0 comments

Contemporary Drama

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Partner Abuse; Sexual Harassment 

“So, what’s the catch?”, asked Issy, sitting across the dark oak table from the suited man slated to be her new boss. 

“No catch,” said Mr. Wantor, “We’re just looking for someone with a commitment to the firm and a willingness to learn.” A toothy smile stretched across his face and the creases in his bald head grew deeper. “And, of course, discretion. Due to the high profile nature of our clients, you would be required to sign an NDA and protect the identities and sensitive information of our clients under lock and key. That won’t be a problem, will it?” asked Mr. Wantor. 

“No, not at all,” assured Issy quickly as she pushed her blonde curls behind her left ear nervously. “I’m not even sure who I would share it with. I’m fairly new in town and I don’t really know anyone or anything about the would-be clients.” 

“Even better,” said Mr. Wantor. “Everyone here has been in town for a long time and can help you get to know the area better.” 

Issy smiled, feigning confidence. “I never imagined it would be this easy,” Issy thought to herself. 

“Can you start next week?,” asked Mr. Wantor. 

“Yes, absolutely!”, Issy said excitedly. 

“Great, we’ll get your information over to HR and get you started on Monday at 8am. On that first day, you can meet with each of the members of the firm to get to know everyone, learn about the work we do here, and how you can support them.” Mr. Wantor reached his giant hand across the table. Issy reached back across and shook his hand with two quick ups and downs. 

“Thank you so much! I can’t wait to get started!” Issy smiled. 

“Welcome aboard!” smiled Mr. Wantor. 

Issy couldn’t control her smile as she made her way out to her 15 year-old Trailblazer with a broken headlight. “Full time at $60 per hour…” Issy thought to herself. “Maybe I can even afford a car that doesn’t look so out of place in this parking lot.” She looked back at the huge colonial brick building that housed the firm. She shook her head in disbelief as she pulled out of the parking lot. 

Issy turned off her alarm clock and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, tired from tossing and turning all night, but excited to start the next step in breaking from Scotty. Stepping out of the shower, she eyed the scars on her arm from the week before she finally left. Issy fingered the scars, remembering how bad it had to get before she finally decided to leave. “But now,” she thought to herself, “I’m making my own money and I don’t have to rely on anyone else.” Issy ran controlling gel through her hair to tame her wild curls, pulled on the only blazer in her closet, grabbed her faux leather bag, and stepped out of her street-level studio apartment - the only place she could afford in the area. Issy stopped at the coffee shop around the corner from the firm, knowing that holding the cup from the expensive shop would help her fit in as she met each of the people she would be working with. 

Issy walked through the main entrance of the firm, realizing that the “W” in the “FBWS Law” sign next to the door probably stood for Wantor. She pulled back her shoulders, lifted her gaze, and feigned confidence again as she spotted Mr. Wantor walking toward her. 

“Welcome!” he billowed down the hall, smiling and extending his hand for a handshake. “Let me show you to your desk and you can get settled before I show you around.”

“Great! I’m eager to meet everyone!” Issy said as she followed Mr. Wantor to the desk in the lobby. 

“This will be your desk, and this whole area will be your little kingdom.” said Mr. Wantor gesturing to the area around the lobby. “We’ll get you set up with your technology and make sure you’re trained on everything by the end of the week.” 

“Oh, wow, that’s quick! I hope I can keep up!” said Issy laughing. 

“”I’m sure you’ll do great.” said Mr. Wantor, placing his hand on Issy’s shoulder. “You seem to be a quick learner and you’re eager to please.” He smiled, allowing his hand to linger a little longer than was comfortable. Issy let her smile falter a bit, but quickly regained composure when she noticed Mr. Wantor’s face change. 

“I sure hope so!” said Issy. “Could you show me where the restrooms are?” 

“Sure! Right down the hall and to the left.” Mr. Wantor pointed down the hall. “Take your time, and I’ll let everyone know you’re here.” 

“Thanks!” said Issy as she made her way down the hall. She closed and locked the single restroom door, leaning against the door, and took a deep breath. “Calm down,” Issy told herself. “Not everyone is out to hurt you.” Ever since the first time Scotty hit her, Issy was on high alert every time a man even looked like he would touch her. “He’s just a friendly guy in a small town. People do things differently in places like this,” she assured herself as she ran cold water over her hands to regain composure. “Don’t make a big deal of things. Keep your head down and do good work.” Issy looked at herself in the mirror. “You need this job.” she said. “Don’t screw this up.” She straightened her back,faked her best smile, and tousled her hair back into place before leaving the bathroom and making her way back to her desk in the lobby. 

“And here’s the conference room. This is where we meet once a week as a team, and where we hold big client meetings.” Mr. Wantor explained. 

Issy nodded her head in understanding as she followed Mr. Wantor into the room. Inside, she scanned her new colleagues to find eight other men. 

