Caught in the Net

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The doors swung open in front of her as if to reel her in. There was no turning back now. Weddings weren’t really Mabel’s cup of tea, but her father had pleaded with her to come as his plus-one, and it had cost them an arm and a leg to be able to look the part. It was not an ordinary wedding. It was rather a grand one. As she stepped into the palace and click-clacked her way to the ballroom – she wasn’t quite used to wearing high heels – the sounds of soft jazz, clinking glasses and chatter filled her ears. The air felt warm and heavily smelt of jasmine.


Mabel felt like a fish out of water. None of the guests looked familiar to her. Her sudden presence instilled curiosity, especially in the women, who for a split-second surveyed her from head to toe. Were those countless hours in front of the mirror worthwhile? She even lost a couple of pounds just for this one dazzling night under the stars. At that point Mabel noticed the sparkling gems that dangled from the women’s ears. She could never be like them. The earrings she was wearing were a gift from her grandmother for her Holy Communion. It was the only pair of somewhat expensive jewelry that she had ever owned. She turned her head towards her father hoping he could read her eyes. He blinked at her and smiled to cheer her on.


Three waiters in monochrome outfits stood smiling in front of them. She clasped a glass of fizzling champagne and popped a canapé in her mouth. It was a burst of delicate flavors as she felt the soft cheese melt on her tongue. Utterly delicious yet felt quite alien.


“Luisss, hey man, so glad you could make it!”

Mabel craned her neck to spot a skinny tanned man with wavy hair approaching her father with his arms extended—which he accepted graciously.

“Wouldn’t miss it, Rob. How’s the beautiful bride then?”

“Still not here. You know Eliza, she’s probably still taking photos.”

“She has grown so much, hasn’t she?”

“Feels like yesterday she was still learning to walk.”

Luis gave Mabel a look and said, “Now don’t grow up too fast on me, Mabes.”

Mabel forced a smile and started rolling her curls with her finger. She hated being put on the spot. She preferred being a silent observer. Her mouth suddenly ran dry.


“Dad, I’m gonna fetch me a drink. Anyone up for one?”

“Not yet. You go on ahead.”


Mabel nodded. The stand with the drinks was not hard to find. So many people were crowding around it like ravenous pigeons. As she made her way out of the crowd, a young boy in a tuxedo dashed toward her and pushed her. It all came too fast. Her eyes bulged out of their sockets as she lost control of her drink and watched it spill on another woman’s dress. Her heart felt like pouncing out of her chest and she began feeling dizzy. Mabel clambered back on her feet to face the woman.


“I’m so so so sorry…”


Her words were cut short as she stared at the face of the poor woman whose dress she had ruined. She realized that the woman was doing the same thing. They stared at each other in both horror and awe. It was like looking at a mirror. The same question was running around their heads.


“Y-y-you…,” Mabel tried to find her words, “Why do you look like me?”


The woman didn’t reply. She seemed too flustered to speak, but her eyes, the same blue color as Mabel’s, betrayed her. Their hair had the same red curls. Their skin shared the same white hue.


“Who are you?” the woman said finally.

“Mabel… Mabel Martinez. You?”

“Cordelia Swan.”

“I… I should help you with your dress…”

“Yes, I believe you should,” she turned her head from side to side, checking her surroundings, “Come with me.”


Mabel followed her doppelganger to the restrooms. Cordelia was clearly keeping her head down to avoid raising suspicion.


“So,” Cordelia began as she tried to wash off the stain from her dress, “This clearly won’t do. Stains are called stains for a reason after all. Just like this dress, we can’t go back to how we were living before. So, Mabel, tell me about yourself.”

Mabel gawked at her like a stunned fish. How was she talking so calmly?

“Erm… I’m twenty-two and I live with my father, Luis Martinez. My mother passed away when I was a baby…”

“Or so you were led to believe…” Cordelia turned off the faucet and inched closer to her.

“I’m twenty-two, too. I suppose your birthday is on the 3rd of January, right?”

“How do you know?”

“Because I was born on that day too. Judging from how we both look alike, my best guess would be that you’re my twin.”

“How… How are you so cool about this?”


Cordelia shot Mabel a withering look, causing her to instinctively take a step back.


“Cool? You think I’m cool about this?” She raised her arms in exasperation. “I am infuriated right now! Turns out my mum’s big secret was YOU. What an unexpected turn of events!”


Mabel stared at her now-twin sister. Although they looked exactly alike, Cordelia looked much more frightening. Her blue eyes looked as dangerous as two shards of ice. Her voice sounded exactly like hers, but it came out with such an arrogant demeanor that it did not sound like Mabel’s at all.


