0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Crime

It wasn’t looks that attracted Lydia to Calvin. It was his scent. A mix of remote wilderness, exotic spices, and botanical gardens. “The nose knows!” is what Lydia’s mother likes to say. This saying was one of the few things she and Lydia could agree upon. 

Leaning against the kitchen doorway, eyebrow arched, lightly biting a thumbnail, Lydia watched him. Even from across the room, his scent wafted to her, all her senses standing in attention. As she crossed the living room, Lydia grabbed a flute of champagne from the passing host’s tray. “Don’t mind if I do!” She intentionally walked in Calvin’s direction. Just as she approached, she waved over him to an imaginary friend and pretended not to notice Calvin’s tall, dark, handsome build unintentionally blocking her path.

“Oh no! How clumsy of me!!” Lydia apologized profusely, “I‘m so sorry! Let me get some napkins and soda water-”

With his hands up, his grin crooked, teeth straight, he assured her it was perfectly fine: “Hardley a drop. No worries at all.”

Again, Lydia heard her mother’s voice, “No worry? Yes, worry’. Lydia didn’t agree. Certainly a well-smelling man by the name of,

“Calvin. Calvin O’Klein”. 

His firm, slightly cool handshake sent shivers down Lydia’s spine—the same shivers she felt when she first caught a whiff of Calvin’s heavenly fragrance.

Lydia held onto his hand. “Lydia, Lydia Abbot. And again, I’m so sorry. Bumping into you and dousing you with champagne.”

Calvin laughed, “Dosing is a bit dramatic, and again, no worries.”

Lydia smiled, still clutching his hand. He wasn’t trying to let go. Silently breathing in deep, Lydia inhaled Calvin, the intoxicating aroma of places she’d been and places she’d like to go. A familiar yet restless feel you get straddling the edge of something exciting, safe but not certain. 

Gently letting go of her grip, Calvin suggested they track down more champagne, “It’s New Year’s Eve after all, must be in steady supply.”

Navigating around the chatty clusters of partygoers, Lydia and Calvin made their way to the kitchen, where a row of prefilled glasses was on the counter. Calvin handed one to Lydia and then took one for himself.

“Cheers to a new year!”

Lydia clinked her flute against his, “Cheers to new friends.” 

Was that a blush? Lydia’s heart skipped a beat, and she blushed back. There was no mistake. The attraction was mutual. An awkward silence followed, interrupted by a leggy, definitely Swedish blonde. “There you are silly! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

Lydia cleared her throat with a pat of her brown bob, “Hi. And who are you?”

With a hair flip and a toothy laugh, “I’m Elsa, Calvin’s fiancee. See?” the blonde introduced herself.

With her left hand extended, Elsa showed off her blue sapphire and diamond band. Lydia pretended not to be surprised or sarcastic: “Oh yes! Of course! You’re the finance!”Elsa laughed again and hugged Calvin tightly. “I’m surprised Calvin mentioned me. He’s such a flirt, my little tom cat”.

Lydia felt ill anger rise in her stomach like a loaf of pandemic sourdough. Engaged or not, there was no way this tall drink of bubbly blonde would steal away her scent of Calvin O’Klein.

Blush now crimson, Calvin cleared his throat, “Uh, Lydia and I were just talking about-”

Elsa tilted her head, “Lydia? How cute”. Lydia’s my grandmother's name.”

Yeasty hatred on the rise, Lydia stretched a smile, “Isn’t that nice.”

Calvin shifted from one foot to the other, “Yes, well, Lydia and I were just talking about-”

“How? I’m your fiance, right?” Elsa clutched Calvin’s arm tighter. Whether it was her grip or conversation, Lydia couldn’t tell. All she knew was she didn’t like it. Thinking fast, she blurted out, “Actually, yes, we were just talking about your wedding. I’m a party planner, and Calvin here was just about to give me his number so we could schedule a time to meet up. All of us, of course”.

Elsa kissed Calvin’s cheek and turned to Lydia, “Oh, perfect! Calvin was so against the idea of a planner. I’m so happy he’s changed his mind! Of course, he’ll give you his number!” 

Lydia waited 24 hours to contact Calvin—his surprise to hear from her was evident.

“Oh hey. Lydia, right? Are you really a wedding planner?”

Lydia lied, although not entirely. She was a party planner, just not for the living. Lydia worked for a mortician.

“So, I was thinking I could meet with Elsa and set up the two of you together another time. How does that sound?”

“Uh, sure. But how much is this going to cost?”

Lydia didn’t want to share the real price he would have to pay, but she answered honestly, “Oh, the first consultation is free, and after that, we can discuss payment.”

Calvin agreed that was fine and offered Elsa’s number, “She’s usually free on Wednesdays and Sundays if you want to set something up soon.”

Lydia immediately called Elsa, and they agreed to meet at Lydia’s apartment on Sunday, only a few days away.

Elsa complimented Lydia’s space, glancing through the door, “I love how bright it is! And your bohemian theme is super cute.”

Lydia thanked her and offered a beverage, “How about some champagne? I always like to offer a toast to potential new clients.” 

Elsa didn’t notice Lydia slip the white powder into the flute, nor did she notice Lydia’s wry smile after toasting, “Cheers to the new couple!”

Within a few minutes, Elsa wouldn’t have a chance to notice, or not notice, anything again. A few hours later, Elsa’s body turned from ashes to dust. Lydia’s access to a cremation chamber was now a perk of her profession.

With Lydia by his side, Calvin filed a missing person report. Lydia confessed that Elsa shared that she might be getting cold feet.

“What? Cold feet? How is that possible? Why would she say that?”

Lydia gave Calvin reassuring pats on the back, “There, there. It happens. I’m sure Elsa didn’t mean it. Don’t worry. I’m sure she’ll be home soon.”

As the days turned weeks and weeks into months, Lydia stayed by Calvin’s side, consoling him and offering hope. The latter Calvin was losing rapidly, his thoughts turning more toward Lydia than his missing fiance. 

Six months after Elsa was last seen at Lydia’s apartment, Lydia and Calvin were engaged. They both knew Elsa would never be found. Tom, safe in his resolve, she had simply changed her mind and run off. Only Lydia was certain Elsa was dead.

May 29, 2024 01:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.