0 comments

General

The last thing I can remember was the blade of my enemy piercing through my armor, striking deep into my chest; the pain was agonizingly unbearable, it lasted for what felt like many tormenting hours until the black cloud of death took over. 

When I awoke it was chaos every which way, I turned my head where I laid, things tearing at one another as the screech of madness can be heard from a far, it was so dark that even the white hue of the moon above did little to penetrate the ink black surroundings giving it a blue faded darkness. I can hear the cry of war from behind me as I stood unsteadily onto my feet, I turned to the sound that was getting closer, catch a glimpse of a goblin charging me with a sword oblivious to the fact that it is too big for the small creature not realizing that I too was a small creature . I watch as it dragged the weapon my way, inching closer raising the blade to strike, shifting slightly to the left without a second thought, I plunge my claw like nails into the flesh and tear out its heart; I hear a thud as the monster crashes to the ground, suddenly the air becomes full of dark purple dust, the imp disappears, and the weapon teleport into my palm. I move to search for the creature, the first real step was a shot of agony, a throbbing throughout my whole body, soon the vivacious pain was focused on one spot, my shoulder blades, I could feel the skin split open as these large, black, velvet raven like wings protruded out of my back, they’re heaviness at first was shocking, therefore weighting me down, once I get a feel for them, slowly stretching them to as far as they could, every inch the ache grew almost to a unbearable point, but ignoring it I move them until I was high in the murky sky.

Traveling as far as my wings would care me, which was to various dwellings, where countless of times I ran across unscrupulous types of creatures creating the long voyage a very tiresome ordeal, I had to fight whenever I was approached because many of the vile untrustworthy beast that roamed this land either tried to kill me or plot against me to destroy me to take my things I quickly learned to never trust anyone.

For decades I was fighting, flying, and scavenging to protect myself to stay alive, I’ve became known far and wide for my strength, despite my powers however that meant nothing to me glory, power, titles fame wasn’t my goal, I just wanted to keep moving following the currents of the sky it moved me, motivated me.

One day while I was flying in the swamps of the far east, I came across a burgundy door in the mist of the most dangerous hell plants known to the Underworld, the building itself was covered none of the structure could be seen through the vines to the point that the door and windows were obscured. The lawn covered with deadly blooms and a path of lava thorn rose bushes leading to the crimson door. I float down towards the back to avoid the thorns, if wild they will attack at a certain distance. Suddenly they were set off one after another start to target me, I dodge as many as I could until one finally strikes me in my stomach.

When I stirred awake, I was in the middle of a room that was cramped and covered in human trinkets books and papers in all shades were scattered everywhere. I rise to my elbows the small amount of pain shot through me going along with the stiffness in my body from the small movement. I stop at the sight of an old creature, it’s skin grey and sagged off its bone, the things features were that of a mans with long white blue hair, the eyes were milky white, glazed over as if he was blind. His statue was once every tall that was clear from the hunch, he had formed to the point his torso was almost complete horizontal to the floor. The robe the monster of a man wore was brown and he was practically swimming it as he moved from table to table the cloak dragged on the floor. There were also scrolls and papers sticking out every which way of any and all pockets. I sit up completely, keeping the demon in my eyes line of sight. He turns at the movement I created. I studied the monster as he moved painfully slow in my direction, ‘Weak.’ I settled on as I get off the table, he stopped in his tracks.

   “I am stronger than you think boy!” He spoke his voice gritty and dry as if he hasn’t use it in a very long time. However, it was even toned and the forced behind it left chills down my spine. I open my mouth to speak but it felt as if I ate sawdust. “Drink!” He grumbles thrusting a black cup filled with purple liquid. When I hesitated, he sent a glared my way that terrified me to my bone. I chug the content in one gulp the mixer was bitter, and I start to go into a coughing fit.

“What is it you call yourself?” I ask once my mini death was over.

“N’eteri” He started to shift back to the table he was at before.

“My name is....” I hesitate not only because it has been so long since I stated my name, but the monster had put up his hand,

“No need I know who you are, what are you doing here?” I shrug shifting to a table next to me on my left it was covered with maps and scribes of all different languages.