“What… What should we do about this?”

“The least you could do after staining my dress is lending me yours. Don’t worry, you’ll wear mine. Just for tonight. We’ll switch back before the wedding ends.”

“But my dad… He will find it strange if I suddenly change dresses.”

“Not if I pose as you. You will act as me.”

“What?”

“Is asking questions all you know how to do?” Cordelia snapped.


***


Mabel found herself standing next to the cheese counter, surveying the room. She was no longer wearing her girly sage-green poofy dress. Her body was now covered by a sparkly black dress that accentuated her curves and scraped the floor behind her. Her back laid bare for all to see, which was something she had never done before, and never planned to do. Sparkling rubies now dangled from her ears and her hair was pulled up in a quite elaborate bun which her twin had so expertly styled. She had no idea how Cordelia managed to pull that off under ten minutes. Mabel felt awkward, like a fish waiting to get caught in some fisherman’s net. How was she going to keep this up until the end of the wedding? What if someone recognized her? Her sister had already reassured her that people seldom approached her, and if they did, all she had to do was nod and keep on a straight face. Even so, she could feel the weight of curious eyes lingering on her, their stares cold and unsettling. Oh, how she longed to curl up with a hot chocolate in the softness of her bed, and to feel the warmth radiating from her cat and dog as they huddle against her, all the while listening to the comforting sounds of her father cooking dinner downstairs...


Lost in her thoughts, Mabel almost missed the sight of Cordelia re-entering the ballroom. Her stomach lurched as she saw her sister searching for her father. She felt so lightheaded, like she was sinking into the depths of the sea, unable to withstand the pressure as she was being pulled further and further in. How did she get herself tangled into this mess? A long-lost sibling? What was her father hiding from her? Was her mother truly alive? What was she like? Cordelia had not wanted to elaborate on her mother. Mabel assumed that her mother was not as warm as her father. After all, she had even sent Cordelia to this wedding in her place.



Cordelia found Luis easily. He was still talking to Robert Donovan, the bride’s father. She crept up to him and smiled.


“There you are, Mabes. What kept you?”

“There was a long line…”


Luis eyed her suspiciously for a few seconds but immediately returned to his usual smiling face.


“Mabes, can you help me with something? I’m dying for some fresh air.”


Cordelia nodded. She made sure to play with her curls to look the part. Luis held her from her waist and walked her outside to the terrace. It was much quieter there, with no one to disturb them. Luis faced the end of the terrace, gazing at the rural views, while Cordelia stayed behind him, studying his every move.


“I know you are not Mabel.”


Cordelia froze and waited for the man to continue.


“You thought I wouldn’t recognize my own daughters?”


He sighed, let his head drop, and chuckled.


“You are as manipulative as your mother, Cordelia.”


Luis turned round to face her. His stern face melted into a smile.


“I’m glad I finally got to meet you.”


His eyes became downcast, and the corners of his lips drooped as his knuckles clenched to his sides.


“I am sorry you had to find out this way. But we have to leave now. Before it’s too late.”


As Luis was about to leave the terrace, Cordelia grabbed his wrist, hard, as her face contorted to anger.


“Wait,” she said as nonchalantly as she could muster, “I need you to confirm something for me.” She knew that her mother would never give her the satisfaction of an answer. So she pulled him closer until her lips almost brushed his ear and whispered, “Is my mother... A government spy?”


Luis’s body turned rigid. She could feel him shaking. He managed to gather his strength and turn his head to face her. With his eyes held tightly shut, he nodded. At that moment, she felt as if a dagger stabbed her in the back. Cordelia’s hand eased its grip on him and her eyes stared blankly at the view before them. All she could see were her memories shattering like glass around her.


Luis finally found the courage to open his eyes. Looking down at his feet, he muttered, “I only found out after she gave birth to you. And she wasn’t the one who had told me.” He grabbed her shoulder, still shaking all over, and continued, “She has many enemies. And you twins... are their main target.”


Now Cordelia was the one who was shaking. Her fingers quivered as she attempted to pull away from his grip, but it tightened unexpectedly. In a sudden realization, Luis seized his daughter's hand and rushed back into the ballroom. Luis’s face had turned ashen, his eyes darting nervously around the room. A palpable tension radiated from him. He clenched his fists at his sides, his knuckles white, as he scanned the crowd with a look of mounting dread.


“Where’s Mabel?”

August 21, 2024 09:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

George Wallace
08:02 Aug 29, 2024

Good story with a great twist. It leaves you not knowing the outcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.