What Your Future Holds

Written in response to: Set your story in an oracle or a fortune teller’s parlor.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Kids Fiction

Johnnie Anne and Eula ran across the fairgrounds. They knew the Gypsies were in town with the Carnivale and this was the only time they could get away with having Yaya read their cards. Every year Yaya and her traveling family would come through town and spend a couple of weeks before moving on to the next town. They would buy supplies for their animals and children. Sell their own craft ware at the local Dog Trade Flea Market.

The sisters walked around the gypsy camp, passing the stage shows and games. The whole place smelled of fair food but not like corn dogs and funnel cakes. It was like stepping into another time and into a foreign land. Johnnie and Eula were smiling. Everything was like the fairy stories that their older sisters and grandmother would tell them at night before bed. Watching the Native American clan perform Eula looked at her older sister. “What do you think Yaya will tell you, sissy?” Johnnie didn’t look at her when she answered. “I don’t know. I don’t even know what I will ask for.”

Walking around the last stage, the girls saw the Alley of Fortune. Crossing over the bridge, the sister looked at each sign naming the Fortune Teller, Mystic, or Oracle inside and the services they offer. The front of all the tents sold charms and spells. Colorful to catch the eye but none of them was the tent they were looking for. Soon, Eula was getting tired of walking. “Is it me or does this lane just go on forever?” Johnnie knew she was going to complain the rest of the time if she didn’t find Yaya soon. Johnnie knew she couldn’t just leave Eula. This was the only time of year that you couldn’t just leave your kids out to play alone. All the new and strange people in town for their Summer Retreat in the healing springs.

As she was going to suggest they just go back to the rides, she saw a round tent in the distance. The only one at the end of the path and close to the treeline next to a cooling pool. “There she is!” Johnnie shouted and pointed excitedly. The sisters ran to the sparkling purple and yellow tent. Slowing their run as they got closer, they felt the air get cooler around them. Eula squeezed Johnnie’s hand. “I don’t want to see Yaya after all.” Just then the flaps flew open as a billow of smoke poured out. “Wait here by the pool. I’ll be right back.” After saying that, Johnnie stepped into the foggy doorway.

Inside, Johnnie waited as her eyes adjusted to the dim grey room. As she stared before her, she saw a table hovering in the middle of the room with a crystal ball on it. There were candles circling the room on invisible shelves and it looks like night has fallen around her. Above her, Johnnie saw more stars than she had ever in her life and a moon so big and bright she could feel the warm glow. The room smelled of water, campfire, and mimosa blossoms. Johnnie glanced over her shoulder and saw the faint sunlight just beyond. Suddenly she could hear her name being called. Almost like the wind was saying her name.

She jumped at the sound. It was all around her. It was inside her. It was like she was touching her own name. “Johnnie Anne, hello child…” she looked to the table just as smokey stairs appeared leading to the floating table. Johnnie stayed at the bottom of the steps. Just looking at them in disbelief. The smoke wasn’t just covering the steps. IT was the steps! “Come closer child” the wind whispered. Johnnie just stood there not knowing what to do now that she was here. She had many questions and none at all. She took one step and the candles got brighter. As she stood on the first step, she looked around. Johnnie looked up at the ceiling and the stars moved.

Creating constellations that are usually not in the night sky. Around the moon, the stars seemed to dance into shapes. As Johnnie watched the stars move around the room, the voice spoke again. “Johnnie, you need to come closer if you want to know.” She looked at her feet and took another step. She didn’t know her question yet. Would she be rich? Would she be famous? Who will she marry? Will she have children? Johnnie took another step and could see Yaya sitting opposite her. “Hello, Johnnie. Don’t your mom and dad won’t find out you and Eula are here. Come and sit now.” As she took the last step, the stairs disappear from behind her. The fog rises around them.

Johnnie stood behind the chair and looked at Yaya. The candles glowed brighter that was near the table. Yaya was dressed in a silk purple mystic dress. Silver trim with tiny bells dangled from her headpiece. She had gold and silver rings on each hand with twinkling stones on each. She had long pointed nails painted in a color that changed as she moved them. Slowly Yaya ran a fingernail over the crystal ball as she moved her other hand in a gesture to sit. The chair seemed to move by itself.

Johnnie sat down as Yaya stood up. She watched as she walked over to another table. Sprinkling herbs into a candle flame as she reached for a box. Green smoke rose from the candle and a new smell filled the room. Green clover and jasmine with soft musk. Yaya sat back in front of Johnnie as she opened the box. Inside was a smudge stick of willow, roses, and sage. Yaya lit the stick and chanted some words over the ball. It glowed shades of pink, purple, blue, and white. “Now child, when you are ready. Ask your question.” Yaya said as her eyes flickered a bright blue. Johnnie sat there for the moment. She looked around watching the room change with each of her thoughts. She glanced down at her hands and looked at the small green heart-shaped stone in her hands. Slowly, she blinked her eyes. With her eyes still closed, she lifted her face to the ball.

Johnnie felt the air in the room change again. In her mind’s eye, she can see the ceiling changed to blue-green color from its deep midnight blue. The moon changed to half from a full and some of the stars faded. Yaya’s dress changed from purple to yellow with red trim and tiny gold bells. She slowly opened her eyes to look at Yaya. Johnnie’s eyes were violet-purple staring at Yaya over the crystal ball. Yaya’s hands were open to each side of the ball and its colors were spinning. “Let’s begin to find out what your future holds,” Yaya said as their eyes locked and a light shot out from the ball.

June 29, 2022 07:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.