave.” I start walking, fortunately he doesn’t call me or follow me. But I’m scared about what he said. I pass all day thinking about it. And by the end of the day I decide to talk to Harry, and know what exactly he was talking?

When I return from college, instead of going to my house I end up standing at Harry’s door. I so much want to ring the bell, but Mr. Maguire’s words hover in my mind. I’m about to leave, but Harry opens the door and says.

“How long do you want to stand there?” He quirks his eyebrows. And that’s when I notice his pale skin and an odd colored eyes.

‘Did I make a mistake?’ I think to my self. “I…I’m sorry ..I..I.was …I don’t know what I was thinking.” I turn to leave.

“Wait, You don’t need to be scared. No one can harm you. Not even me. Believe me.” his words make me stop. Now I’m more eager to know what he knows about me, which I don’t. He makes way for me to enter his house. It’s more elegant then I thought it to be. He asks me to sit comfortably and he darts towards the kitchen to bring water. I cautiously take a small sip, and put the glass on the table.

“As I said you don’t have to be scared of me, I can’t harm you in any way.” He repeated. And I was so much done with my silence.

“What are you? And what are you talking about me?” I snapped.

He eyes me up and down and then asks

“Are you sure you can handle the secret I’m going to share?” He raised his eyebrows.

I nodded vigorously. As I wanted to know every thing.

“Ok then, I’ll start with you. You have a sheild around you, which protects you from every evil things present in this world. And about me, I’m a vampire. And I’m surprised why am I not affected by your sheild.”

I gulped, as it was too much to digest.

“You are a vampire? And I’m a sheild? Are you trying to tell me some movie story?”

“No, it’s not a story. Look” he shows me his bangs. Which are pretty much scary.

“So we human’s are your food?” I confirm. To know if I should stay or run away.

“No! Our food is blood, doesn’t matter where it comes from. And don’t worry I’m a good vampire. Your sheild proved that, by allowing me around you.”

“So can you roam freely on the streets?”

“Oh yes, no body noticed anything, And it’s Halloween I can wear my traditional costume and pretend to be what I really am. Ha..ha..haa.” He laughs.

" Good” I didn’t know what else to ask.

“Well your neighborhood is too good to stay. I was welcomed here with lots of food.”

“What food?” I raise my voice.

“Oh. Not my food. Cooked food that you people eat.” He noded.

“Oh.” I relaxed.

He went on and on about how much he liked staying here. He also said that people here were good and people liked him as well. It was his first time to live with humans. He was glad he chose this suburb.

It was Halloween. Every body was dressed in costumes to trick or treat the neighbors. I was standing on my door when kids went to Harry’s door. I held a breath, if he comes out in his real form the kids are going to faint. I watch curiously. The door opens Harry comes out in his costume of vampire. And instead of getting scared the kids scare him.

“Trick or treat.” A plumpy kid show’s him his bag full with trick packages.

“Oh..spare me, here take your treat” he offered sweets. He noticed me and smiled at me. His bangs were visible from this distance. I just waved.

Three day’s passed in a blink. I befriended Harry. And we liked each other’s company.

Mr.Maguire returned home. He rested for a while and then came to me to know how did I spend my days.

I told him everything about Harry and his nature. He frowned and squeezed his eyes shut.

“You made a terrible mistake by befriending him”

“But he is a good one. Believe me I have seen him closely” I try to explain.

“Sylvia, she made the same mistake. She was pregnant with a vampire child. She was getting weaker day by day. It was killing her slowly. So I decided to kill it. I injected a medicine which her body rejected as she was very weak for it. She died, my Sylvia died. I killed her.” He cries out loud.

“And the baby?” My voice shivered.

“The baby died as well” he cried

“Believe me Mr. Maguire Harry is not that kind of vampire, I’lI call him”

By said that, I storm out to see Harry.

I just enter without knocking,

“Harry, you should come to meet Mr. Maguire. He think’s you are a bad vampire ” He doesn’t respond at first,

“Are you sure? He won’t be scared of me?” He then asks

“I don’t think so.”

He walks with me to our house, he enters and stand in front of Mr.Maguire. He close his eyes and inhales deeply.

“Finally” Harry says. Mr Maguire looks at him. And his expression changes from sadness to shock.

I can’t understand what’s happening. I walk to Mr Maguire

“What happened?” I ask.

“He is the one..he..he is…”he raises his hand towards Harry.

I look up to see Harry’s expression changed from sober to evil. He smiles devilishly. I realize how big mistake I’ve made by inviting him to our house. He instantly grabs Mr.Maguire by his throat suffocating him.

“You killed my child” he roars. I cover my ears from that scary shout. He lifts Mr.Maguire from his wheelchair. He can’t breathe his eyes pop out. And he swat his hand on the hand suffocating him. I scream.

“No Please .. please leave him. please”

He listens to me and releases Mr.Maguire. He fells flat on the floor, panting heavily.

“Only in one condition, you’re coming with me.” He holds my chin, face to face.

“No…” Mr.Maguire shouts.

“You or him?” He points towards Mr. Maguire who is still on the floor, unable to move.

“I’lI come.” I say that with tears in my eyes. Now I myself believe that I’m a bad omen. Which is not only bad for others but for me too.

He stands and extends his hand for me. I hasitate. He bents down. And I feel another threat coming but he says.

“As I said earlier, I can’t harm you in any way. That’s true. And I don’t know why, but I’m attracted to you.” He stands up straight and wait for me to stand beside him.

This is going to be the worst decision of my life but if it saves one life. I have to take the chance. With that I stand beside him. He grasps my hand and warps to his land from which I can’t return to human world.

October 23, 2020 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Natalie Dafoe
01:34 Nov 01, 2020

Hey! This story is very interesting, action- packed and kept me intrigued until the very end. I like Kia's innocent nature, and the way Harry is nice until he discovers who Mr. Maguire is, it adds depth to the character beyond the "brooding vampire" trope. A few sentence structure things, so take it with a grain of salt :) "why is that place forbidden for him" You can likely revise to "why it is forbidden" for clarity / conciseness. In the same paragraph, maybe change he to they since the gender of the person is unknown? "Mr. Magu...

Reply

Nasreen M
19:06 Nov 01, 2020

Thank u Lara Rose, very much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind next time. I'm new to this writing process, so I definitely will try to improvise as you suggested.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Em P.W.
19:29 Nov 09, 2020

Really great plot here! I especially love how the ending is slightly open, giving way for my imagination to take over. XD

Reply

Nasreen M
12:59 Nov 12, 2020

Thanks Em P.w. Thank u for reviewing it. Very much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.