After Hours

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Teens & Young Adult Suspense

Two teen age boy's decided to stay in the library, after hour's to see if anything happens. Little did they know stuff does. The time is 9 o'clock the janitor is finishing his duties up. The two boy's thought for sure they was going to be caught. The janitor seems a little spooked, so he works as fast as he can to finish so he can leave.

The janitor finally finish's with his duties, put his equipment in the closet . The first teenager John looks over at the second teenager. Bill and lets out a sigh. John whispers to Bill.

 ( Bill I think we are going to be able to stay. The janitor knows nothing.)

 John quietly chuckles. Bill shakes his head yes. Mean while the janitor lock's up for the night. John and Bill come out from their hiding spot. John looks at Bill saying. 

John:(what should we do first?)

Bill ( Man i don't know. What is suppose to happen?)

 John looks around as he stands there, still shocked that they made it this far. Looks at Bill and says.

John: ( Actually I am not exactly sure, what is supposed to happen. But i did over hear our teacher saying, that late at night in this library. There is a bright light with stuff running around at night.)

 Bill and John sat and waited for hour's and hour's. Just waiting for something anything to happen. They want to brag to their friend's at school. That they was here witnessed it for themself. Slowly Bill and John drifted off to sleep, trying as hard as they can to stay awake. 

Losing the fight they fell asleep when out of no where. John's alarm on his watch went off. The boy's wake up looking at each other. John shuts his watch alarm off.

John: ( I did not set a alarm on my watch.)

Bill: ( If you did not do it? Who did because I did, not do it you world have felt it if I did.)

 The boys look at each other with a look of fear. Then all the stories rush into their heads, of the library being haunted. A light appears from under a door. At them bottom part of the library, where the boys are sitting. In a completely dark library the boys, look at each other wanting to run. The fear inside the boys make them to scared to move. 

They try to scream but nothing comes out. Of their mouth both shacking like a leaf. Then they hear a deep voice, come from the direction of the light as the door opens saying.

The voice: ( So you think it is funny to stay in a library after hour's. Trying to get a good story for, your friend's to make you look good? Yes I heard everything you two said.)

John so shook up starts to stutter (I. I. I.) Then finds his courage and says.

John: ( I am John my friend and I just heard stuff happens. Here at night we just wanted to see. If what we heard was true or not? Who are you if you do not mind me asking?)

 The voice: ( I am that which you fear. I am that which you cower from in the dark. I am that which you ask your mom to ,look under you bed for. I am that which is in between the dark and the light. I am what you call the Boogieman.)

 John ( You have got to be kidding me. We stopped believing in the boogieman a long time ago.)

Boogieman ( oh really?)

 The light in the door way slowly fades away. The books on the shelve start to shake. Lights start to flicker the boy's hold on to each, other shaking starting to cry a little bit. But they find the courage to run up the stairs. They run straight to the front door to try to unlock, it the lock wont move. 

John picks up a chair to try to smash a window out. The window wont break. Both the boys stand there shaking, looking down the stairs. They hear in the darkness stomping ,coming up the stairs slowly with a laugh. That is so demonic it makes your blood run cold.

 With a fear that run's through you, like you are standing there frozen in time. All the boys can do is stand there in pure fear, as the boogieman inch's closer and closer. To them both the boy's have tear's running down their face's. They was in so much fear they could not  almost breath.

 John say's to Bill: ( I love you brother.)

Bill say's to John: ( I love you to brother. If this is the end at least, we go together.)

 Out of no where the stomping and laughing stop's the lights flash on. The boy's stand there stunned, not knowing what is going on. Looking at each other at that moment. The main door to the library opens with the librarian walking in. They boy's screamed with joy looking at the  librarian. 

Librarian: ( Boys what on earth are you doing in here, at four in the morning?)

John: ( We just came here to see if the stories ,about the library are true or not.)

Librarian: ( Well you i could have just told you. That the stories was true. I would not lie about them I worked here all my life. Now you two better run on home now.)

John: ( yes mama.)

Overjoyed to be leave John and Bill start walking toward. The door they start to feel as if something is not right. John looks back at the librarian sees, that she has a smile on her face. He can not figure out as to why. Could it be because they found out the truth. Or could it be because she caught, them in the library after hour's. 

Bill looks at John and say.

Bill: (Hey man cheer up we are out of here. When we get to school everyone will, want to here what we have to say.)

 John chuckle's.

John: ( Yea man it will get wild. We will be popular.)