“Here’s the team!” said Mr. Wantor. “Everyone, this is Issy, our new Executive Assistant. She’ll be meeting with each of you today to learn about the great work you all do!”

Issy took a seat and began her first task as Executive Assistant - taking notes on the weekly team meeting. 

As she scanned the room again, she noticed that the eyes that were all focused on her just a few moments ago were now fixed on the screen at the front of the room as Mr. Wantor shared about client bases for the quarter. 

The meeting came to an end. As she finished up her notes, John Fischer (the “F” in FBWS) sauntered up to Issy. 

“So good to have you on the team,” said Fischer. “If you give me five minutes, we can meet in my office to chat about the work I do here at the firm. I’m the third door on the left. I’ll be right in.” 

Issy found her way to Fischer’s office, still shaking off Mr. Wantor’s hand earlier that morning. “Everyone else seems okay,” she thought, “maybe I just read too much into it.” 

Issy made herself comfortable in the cushioned chair across from Fischer’s desk. Moments later, Fischer came bouncing into his office. “Sorry about that. Let me just send this email real quick and then I’ll be ready.” Fischer said, falling back into his desk chair. 

“No problem!” Issy said cheerfully, trying to make herself look busy as she fiddled with her notebook. “Take your time!” 

“Alright,” Fischer let out an exasperated sigh. “So, how did we get so lucky as to have you join the team?” 

“Well,” Issy started, “I’m new to the area and I was just looking for work that was interesting. I interviewed with Mr. Wantor and he said he was looking for someone to work hard and handle sensitive information. I can do that,” Issy smiled, “so here we are!”

Fischer seemed to look deeply at Issy as his eyes focused in. He took a deep breath and said, “Well, we’re glad to have you. Just don’t let Mr. Wantor work you too hard.” He gave Issy a knowing sideways look and continued to share about his clients and the work he does for the firm. 

Armed with more information on the firm, and feeling more prepared to dive into work, Issy made her way back to her desk. Still, after all that time, she still found her mind wandering back to Mr. Wanto’s hand on her shoulder and Fischer’s knowing look. 

About two weeks into her time at the firm, Issy was feeling more confident in her work. In just two week’s time. She had already saved up enough money to upgrade some of her wardrobe to fit the firm. 

“Issy, Issy!” Mr. Wantor bounded into the lobby. “How are you today?”

“Good morning, Mr. Wantor. I’m great! How are you?”

“Doing just fine!” Mr. Wantor smiled. “Hey, I know it's late notice, but I’m going to need you to stay a little late tonight. I have a client meeting and I need you to stick around to gather information and take notes.” 

“Okay, how long should I plan to stay?” asked Issy. 

“Probably about an hour or two. Its an important client, so I want to make sure we have enough time. But don’t worry,” said Mr. Wantor, “I’ll make it worth your while and get you some overtime pay. How’s $80 an hour sound?” 

“Sounds good!” said Issy. “No problem, Mr. Wantor. Happy to help!” 

“I knew I could count on you,” said Mr. Wantor. He paused and looked at Issy for a moment, stopping to wink at her before turning to return to his office. 

The familiar uncomfortable feeling settled in Issy’s chest as Mr. Wantor left the lobby. “Snap out of it,” Issy said to herself. “You’re safe, he’s just an overly friendly guy. It’ll be fine.” 

Later that day, one by one the other members of the firm left for the day. Issy found herself surprised that no one else was staying late for the meeting. 

“Mr. Wantor,” Issy started. “How many chairs should I set up in the conference room for the client meeting this afternoon?”

“Oh, just three,” said Mr. Wantor. “Just me, you, and the client.” 

“Oh, okay. I just expected more because you said it was an important meeting.” Issy explained. 

“It’s definitely an important meeting,” said Mr. Wantor, “but I can handle it on my own. Mr. Wantor laughed, winked at Issy again, and  left the lobby. 

Issy sat behind her desk, dreading the end of the work day. Her heart dropped to her stomach as she watched Fischer leave through the main doors, knowing that she was officially alone with Mr. Wantor. 

The phone rang and pulled Issy from her thoughts. “FBWS Law, how can I help you?” Issy answered. 

“Issy, it’s Wantor. Can you step back into my office? The client should be here anytime and I want to do some prep with you first.” 

“Sure, Mr. Wantor, I’ll head back now.” said Issy as she gathered her things. She slid her laptop, notebook, and coffee cup into her bag planning for a quick exit after the client meeting.

Issy stepped back into Mr. Wantor’s office, taking a seat across from him at the desk, hoping the client would arrive soon. 

“Alright, Is,” Issy flinched slightly. Scotty always called her Is when he was trying to be sweet. “Here’s all the client information and paperwork I’ll need you to take care of. 

Issy took her wallet and coffee cup from her bag to make room for the client paperwork and grabbed her notebook. 

“We’ll need to get started on these right away before doing any real work on the case.” said Mr. Wantor. 

