0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Zap was a citizen of Rubi Isle on planet tellus - earth’s twin, 800 years younger, evolving. He was handsome and very well built at age 18 and lived in a quarter allotted to him by Kit who owned a sugarcane plantation. Zap was a bachelor. That morning as Zap stood surveying the field to start work, Kit came there which was unusual.

Kit gave a bag to Zap and said “Zap, as you know this year’s crop was damaged and I’ve suffered a big loss. I had to take loans to sustain myself. You’ve been a hard worker which I appreciate but I’m unable to keep you in service. I’ve given you a month’s wages in that bag. I’m sure you can find alternate employment. You may continue to stay in the quarter I’ve allotted you for another month.”

Zap said “This comes as a shock. I’ve heard job vacancies are scarce.”

Kit shrugged and went his way. Zap had dreamt of a rosy future. He had proposed to Lima and the wedding was to take place soon but his dreams were shattered. He wondered what he should do to sustain himself. His first thought was to approach the witch Wizma who could foretell the future by reading stellar movements and body signs. He made his way to Wizma’s house.

Wizma was past middle age and was seated outside her house when Zap approached. She said “Nice to see you Zap. What brings you here so early?”

“Bad news! I’ve been fired by my employer.”

“Doesn’t matter. You could come and live with me. I make enough to feed you also.”

He looked confused and said “I’ve come seeking your reading my future again.”

She said “I’ve already told you that your luck will turn and you could even look to some windfall which will happen soon. That forecast is still valid. Again, as I said, you’re welcome to stay with me. Rid your mind of worry.”

Zap didn’t know what he could do at that hour and so walked along to a forested area where one of his distant kin operated a dairy farm. He knew she had 6 cows and her venture was profitable. She had in her employ a young woman Lima to live with and help in operating the dairy farm. Zap was in love with Lima who would inherit from the old woman. He knocked at the door and it was opened by Lima herself who received him with a big smile.

She said “Zap come in. Surprised to see you at this early hour! Granny has gone to the fair and will return only late in the evening. Be seated. I’ll bring you some cottage cheese and fresh gruel.”

He said “Lima I don’t need anything to eat now.” He felt embarrassed to tell her about being fired and said “My boss sent me to this vicinity and I thought I would take a break and spend some time with granny. But she isn’t available.”

After a moment’s silence he said “We’re going to be married soon. Come here and sit beside me.”

She didn’t need a second invitation and was with him.

He said “It’s a long time since I got a chance to be alone with you. We must make the best of the opportunity.”

Their dalliance started and soon the well-oiled - janua coeli - heaven’s gate - opened to him and she lost what a woman could lose only once!

After a while she got up and said “I was half way through to cooking a meal when you came. Let me finish it.”

She was back soon and served a hot lunch which he praised for its taste. They then sat talking a while. She said “Two days ago one of our cows was in season and Granny arranged for a man to take it to the bull. The man was back a bit early and granny anxiously said ‘I hope it went well’. He said ‘The bull mounted twice and surely a calf would be formed’.”

He said “That has a bearing on what we did. May be we could also.....”

She said “I’m ready.”

Zap complied. Later he said “Lima, I’ve now to go. See you again when the opportunity comes up.”

She said “Okay. Don’t disappoint me.”

Everyone has a weakness and Zap’s was gambling. He would very often visit the house where gamblers met to roll the dice. He would win sometimes. Now after love making and Wizma’s words, he felt luck would certainly favour him. From Lima’s place he went to the gambling joint. There were only 3 players and one man with a red bandana(RB)  around his head sat watching.

Zap started with a small stake and kept playing. He lost all the money he had received from his boss Kit. He turned to go with a heavy heart. He knew he had only Wizma’s house to stay in and wondered about how he was going to live without money.

As he went out RB followed.  RB approached Zap and said “Wait! I want to say something to you.”

Zap nodded. RB said “I can guess you’re ruing having bet so much money. Do me a favour and I’ll compensate you.”

Zap looked at the man with surprise and said “What do you want me to do?”

RB said “Come here tomorrow afternoon and I’ll tell you. Don’t forget.”

Zap agreed.

The next day around noon RB arrived and gave a sealed bag to Zap who was waiting. RB said “A man X will arrive around five in a boat with black sails. I’ll presently give you details of the point of his landing on the coast.” That done RB said “You must wait for X to land and hand over this bag to him. I’ll take care of the rest. Don’t open the bag and don’t try to run away with it. If you do either, you’ll surely be punished.”  

Zap said “I’m only interested in the compensation.”

 The following evening RB met Zap and giving him a bag said “Be careful with it.”  Zap went to the rendezvous venue and waited. The ship with black sails came and anchored before time at the desolate point. A short heavy set man, referred to as X, came alone ashore, and Zap wordlessly handed over the bag to him.  X accepted it and Zap watched the man opening it eagerly. But X flung it away in obvious anger and tried to assault Zap with a knife.  Zap was stronger and though he suffered bleeding wounds, he seized X’s knife and was about to kill the man when two men, one of whom was RB rushed from behind trees shouting “Hold the man don’t kill him. We want him alive.”   

RB handing him a bag said to Zap “Here is your reward. Now go your way. That bag contains gold coins many times over what you lost gambling yesterday. It is pay for the great risk you’ve taken in carrying out my task and for the injuries you’ve suffered which seem to be only skin deep. I hadn’t told you to come armed lest you keep away. Lucky X’s bodyguard didn’t come with him. I had been looking for somebody anonymous for this task and you fitted the bill. Now I want your silence. Don’t talk to anybody about our encounter or this task you’ve completed. Who I am or what happened here is none of your concern.” Zap was silent. RB continued “My companion here and I could’ve perhaps killed you and retained the promised compensation. But I’m a man of my word though I’m a..... . Doesn’t matter!  Go home without looking back.”

Zap immediately looked into the bag and was satisfied though he hadn’t counted the number of gold coins. Despite the pain due to the wounds he walked home as ordered, puzzled no doubt, but very happy. His luck had surely changed!

END

August 17, 2022 15:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.