0 comments

Drama Friendship

      Faye stared at the suitcases lined up by the door and avoided the glares of the other two girls just steps away from her. Snow had blocked the door completely, leaving them trapped together in Faye’s cabin, a secluded place that had pretty much no modern commodities.

           “This was supposed to be a one day trip, Faye! Did you even think to check the weather report?” Della shrieked. Faye clenched her fists.

           “Of course I didn’t! There isn’t any service up here! I couldn’t even if I had tried!” Faye yelled back, finally meeting Della’s eyes. Callie’s glare had dropped, replaced with a small frown.

           “Guys, we’re trapped with each other for who knows how long. Can you two try to get along?” Della and Faye’s eyes snapped towards Callie who shrinked a bit under their angry gazes. Rolling her eyes, Della stomped back to her room.

           “That’s right! Go crawl back into your hole! You know I’m always right!” Faye smirked as Della whipped around in her doorway. If looks could kill, Faye would be dead three times over. Callie, apparently giving up on trying to help the two of them, retreated quietly to the living room to wrap up in a blanket.

           “You know,” Della started, voice brimming with quiet fury, “maybe you should drop the pompous rooster act and admit that you’re the one who got us stuck here. You could’ve easily checked the weather before we left.” She gave a tight smile and slammed her door shut as Faye’s cheeks pinked.

           “That wasn’t fair.” Faye mumbled, walking over to join Callie on the couch.

           “Oh, hush. This trip would be a lot better if you tried to be civil with her.” Callie laughed as Faye pouted.

           “But she makes it so hard to play nice!” Faye groaned, burying her head into a pillow.

           “Then why’d you invite her?” Callie asked, genuinely confused. Faye was not able to provide an answer to that question before Della burst out of her room and stomped into the kitchen.

           “You want some help?” Faye made her way to the kitchen to see Della struggling with opening a can of soup. Grabbing it from Della’s hands, Faye quickly popped the lid and handed it back with a smirk.

           “No, I didn’t want help, but I suppose it doesn’t make much of a difference now, does it?”

           “I’m sorry?”

           “You should be. Now, run along. I’m making us dinner so we don’t all starve.” Della turned back to the stove, signifying the end of the conversation. Faye, however, did not pick up on this.

           “Excuse me? What did I do this time?” Faye glowered, crossing her arms over her chest. A cold laugh escaped Della’s lips, but she did not even turn to face Faye.

           “What did you do, darling? The better question is what didn’t you do. You got us trapped in an isolated cabin with no electricity, no internet, and no phone service for who knows how long. You still refuse to accept the blame even though it was one hundred percent your fault. You’re prancing around like the leader here except you haven’t done anything, but pick fights with me. I could go on.”

           “Please don’t.” Faye’s frown deepened as Della continued making the food, never once looking back.

           “Go sit down, Faye. Tell Callie that the food will be ready soon.” Della sighed, glancing at Faye. For a couple minutes, Faye leaned against the counter, debating whether or not she wanted to listen to Della. Ultimately, she did, grumbling to Callie that dinner would be ready in a bit. After a while, Della came out, three bowls of soup on a tray. She set down the first and third bowl down and then handed the second one to Faye.

           “Is this one poisoned or something? Seemed like you wanted me to specifically have this one bowl.” Faye said, spooning soup into her mouth.

           “No, stupid. There aren’t any carrots in that one. I know how much you hate them.”Faye quietly surveyed the bowls, finding that Della was right. Both of the other bowls had carrots, but hers had none.

           “Why do you act like you care?” Faye whispered, twiddling her thumbs.

           “Hm?” Della hummed. She looked up to meet Faye’s wide eyes and upturned eyebrows.

           “Why do you act like you care? You obviously don’t.” Faye hissed, mouth contorting itself into a scowl. Della scowled back, soup forgotten as she stood up.

           “You think I don’t care? If I didn’t care, would I have made sure not to throw in carrots before spooning out your bowl? Would I have even agreed to come on this stupid trip in the first place? That’s right. No. So, I suggest you sit down, eat your soup, and not make a single peep for the rest of the day.” Della growled. Faye bolted up from her seat, chair thrown back.

           “You don’t order me around like you’re my mother or something! All you’ve done since we’ve got here is yell at me! Faye, you didn’t check the weather! Faye, the cabin doesn’t have electricity! Faye, why are you so awful! Guess what? I don’t need you or your stupid food! It doesn’t even taste that good!” Faye thundered, staring longingly at the soup as she began to stomp away.

           “Sit. Down. Now.” Della gritted out. Callie coughed slightly and began to excuse herself before a quick glare from Della silenced her. Faye looked between Della and her room, trying to figure out how fast she could get there. Deciding against running, Faye sat herself down and began to shovel soup into her mouth.

           “You guys need to talk this out.” Callie said, looking between the two nervously.

           “Yes, we should.” Della glared towards Faye.

           “Fine. Why am I so awful?”

           “Faye…” Callie started.

           “You aren’t.” This affirmation from Della made Faye smile a little.

           “Okay, good start, I guess…” Callie smiled tentatively.

           “Why must you always pick fights with me?” Della frowned. Faye rubbed her neck and mumbled something that made Della grin.

           “What was that?” Callie asked.

           “Don’t push it.” Faye said, ears turning red.

           “Um, ok? Why’re you two so smiley now?” Callie got up from the table and walked towards the living room, leaving the two of them by themselves.

           “Della!” Faye sqeaked, looking at the window.

           “What, darling?”

           “The snow! It’s gone! Or mostly at least! Maybe a couple inches left!” Faye grinned at the smiling girl.

           “Finally! We can go home!” Della grabbed the few things she had lying around and threw them into her suitcase. Faye and Cassie, having heard the commotion, did the same and the three girls ran out to the car.

           “Let’s go!” Della yelled, quickly hopping into the passenger seat.

January 15, 2021 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.