13 comments

Drama Fiction Thriller

I was there. Breathe in, breathe out. What is this smell? I was trying to figure this out, but it slipped away in a second. Breezy morning on the beach. The sun is everywhere. I have no idea why I am doing this, but it should be interesting. My mom and dad should be proud of me. This planet looks fantastic, by the way. I have never seen such a deep blue color like the ocean here. It's magic when the sun touches the incoming wave. I can look at this for eternity.

That smell again. What is this? I need to find out. Sweet and sour at the same time. I bet it's called food. We learned it at school. I remember the class when we were discussing the different meals people like to consume. Our teacher mentioned that every food has a unique smell. Maybe that's it, the smell. I like it so much. And the sun is coming up. It's getting hot. I need to check it out. I see there is a small café and maybe the smell is coming from there. It looks interesting. A few tables with tiny chairs around them, blue again. Maybe there is a reason why they used the color of the ocean. Yes, I get it. It's because this café is near the ocean. How silly they would be if they decided to use green instead. We learned a lot about people. They like to add color everywhere.

I remember we tried once to add food coloring to my starry oatmeal. I miss my breakfast. Starry oatmeal always looked and smelled wonderful. I wanted to eat it every day if I can. Okay, I need to sit down here. Let's try this table. It looks stable. Are these chairs too small, or am I too big? Nope, I look fine. I see my reflection in the window. I have this green color on my skin, but they tried to make me look like a very nice girl. I don't care much about the color, but I prefer silver. The starry oatmeal was silver. I think the decision to come to Earth was crazy.

What was I thinking about? Regardless, my reflection looks funny. I look funny, but only to myself. Those two guys sitting two tables away from me are staring at me. I think it’s because of my skin color. Maybe they are not as friendly as we learned. Maybe they are confused. I would be confused too if I saw myself. This green color, I hate it. I should have picked silver. Next time. This smell is definitely coming from here, and it's delicious.

- Hi, guys!

Should I have said that? I don’t know, but they are trying to look at their plates right now. One of them just glanced at me. I know that I don’t look like a pretty girl, but they need to travel to my world to see that I am pretty there, not here. Again, why is what they are thinking bothering me so much?

- What is this smell, do you know?

The language is strange. I have studied it for so long and still do not understand the meaning of some words and phrases. My mother made me read many books and poems. I feel that I know a lot and nothing about them. I have never understood their literature. It seemed too overwhelming with all their love and feelings. I do not know what they are talking about. Should I?

- This smell is coming from your table.

I think I am too intrusive. But I need to find out.

- Croissant, girl.

One of the guys finally answered me. I do like him. He looks like the pictures I saw in our books back home. So sweet of him to call me "girl." Strange green girl.

- Did you party?

- Sorry? I don't understand.

One of them asked me a question. Hmmm...party. I've heard of parties. But what did he say before that? I've got it—croissant.

- I want a croissant, too.

- You are so strange, girl.

- No, I am not. I just want to eat a croissant. The smell is magnificent.

- No one is saying "magnificent." What's wrong with you?

It was rude, I think. But who cares, right? I am getting my croissant. The café actually looks nice, and the ocean is right in front of the café. You can calmly look at it and delve deep into your mind. The croissant is so soft. I need to take a bite right now. I can't stop. I like it. I need two more, or three more, or maybe even more. Why didn't we learn about croissants? It's windy here—breezy. The air is softly touching my face. This is so good.

- Hey, girl, I don't want to tell you, but this green color... You look like the Grinch.

- The Grinch?

Who is the Grinch? Frankly, I don't care anymore. I just want to sit here for a while and enjoy the sun, the breeze, and the whole plate of croissants. But it seems that those guys have decided to interrupt my relaxation. They are moving toward me and don't look friendly anymore.

- You should leave.

- Why?

- Because we don't like you.

That's odd. Why do they need to like me if I just sit at the café and eat my croissants? Maybe it's because of the color. I told them that green is not the one they should choose. But they explained their choice because there are a lot of trees and grass on planet Earth.

- You shouldn't like me. You do not know me.

- Just leave. You do not fit here.

This conversation is silly. I learned a lot about how people talk and how they can be triggered by something they don't like. But it was only in my books. And it was strange to have this type of conversation now.

