Feeling Unsteady

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fiction

I've always envisioned myself walking in heels as if I were a newborn giraffe experiencing the uneven plains of the savannah for the first time. Being a girl did not come with any informational pamphlets or a play by play. I always lacked the finesse most beautiful young women displayed. But tonight I was braving this wedding in heels, lipstick, and overpriced jewelry for my best friend.

Somehow, Julie could light up a room with her smile and laughter unlike any other person I've known. It's like this warmth she exudes encapsulates you even from a distance. It's catching and comforting all in the same.

We met in our 10th grade year of high school almost 12 years ago. Julie being the outgoing, fearsome creature she was, befriended me as I sat alone in the back of the class.

"Hi, I know you don't know me and this is lame, but could I borrow some paper and a pencil? Ugh of course I left my stuff in my P.E. locker and didn't have time to backtrack to get it. You know how early morning practice is."

Of course I didn't, so I simply smiled and offered her the requested classroom supplies.

"Jesenia isn't it?" Julie inquired.

"Oh um, yeah. But you can just call me Jessie." I sheepishly replied.

"Well thank you so much, Jessie. You're a lifesaver."

Little did Julie know, she was saving my life. Life was hard being a teenage girl without her mother. Without any female influence other than my complete obsession with the late, great, kickass Eleanor Roosevelt, Julie became a lifeline for me. She helped me learn what it meant to be feminine, to have pride in my image, and to develop a sense of style that complimented my personality. It is known that heavier girls try to bury their figure under dark colors and baggy shirts. Julie never heeded the same judgment as others about my appearance. Over the following years, Julie aided me in gaining the confidence required to choose myself first. During our sophomore year of college, we made a bargain with ourselves. If I didn't make Julie exercise alone then she wouldn't leave me to attend any concert alone. Unsure if it was her master plan all along, she encouraged a healthier side of myself to bloom.

"Why don't you mingle Jessie? I'm sure there's a potential love match here for you." Rhett teased while bumping my shoulder with his as he finally found me sulking in my small corner of reprieve. Julie's new husband had as much confidence in my capabilities at being America's Sweetheart as Julie did. I suppose that's what made them such a dynamic duo. Getting to spend the last 5 years as their third wheel gave me relief that someone out there was promised the gift of true love.

"Meh, you know I'm not much for flirting or lighthearted conversation, Rhett. Now give me a strapping fella with a cynical sense of humor and a love for all things crude, then we may be in luck." I snarked.

"Well you may just consider yourself lucky yet." Rhett arched his brow while glancing behind me then turned to hunt his brushing bride.

Confused, I returned to face the crowd as I discovered a new guest had entered my alcove of solitude. He was attractive. A strong jaw outlined in a dark, short cropped beard. Easily over 6 foot he wore a mask of indifference as he towered over most other men present. He wore a dark blue suit that complimented his bright blue eyes perfectly. Somehow the guy hadn't attracted all of the carnivorous women of prey.

I crossed my arms and began sipping my cocktail catching tall, dark, and handsome glancing my way.

"You know, that old guy over there with the plaid sports coat? He most definitely sneeze-sharted near the cheese platter. I don't suggest perusing that area of the reception." Mr. "Sexy and didn't know it" commented.

Through a mortifying moment of hilarity, cocktail sprayed from my nostrils. A few unfortunate bystanders gave me a look of disgust and scooted their gathering further away.

"I'm so sorry, here let me help you." My cynical commentator offered me his napkin with a bit of his own chuckle.

"Did you really just say Rhett's grandfather sharted near the cheese trays?" I guffawed.

"No, I said he sneeze-sharted, which is considerably worse. By the way, my name is Dean." He replied.

"You're THE Dean?! Man oh man have I heard of you!" I teased.

"I'm going to assume you were told about a mysterious, good-looking man, with many talents." Dean said with a challenging smirk.

"None of that. Just some lumbering jackass that tended to land Rhett into trouble during his "innocent youth"". I chuckled.

"Ah, so they're selling me short again."

"Not at all, didn't you catch the lumbering part?" I poked.

According to Rhett, Dean had been his best friend and partner in crime from childhood. They had a falling out when Dean decided to stay home and develop his family business rather than head south for college with Rhett. Unclear as to what their primary disagreement was, I had never felt it was my place to prod.

Rhett and I would be having a conversation about Dean though. He never once prepared me for what a gorgeous man I'd be discussing sharts with!

In the background a tumultuous song began playing and an ear shattering squeal could be heard throughout the reception. Before I knew it, I was being corralled by a drunk Julie to the dance floor.

She grabbed my drink and pitched it towards Dean, "Hey big guy, could you hold this for my girl? Thanks!" Without giving him a proper amount of time to respond.

I gave my shoulders a shrug of apology at Dean's wide grin and sauntered off with my very drunk best friend.

~~~

“Hey man, I'm so glad you were able to come tonight. I know it was a long drive down.” Rhett approached me with his own glass in hand.

“Man and miss THIS? I've never seen a more beautiful wedding and to see you happy? This is all I've ever hoped for you, brother.” I responded with a sweep of my drink filled hands towards the party, my gaze ending on a particularly beautiful woman. She was holding onto a very inebriated bride, both cackling like mad women, brewing potions to poison the townspeople. Her eyes shone so brilliantly against the darkness of the dance floor. She had a full figure with curled chestnut brown hair cascading down her back. Her long legs, as hard as she may try, could not keep up with the uneven sway of the very drunk Julie.

A deep clearing of a throat had me shaking my head clear.

“I see you've met Julie's best friend, Jessie.” Rhett smirked. “She's really an amazing girl, but hilariously the polar opposite from my dear wife.”

“Yeah, we were just chatting before they went to dance. She seems funny and possibly smarter than me.” I winked.

We both took that moment to laugh. It was a well known fact that I'm an arrogant bastard. If I had anything, it was my intelligence. So many shallow, vapid women had thrown themselves at me, only to find I was uninterested due to their inability to be themselves.

“Listen Dean, I owe you an apology. I'm at a new part of my life now and I see how much of a dick I acted towards you. I should never have let this much time drag on between our friendship.” Rhett began.

“Rhett, buddy, it takes two to tango. Wait. That's the wrong phrase for this. You get what I'm saying. I'm just as guilty. No hard feelings now. We're both grown and starting our own lives. I'm just glad you thought to invite me. I wouldn't want to miss this. I'm really damn proud for you.” I fumbled.

Rhett patted me on the back, “Well brother, let's not wait so long to speak again. I do however, have a very blushing bride that needs rescuing from her drunken escapades. And if you talk to Jessie again, tell her I said she's welcome.”

Leaving me confused with my thoughts, he walked off through the rustle and bustle of the dancing crowd. Before I knew what was happening, someone was falling over into me. Losing both mine and Jessie's drink, I caught her against my chest as we both went down.

“These damned baby giraffe ankles!” She cried as we both lay there laughing wh

ile the crowd continued their merriment.

August 21, 2024 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.