The Price of Success

Submitted into Contest #181 in response to: Write about someone who realizes they're on the wrong path. ... view prompt

3 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Urban Fantasy

The Price of Success

Act 1:

John was a young man with a dream of making a difference in the world. Growing up in a low-income neighborhood, he had seen firsthand the struggles that people faced when it came to finding affordable, safe housing. He was determined to change that. He was convinced that his ideas for sustainable housing would change the lives of people in need. His passion for architecture and design was palpable as he poured all of his energy into his plans and designs. He spent countless hours researching and developing innovative solutions for affordable, eco-friendly housing. He wanted nothing more than to make a real impact and improve the lives of those in need, not just in his community but around the world.

John's passion for sustainable housing was not just limited to the physical structure of the homes, but also the community they would create. He envisioned neighborhoods where residents could live in harmony with the environment and with each other, where they would have access to the resources and support they needed to thrive. He believed that by providing people with safe, affordable housing, he could help break the cycle of poverty and give people the opportunity to build better lives for themselves and their families.

But as John progressed, he began to realize that his plans required significant funding to become a reality. Despite his best efforts, he was unable to secure the necessary funding from investors or grants. He tried everything, from applying to multiple grants to reaching out to wealthy individuals, but nothing seemed to work. He saw that the lack of funds was the only thing standing between him and his goal, and it hit him like a brick wall.

John became increasingly desperate as he watched his dreams slipping away. He felt like he was at a crossroads and didn't know where to turn. He started to consider taking on a job in the corporate world, believing that it would give him the financial resources he needed to achieve his goal. But taking this step would mean sacrificing his passion and ideals. It would mean selling a part of himself.

John struggled with this decision, knowing that it could mean giving up on his dream. He didn't want to be just another corporate drone, he wanted to make a real difference. But he also knew that without funding, his plans would never come to fruition. He weighed the pros and cons, and finally, he made the difficult decision to take a job in the corporate world.                                               and cons, and finally, he made the difficult decision to take a job in the corporate world.

Act 2:

John quickly climbed the ranks in the corporate world, proving himself to be a top performer. He started from an open-entry sales job, going door-to-door, but within months, he had already been promoted to a sales representative. He worked hard, putting in long hours and going above and beyond for his clients. His hard work paid off and he was soon promoted to sales manager, and then a district sales manager. He was determined to succeed, and he was willing to do whatever it took to achieve his goals.

But as the years went by, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing. He felt like he had lost sight of what was truly important. That's when he was offered a big million-dollar deal, a company merger with Lot co., a company that specializes in acquiring residential home property zones. The goal of the merger if done correctly would allow for the country's biggest shopping mall with the latest tech and a projection of making 300 times return on investment within the first 5 years of opening.

John knew that this was the opportunity he had been waiting for, the chance to finally achieve his dreams and make a real impact. He took the deal, knowing that it would give him the money and success he needed to fund his sustainable housing projects. He was filled with a sense of excitement and determination as he worked to close the deal and make it a success. He spent months working on the merger, negotiating contracts, and closing deals. He put all of his energy into making the merger a success, and it paid off. The merger was a huge success, and John was hailed as a hero within the company.

Act 3:

John was congratulated by his colleagues and loved ones for his success. He was showered with praise and accolades, and he was given a seat on the company's board of directors. He was finally living the life he had always dreamed of. He had the money and success he had always wanted, and he was able to fund his sustainable housing projects. But despite all of this, he couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that had been growing inside of him.

He realized that in his pursuit of money and success, he had lost sight of his true goals and aspirations. He had started building houses and now, as he looked for funding, he realized that he had lost five years of his life chasing after a higher budget. He couldn't believe that the merger he had closed was built on the acquisition of residential homes, the opposite of what he had always wanted to achieve. He felt like he had lost his way, and he couldn't shake the feeling that his life had gone completely wrong. Discouraged, John knew he had to make a change.

He quit his job, walking out of the building he sees the buildings of bustling New York, now intimidated by its scale, feeling lost and insignificant even with his success in the corporate world. He takes one last look, a deep breath, and calls a cab to start his journey, hoping it's only up from here. He knew that he needed to find his true purpose and make a real difference in the world, and he was determined to do just that. The story ends with John setting out on a new path, with the hope of finding his true calling after so much lost time.

January 15, 2023 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

David Weller
03:12 Jan 28, 2023

Hi Cymon, I think you have a great character arc. John starts with a goal, makes a plan, and follows through with it. There are twists and turns in the story. I want to know what happens to John after the end of the story. My advice for improving it would be to "show, don't tell." For instance, this: John's passion for sustainable housing was not just limited to the physical structure of the homes, but also the community they would create. Could become something like: "We could build these houses, and when we do, we can make them affor...

Reply

Cymon Catalano
03:01 Jan 31, 2023

Thanks for the input, and now that you mention it I'm already thinking of ways I can try to adapt this advice Into my story. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cymon Catalano
18:46 Jan 21, 2023

Please leave feedback on what worked and ways I can improve, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.