0 comments

General

The Unexpected Visitors 


“Hey can you pour me some more wine please” I asked. 

My husband grabbed my glass filled and handed it back to me taking the knife from hand. 

“Why don’t you sit and take a break I’ll finish up” he kissed me and swatted my butt as I passed. 

It was going to be just the two of us this Thanksgiving no family no friends. This was our first Thanksgiving without my dad, who passed this last January. 

We didn’t want a traditional turkey dinner we decided on filet mignon and some veggies. We would toast my dad with his favorite wine. 

“Babe the steaks are ready” my husband announced coming inside from the bbq. 

“Good so are the veggies” I replied half heartedly. 


“To Robert” my husband toasted when we sat down to eat. 

“To dad” I said in return trying to keep the tears at bay. My heart was breaking and I was having a hard time keeping it together. 

“Hey it’s ok” my husband said seeing my distress and squeezing my hand. 

I gave him a half smile it was all I could do. 

“I remember when I first met your dad. He was so welcoming. He shook my hand and was genuinely happy to meet me and welcome me into the family. That touched me so much.” My husband explained ending with tears in his eyes. 

“You know he made me feel more like family than my own mom and dad do” he continued. I agreed with him knowing his family history. 

“My first husband and all my previous boyfriends liked my dad and said the same thing “your dad is really cool but your mom is such a judge-mental bitch” I explained taking a bite of my steak. 

“This is really good!” I complimented but not really tasting. 

“Of course it is! Who do you think you talking to?” He replied back

“Haha” I laughed meaning it. The first true feeling of the evening. 


About a year ago my mom started to see my dad change. Forget this that and the other thing started getting worse. One day he gave her his keys and said he would no

Longer drive. I noticed the weight loss and difference in his behavior. 


“Ughhh!” I sigh out loud

“This is not what I want this night to be” I breathe to myself.

“Good memories” I insist silently. 

My mind quickly went to a memory of a couple years ago I found a fishing guide and commissioned him to take me and my dad fishing in the intracoastal. It was one of the best days with my dad. 

We caught quite a few red fish that day. So much we released most of them. Both my dad and I agreed they were to beautiful to keep. 

I shared this story with my husband as we ate our dinner.

He said he regretted not taking my dad fishing. I agreed with him it would have been a good time. 

My dad quite enjoyed boating and fishing so when I had my boat I took him as often as possible. 

We continued with our stories of my dad, some made us laugh others made us cry. There were moments of silence were we just relaxed with our thoughts for a few seconds. 

It was during one of these silent moments I thought I saw a shimmer in the chair my dad usually sat in when he came over. I quickly wiped my eyes thinking I still had tears in them but they were dry. 

I glanced back at the chair and there was nothing. 

Nick and I continued eating our dinner and the dining room light flickered but didn’t go out I quickly looked to my dads chair and saw the shimmering again this time more pronounced. 

“Um Nick look at the chair” I said not taking my eyes from the spot and pointing at the chair. 

“What?” He asked looking towards the chair

“What is that?” He asked noticing the shimmering too. 

I shook my head and looked at him shocked. 

“Oh my God!”Nick exclaimed, “It’s your dad!” He finished excitedly standing up abruptly. 

I quickly turned to see and sure enough there was my dad sitting in his chair with a goofy grin on his face

“I was beginning to wonder if I was gonna be able to pull this off” he said chuckling 

Nick and I looked at each other astonished then looked back at my dad who was looking at both of us smiling.

“You too look like you’ve seen a ghost!” He said looking at us curiously. 

I gulped and said “but Dad you are a ghost! What are you doing here? How did you get here?” Tentatively reaching for his hand but stopping short of touching him afraid it may be thin air. 

He laughed then said “You’re right I am a ghost I forgot. It feels good to be back. Hey how are you guys doing?” He asked looking at the dogs that surrounded with their heads tilted heading his voice. 

My dogs have always loved my dad and my dad has always loved my dogs. I saw him move his ghostly hand toward one their heads as he tried to pet them but his hand disappeared. 

He chuckled nervously “Well I guess I can’t do that” he said. 

My mouth moved but no words came out I was just so shocked to see him. Nick finally grabbed his chair pulled to back up to the table and sat down. He too was silent. 

The silence lasted for a few minutes but it seemed like hours. 

“Dad how are you here?” I finally asked when the shock started to were off a little and I could form intelligent words. 

Nick just nodded. 

“Well” he started “I just wanted to see you guys again. I missed you so much.” He paused becoming a little emotional. 

“I met up with this guy. He was actually helping me” he trailed off

“To ah transition, you know.” He paused looking at Nick and myself. 

“Anyways” he continued “he uhm mentioned coming back to visit.”

He stopped tried to pet another dog and then focused back on us. 

“It’s really good to see you dad!” Nick finally said breaking the silence spell. 

“We really miss you every day and we think of you every day.” Nick continued. 

“So what’s it like? You know” Nick asked tentatively. 

Dad chuckled “well it’s kind of weird not having a physical body.  It was strange and lonely and then Haley and Chase came bounding out of no where. It was really good to see them and that guy showed up. 

You’re mothers here go let her in” he said interrupting himself. 

I looked at him shocked

“He’s right” Nick said checking the cameras as he got up to go let her in. 

“Dad you invited her?” I asked him looking at him with a scowl on my face

“I just put the idea in her head. This crap about you and her not talking is unacceptable.” He explained. 

“But dad” I started

He interrupted me saying “Kim it doesn’t matter. Forgive her. She’s the only mother you’ll ever have”

“Is that why you’re here?” I asked but there was just air and space where he had been just a second ago. I looked around but didn’t see him anywhere. I heard the garage door open and in walked my mother followed by Nick. 

My mom carrying a bottle of wine, dads favorite, and bouquet of yellow roses. Nick took them from her and she hugged me saying she was sorry and that we needed to talk. 

Nick brought the open bottle of wine and an extra wine glass and the three of us sat down at the table. I glanced at my dads seat and it was empty. I was sad there was so much I still wanted to say. 

Nick leaned over and whispered in my ear “Where’s your dad?” I shrugged and focused on my mother. 

I heard my dads voice in my head saying “Leave the past in the past focus on today and move on. I love you honey”

I choked back the tears praying this won’t be the end of his visit and asked my mom “Can we get you something to eat?” 

She smiled and said “yes that would be nice”

Nick jumped up saying “I’ll get that for you. You and Kim catch up”

My mom and me started talking as if her betrayal and the last 6 months never happened. 

I was thankful for this day. For my dad coming to us and bringing my mom back into my life. 



  






November 29, 2019 22:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.