“Are these maps of the Underworld?” Not answering his question.

“Yes, so is that why you were snooping around my house.” I shake my head,

“No, I was following the wind.” I mutter looking at the other maps on the wall. The terrifying monster rumbles as it laughs or what I assume is laughter it came out more as gurgling water.

“What wind?” He asked arching a brow. I sigh turning to the beast.

“You know the breeze, the movement in the air.” I wave my hand above my head to intimidate wind current.

“The Underworld has no breeze.” He says in a matter of fact tone.

“I was following the wind.” I state once again this time emotionless. The behemoth froze stretching it’s back to stand up straight a good ten feet in the air the skin stretching against the bone to be but back in place.

“Liar!” He screeches. I huff anger rise in me I could feel it as I stood straighter, I was many things but never a liar.

“I am not!” I know I was nothing compare to the beast, but I would never allow lies about myself such as that. “Since day one of waking into the shit show you call the Underworld, I have allowed the wind to carry me to wherever, it has saved me when in fights and leads me to where I am meant to be. It is what lead me to your red door!” My wings care me off the floor, a slight twinge of pain made itself known in the middle of me chest, but I ignored it.

“Are you sure about that boy.” He questions. I nod staring into the milky white orbs. He begins to shrink back to his original form, the sight of his skin sagging back off his bones was the most sickening sight I’ve ever seen, then there were the squishing and sloshing sounds making it even more disgusting. Once he was once again back to his hunched form, he begins to shift to tables and shelves. “Here, study and come back once you are ready.” I open my mouth to ask a question but instead of words I get a face full of blue dust. My body falls back landing on a chair. He continues to speak but the words escape me to this day. I remember the door closed behind me after he toss me off his chair and on his front doorstep. I did not wait for my whole body to regain straight just until my wings could carry me away. I was still in the air when I could move my whole body the terrifying sensation almost had me fall out of the sky. I was able to regain it within seconds of meeting the ground. I flew to a cliff and stayed there for years decoding the contents when I learned what it was, I flew for months possible years to go where the end was, and I made it, back to earth.

While I was roaming the new era, I had met the sweetest little human in the mid of the French revolution, she was a 10-year-old girl with a terrible up bring. She was cursed with the sight; she could see and hear ghost, they haunted her. Understanding what the ancient monster meant I flew back to the Underworld and straight to N’eteri. He taught me all I needed to know in ten short Underworld years which equaled to one human year.

When I left the first time, I had made a necklace that she could hide under her clothes to protect her from spirits to be invisible to them. With magic I infused the stone, so she was safe. I returned after the one human year and I taught her what I learned I stayed to protect her and was her shield. I had found my destiny the meaning to my new life. I had scared her at first but N’eteri had taught me how to use glamour to change my appearance, so I was able to blend with the crowd becoming something of a big brother to the girl. Years passed, we were happy, one day she came home brighter than the sun telling me about a man she met, that she fell in love with an Irish man, shortly after their marriage she gave birth to a little girl, they had lived happily among the countryside of France until one day her husband was killed, so I had suggested to move to England. She agreed and we had moved. Years later she would meet her fate to curse her family blood for years to come.

I had lost my little sister, but her daughter was still alive, and I swore to her mother to protect her. She was an adult when he called for me, my one friend Grendel, I had given him a trinket to contact me if he needed me. In my 35 human years on earth he had never called before then. The Underworld was in complete destruction after angels coming down ordering demons around started war among the demons. I leave my seer with her permission and extra protection along with demon blood if she ever needed the extra strength. I had checked in as much as possible until the war took hold of everything.

A million years of chaos had pass; I had become became part of the newly form council along with becoming an advocate for the demons to handle the angels. They had tried to command us treating us as if we were mere puppets, I had been the one to use anything means necessary to make them understand we are not their slaves. That had made them weary of my presents therefore I was needed whenever they came down for their notorious pain in my ass meetings.