“No problem,” said Issy. “I can work on this tonight while you’re meeting with the client.”

“No, I got a call just before you came in. The client canceled and needs to meet tomorrow instead.” explained Mr. Wantor, as he reached for the bottle of scotch hidden in his desk drawer. “Care for any?”

“No, thanks,” said Issy sheepishly. “I think I’ll go ahead and head home since there’s no client meeting.” 

“Well, I already processed your overtime pay,” said Mr. Wantor, “so maybe you could get started on that paperwork. Or…” he paused and looked into Issy’s eyes, “you could just stay and keep me company.” Mr. Wantor winked and poured himself a glass of scotch. 

“I’d really feel more comfortable…” Isst trailed off as she slid the paperwork and her notebook back into her bag. 

“Suit yourself,” said Mr. Wantor as he sipped his scotch and stared at Issy over the rim of the glass. 

Issy rushed out of Mr. Wantor’s office and toward the main doors at the front of the firm. Issy dug her hand into her bag, grabbed her keys, and continued searching for her wallet. She went back to her desk to look for the misplaced wallet, dread setting in as she realized that she left it on Mr. Wantor’s desk when she left in haste. 

Issy took a deep breath, knowing she didn’t have a choice - her apartment key card was in that wallet. She couldn’t go home without it. She approached Mr. Wantor’s office door and heard muffled movement. Wanting to escape as quickly as possible, she continued toward the door. From the other side of the cracked door, Issy could hear heavy, labored, rhythmic breathing. Shock rang through Issy’s body, but she had no choice but to continue on. For a split second, she ran through the options of where she could stay for the night. She’d only been in town a few weeks and hadn’t made any friends yet, spending most of her time at work. Any money she had to book a room for the night was sitting on the desk on the other side of the door. 

Issy knocked quietly on the door. “Mr. Wantor,” she started hesitantly. 

“Ah, Issy,” Mr. Wantor stood quickly, fiddling with his shirttail as Issy pushed the door open slightly. “Change your mind?”

“No, Mr. Wantor, I just forgot my wallet.” 

“Sure,” huffed Mr. Wantor, holding Issy’s gaze. 

Issy turned quickly to leave. As she crossed the office threshold, Mr. Wantor grabbed Issy’s arm, Wantor’s touch burning the scars on her arm where she tore away from Scotty’s hold months ago. Issy stopped cold in her tracks. 

“You better keep this to yourself. Remember that discretion we discussed in your interview?” asked Mr. Wantor. “I trust that you are a woman of your word.”

Issy stood silently, staring at Mr. Wantor, and nodded once. 

“Good.” Mr. Wantor smiled silently as he loosened his grip on Issy’s arm. With hollow eyes, Mr. Wantor smiled wider and said, “See you tomorrow, Is.” 

Issy left the office and nearly sprinted to her car. 

The next morning, Issy purposely left for work later than she needed to be on time. “I might get in trouble for being late,” she thought as she started her car, “but at least I won’t have to be alone with him again.” 

Issy walked into the building 15 minutes late. “Sorry I’m late, my alarm didn’t go off this morning,” she said to Mr. Wantor and Fischer, who were conversing in the hallway. 

“Just don’t make a habit of it,” said Mr. Wantor curtly, looking right through Issy. 

Later that day, Issy made her way toward the bathroom, passing by Fischer;s open office door. On her way back to her desk, she lightly knocked on Fischer’s door. 

“Come on in!” Fischer said loudly. Issy pushed the door open. 

“Sorry to bother you, Mr. Fischer…” Issy trailed off. 

“Oh, hey, Issy! No bother at all!” said Fischer. “What’s up?”

“Just a quick question,” Issy started as Fischer turned his full attention to Issy. “I was just wondering…” Issy started. “Remember on my first day when you told me not to let Mr. Wantor work me too hard?” Fischer nodded. “What did you mean by that?” asked Issy. 

Fischer’s eyes narrowed. “I just meant that you should take care of yourself. I’m sure you’ve noticed that you’re the only woman that works here…” said Fischer. “Mr. Wantor has a reputation. I'm not sure if any of it is true, but he brings in the highest profile clients. That means he brings in the most money for the firm. You know how it is.” 

“Yeah, I get it,” said Issy with her gaze lowered and hands in her lap. “Thanks, Mr. Fischer.” 

Issy stood to leave Fischer’s office. As she grabbed the door handle, Fischer interrupted, “You okay, Issy?” 

“Yep,” Issy said reassuring Fischer. “All good.” Issy smiled. “Thanks again!” 

— 

ONE WEEK LATER 

Mr. Wantor sat across from a short blonde woman with glasses. “We’re looking for someone with a commitment to the firm, and a willingness to learn.” 

“I can do that!” the woman said eagerly as she adjusted her glasses. 

“Great!” said Mr. Wantor. “Can you start next week?” he asked as he reached across the table to shake the woman’s hand.

March 11, 2023 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.