- I want to eat croissants, just leave me alone. Can I say that?

I said it out loud, didn't I? I told you this language is confusing. And it seems they started getting angry with me. Why are people so complicated? Their books are complicated too. I can hardly understand why one person can like one person and dislike another. Shoot. They are so close to me. I can't see the ocean anymore. That's sad because the café is beautiful, the croissants are moist and tender, but their faces. Are they getting mad at me?

- You are talking too much, girl. Just go away with your croissants. Other people who want to have their morning coffee as usual are afraid to sit because of your green face.

- So it's because I'm green. I knew it.

- Are you stupid?

I think they look ugly now. Their faces changed a lot. The eyes opened wider, the lips are quivering, their cheeks became reddish. Now they look uglier than me. I can't believe that they can be so annoyed by the green color. I will tell everybody that they made a huge mistake. Actually, there aren't any trees around. Just sand and a beautiful blue ocean with curling white waves. Red faces are so close to my face. I feel uncomfortable. It's a feeling. Yes, I definitely feel it.

- That's funny.

- We're funny to you?

My croissant, it's flying. Dropped. Why did they touch my food? Is that just the food or are they trying to intimidate me by pounding my table with their fists? They look even uglier now. I don't like them anymore. Why do people have a thing for others? This ocean is so deep.

- You should go, crazy girl. Now.

I need to go. Maybe run. I think it’s a better idea to run because they want to chase me. I can say it. They will not leave me alone. Maybe there is somebody who can help me. Nobody is around. They just got scared of this. Maybe of me. Or maybe of these guys. I need to run and do it faster than them. Can I? I know, I ran onto the ocean. They can't go there, but I can. And it is so blue, I need to touch it. The sand is everywhere. Why is it so hard to move fast on the sand? But I am faster than them. One step, two steps, jump forward. It's cold. So ticklish. The wave touched my feet. So soft. And kind, and I can feel it. This is the best thing that I learned about people—they can feel. I do not want to run anymore. Life on Earth is beautiful like there up. Maybe even better. Why do people not want to understand that everything around them is just perfect? It's blue, a deep blue color.

I fell on the sand. They caught me because I was dreaming for a while. I was trying to feel it deeply with all my insides. It hurts. But I don’t know what hurts more: the words or the punches to my head from these two ugly guys.

I feel it. I feel their anger—the anger of all of them. It's a dark ocean, almost black, not blue anymore. But I am still green. I feel the waves touching my body. It's cold. I am cold. But I like this croissant I tried and this blue color I saw. It's dark. I can see the stars—or maybe not. I am just dreaming. Cold. So cold.

March 23, 2024 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

10:59 Apr 01, 2024

I'd like to encourage you for your next story to set it up with some sort of proposition, spend the story grappling with it, then ending by having the characters solve the problem (or finally understand what it really is)/realize the solution/solve the quest/overcome their fear... etc. This is interesting, but without the structure of a plot, it languishes. A twist ending, like here, is good, but it's not a plot in its own right. You could, for example, have set up the story with the protagonist being sent to Earth despite their misgiving...

Reply

23:57 Apr 01, 2024

Good point! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
01:17 Apr 01, 2024

Poor thing coming to Earth and getting a less than warm welcome. Interesting points to think about.

Reply

23:58 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
07:24 Mar 28, 2024

The use of colour here almost as an emotional tool is so simple but so clever, lovely work

Reply

10:36 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:14 Mar 25, 2024

People are afraid of what they don't know or understand. You describe that so real that I was feeling what that green visitor felt. Unfortunately, you don't have to be green to experience that kind behaviour. Good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
01:20 Mar 25, 2024

The vivid sensory details and descriptions draw the reader into this world. The creativity and imagination in this narrative flow takes us on a journey into this world. We'll done!

Reply

01:32 Mar 25, 2024

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:16 Mar 23, 2024

Stranger in a strange world. Must destroy if don't understand it. Thanks for the follow.

Reply

23:36 Mar 23, 2024

True. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
11:22 Mar 23, 2024

Julia, this is incredible. I love how detailed this is. Great use of sensory imagery here. Great job !

Reply

15:09 Mar 23, 2024

Thank you so much for your review! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.