4 comments

Historical Fiction

The 1980's was a decade that changed America. From the many inventions like the computer and cell phone to the music, to the clothes and the many hair styles. The 1980's was truly a decade that changed us all. For me 1989, the last year of the 80's is the year that fascinated me.

1989 saw the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of Communism and the fall of dictators. It was a year marked with new beginnings for many and the end of the old ways for others. I saw 1989 as the year my family was freed and reunited after so many years.

I was lucky to be born in America. First generation born. My parents were born and raised in Germany, East Germany to be exact. I'm lucky to be born in a free country and have the freedoms I enjoy.

My family wasn't so lucky. They lived during the dark days of World War 2 and the Cold War. They watched as the wall was being built. My family lived during the harshest times. They lived in a place where freedom was nonexistent. Many of their friends tried escaping to the west. Some made it. Others did not.

I was born three years after the fall of the Berlin Wall. My parents made the tough decision of leaving Germany and immigrating to the United States. My parents once told me they came to this country so I can enjoy the freedoms they never had.

In the ensuing years the rest of my family came to the U.S. I always wanted to know more about my family's life in East Germany. My parents never told me because they didn't want to relive the past. So, I just read other people's accounts and watched videos about the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I also looked at photos and read old letters my parents wrote to each other. The photos of my parents are before the wall was built when they were just babies. There aren't that many pictures of my parents after the wall was built, only a few. The before pictures my parents and grandparents look happy. The after pictures paints a whole new story of sadness and despair.

I close my eyes and picture my parents as young kids enjoying themselves, going to the movies, eating at the local restaurants and going shopping. Then I have this ugly picture in my head of my parents losing everything they loved and held dear.

I can never imagine what my parents and the rest of my family went through. They struggled to survive. They struggled to put food on the table. They struggled to make a living. In the end my family did survive. My parents survived. No one gave up the struggle. I'm living proof.

My parents were there when the Berlin Wall fell. They were among the numerous people to cross one of the checkpoints into West Germany, to freedom. Their first taste of freedom. I want to experience what they experience.

I look at the picture of my parents on that fateful November 1st day in 1989. I'm transport to a time when change was coming. My surroundings are different. I'm no longer home. I'm in Germany. Where in Germany? There is a crowd of people up ahead. I walk to them. They are speaking German. My German is rusty. I only know a few German words.

I can't make out what they are saying. I look all around me, then I look up ahead. I see something I never thought I would see, the Berlin Wall. The wall has graffiti on it and no border guards. This can only mean one thing. I'm in West Germany.

The crowd is getting bigger. More and more people are coming. Some of the people are climbing on top of the wall.

The news people are here as well. It's getting really crowded. I can barely move. The people are screaming and yelling. I'm trying to make out what they are saying but I can't. I'm in West Germany in front of the wall. I know the date.

I's November 1st 1989. The day when the wall fell. The day when the East German people and the West German people reunited.

I move through the crowd hoping to get a better look. I can't see anything from where I am. I carefully move through the crowd. I have to be careful not to change anything. I can't risk changing history. I end up in front of one of the checkpoints.

I think this is the checkpoint where my parents walked through. How cool is this? I'm going to witness my parents first steps into freedom. Anna Sophia, you are witnessing history. I look over my shoulder. The crowd is massive. It looks like the whole of West Germany is here. Wow, this is unbelievable.

My parents are on the other side of the wall. I wonder what is going through their heads at this very moment. Are they excited or scared? I'm a mixture of both. I'm savoring this moment. The people want the wall to be torn down and for Germany to be one again.

I may not understand what the people are saying but I can see their emotions in their faces and feel it in their hearts. The people want the checkpoint to open. This scene is absolutely crazy. The top of the wall is filling up with people. I see people from the other side climbing the wall. Wow, just wow.

This scene is so unbelievable. Everyone around me is cheering. I join in. I can't help myself. History is being made and I'm in the middle of it. The young and the old are carrying flags, waving them.

Oh My God! the people on the wall are getting hosed down by the border guards. I see others chipping away at the wall. The people want the wall gone.

I don't even know the time. I think it's getting close to that time. I see something happening. I see the guards and the people. Yup, something is definitely happening. The guards are opening the gate.

Here it goes. The gate is opening. Here comes the first people walking through the checkpoint. Oh My God! look at them. They are smiling and waving at the people. More and more people are coming.

I search for my parents. I think I see them coming. Oh My! Yes, it's them. Look at my parents. They are holding hands, smiling and waving as the crowd welcomes them to freedom. My mom is so beautiful. I have tears in my eyes. I cheer for my parents.

The people are dancing and crying and hugging each other. I join in. This is such an amazing time, an amazing moment. One I won't ever forget. I close my eyes, dancing and cheering for my parents and for the newly freed people.

I open my eyes. I'm back home holding a picture of my parents on the day they walked for the first time into West Germany. What an amazing experience watching my parents make history, seeing their happy faces.

The moment when the gates opened was truly an amazing time to be in Germany, to see the East German people finally free and reunited with their family. I don't know how it happened. I'm glad it did.

February 06, 2024 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Eliza Levin
22:53 Feb 15, 2024

This is a beautiful story, and I love your descriptions--I can picture everything so clearly.

Reply

Melinda Madrigal
17:25 Feb 16, 2024

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
22:14 Feb 10, 2024

The was sweet depiction of an important part of human history. The finale was touching. Well written, Melinda. I really enjoyed this.

Reply

Melinda Madrigal
03:38 Feb 11, 2024

Thank you for your review

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.