I had been gone so long. “This is why I said I can’t do this schedule shit you have set. You have taken too much of my time day in and day out and look what happened!” I shout I slammed my fist on the meeting table I was at the head looking around, the monsters chosen by their people to be their voice along with the glowing pamper angels sitting across from me jump from the cracking noise of the wood. My fist created a giant hole in the mold, these last few years they have agreed that I could travel back and forth to do what I wish since I have been gone from earth for over two hundred year, however that is not what has been happening, I would go to earth for a week sometimes as little as a few hours. They would call me back demanding for my presents, the angels did what Grendel predicted and started to be ruling dicks and commanded the creatures of the Underworld. So, I had to keep coming back.

“Calm down my friend, so what, a woman overdoses on pills, it’s not uncommon in that realm it’s the 90’s.” Grendel shrugged.

“You don’t understand she had a daughter, that women,” I stress the word, “was an important person.”

“She was a drug user and doesn’t hold any specific meaning to the world. Thus, being unimportant so we shall continue on this trivial...” This time the table is in half when I slammed my opened fist on the table everyone around it stood.   

“YOU HAVE NO VOICE HERE!” I glare at the Machiavellian; he might have stood motionless, but his eyes screamed fear I could smell it in the air they were all scared. My voice was not loud however it rang along the walls, I might as well have shouted.

“My lord there is no need to act in this matter.” The vampire cooed at me.

“Shut up.” I hiss. “You leave.” I glare at the angel.

“We just need more of your time.” I step on the table pieces all the creatures moved out of the way as I march over to the glowing blond hair, milk skin, flushed checks white wing piece of shit.

“I said leave, you are filth and have no heart, so get the fuck out of my face and out of this realm, you have thing so trivial then you deal with it we are not your people this is not your home and I am not your slave. All humans have importance's didn’t your father teach you that.” I move closer to the two-face creature. His eyes paled, I could see my red pupils in them as they glow with anger, I could hear him sucked in air. Satisfied I leave the room,

“Clean up and get a new table.” I bark my orders to the guards outside the meeting room. They disappeared in seconds I move towards my quarters and look in the portal she was finally with her grandmother that much I could do while being here. The things the angels wanted to be done by us were strange and seemed of little importance's. The reason for our council was not for them to call, we ensure piece in the Underworld and make sure everyone follows the laws however, not too many of the more insane creatures are compelling to those laws. Yet they believe we will do whatever they say because of some old deal made between God and Lucifer. Those two haven’t been seen in ages way before wars were even thought of. Since then the angels became very cold and greedy though they don’t see it.

“Can’t you settle down you have two months left and you will no longer have to return.” Grendel says sinking into a chair with a groan. He had followed me with none stop chatter. Even as I checked on her, he wouldn’t shut up, giving me a headache. I sigh.

“Every time those glowing ass chicken shits show up, I end get a scorching headache.” I rub my temple; with my left hand I remove the picture from my ravens' eye. Grendel laughs with rumble.

“Si. That’s why I drink!” I shake my head as he takes out his flask, I brought back for him and he fills it with a mixer he made himself from plants he grows in his backyard.

“I do not like the feeling.” I mutter and take a seat next to him. He is right these chairs are comfortable, made year 1603 in Argentina. I sigh, “I can’t wait two more months, but I will out of respect for you my friend.” He smiles and takes another swig after tipping it in my direction.

Two Months later

“Get another table!” Alac’vi shouted that was the third table with twelve angels my head is pounding, and my patience has been gone for many hours now. This time I tossed the table at the wall, the angels have been doing everything they can to try and stop me from leaving. I gave them my due and it is time for me to leave.

“I am leaving now.” I growl very low my horns have come out and my claws grown to their full length I have fully given up on trying to be nice. “Get out of my way.” I head to the door the angels were blocking. This time they wavered but just slightly. I nether slow down nor faulter in my stride. They did not move when I reach the door so did not stop instead, I reach and toss the two closest angels across the room as the doors open, it was for the lower demons to bring in the new table however they saw me and move out the way. I could hear Grendel laughing, I shake my head at the insane man.

“I told you it was too bright in here.” My old friend said.

September 05, 2019 11:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.