Later that night as John lay's in his bed, nice comfy and safe he still can not shake the feeling. That something is not right why was the librarian smiling at them. When they left and how did they even get out of there with now trouble. John thought for sure that they was goners. John also could not figure out why the Boogieman, gave up so easily and not rip them apart.

The next day John goes off to school still thinking about the library. On the way to school he looks out the bus window. Seeing the library as they pass by. The librarian is looking out the window, waving to him as the bus goes by. John looks away from the window sitting. In his seat having flashes of last night in his head. Bill plops down in the seat look's at John say.

Bill: (Hey man you okay?)

 John look's at Bill says

John: ( Man no I am not okay at all. I am seeing stuff I have a bad feeling all the time. Plus the Librarian man she did, not call my mom saying I was there. I would have loved to take getting grounded over all of this.)

Bill :( Calm down man we got away with it. Plus we have a story to tell everyone. We are going to be so popular now, just take all that as a win. Let this other stuff go man.)

John: ( I hope you are right about this.)

After the bus ride that seemed to take forever. They arrive at the school. Everyone heads to the lockers grabs what they need for class. Soon everyone stops mingling in the hallway departing to class. John and Bill have pretty much every class together. 

So they sit in the back of every class so they can talk. John sits in the back corner of every class. Bill joins him the teacher starts class ,John gets that feeling again like something is wrong. But this time with the feeling, he suddenly gets weak wanting to go to sleep. John try’s fighting the erg by shaking his legs plus taping his pencil. Bill looks over at John saying.

Bill: ( John. John you all right? You trying to get the teacher mad all ready.)

John looks over at Bill saying

John:( No!!! I am not all right, I need some sleep OK!!!!!)

With a crazy look in his eyes. John gets up starts walking to the front of the class room. The teacher sees John coming to the front of the class. The teacher looks over at John saying

Teacher:( John is everything fine. Do you need some assistance with something?)

Still with the crazy look in his eyes. John walks to the teacher looks at her desk bends down towards. Her grabs the stapler draws back, slapping her across the face with it. John turns around to the rest of the class. Looking at every one Bill in shock just seeing what his best friend just did. Notices something very odd about him in the way his face is thinking to himself .

Bill Thinking :( This is not John not the John i know.)

Everyone else in the class jumps up from their desk runs for the door. Bill still sitting there looking at John. They both staring each other, down for what seems like forever. Then John goes completely mad leaping, out a second story window. Before Bill can say anything Bill, gets up from his desk run's down the hall. 

Run's as fast as he can down the stair's, out the front door looking for his best friend. To see if he is laying on the side walk hurt. But John is no where to be found. Bill is trying to peace together what just happened. With John has been saying nothing adds up at all.

 The only thing Bill can do is return to the library. To see if the librarian can help him in some way. A few hour's later after the cops leave the school. With all the kids from Bill's class questioned. About what happened the principle let the school out early. 

 Bill decided to walk home so he could stop at the library. After a long walk in the cool afternoon. Bill finally arrives at the library but it closed early. Bill know that this is not right the library does not ever close early. Even in the bad winter's they have they do not ever close.

Bill takes a walk around the library to see if any one is inside. That he could try to get help from. But there is no one to be found Bill try's to figure out what to do. He sits on the steps to the library to try to  peace together. Everything that has happened the last couple of days.

After a brief sit Bill decides to just go to John's house. To see if he was there so they could peace it, together with both of their mind's. Taking the journey to John's house Bill played every scenario in his head. Of what John's parent's would say ,or if the cop's was still there. By the time Bill got to John's it was late afternoon. Even though they lived next door to each other. Bill still had to go to his house to check in. After telling his parent's everything that had gone, on the past day and a half Bill's mom said.

Bills Mom: ( Bill you need to go next door, and tell John's mom everything right now!!!!!!)

Bill gets up from the couch walk's to the door. Look's at his parent's sees his dad hugging ,his mom as she is crying his dad saying.

Bills Dad: ( We beat him before we can beat him again.)

Bill stumped as to what his dad said opens. The door walks out on his way to John's the sun is dipping down. Turning into night when out of the bushes spring a girl tackling Bill. He looks up to see his friend Jenifer as she starts to say 

Jenifer:( Bill I been doing some research on the library. You two are nuts for staying in there last night. What were you guys thinking and where is John?)

Bill: ( Well that is a good question? I have no idea where he is.)

 Jenifer: ( Well we need to get him back to the library. Like now before the full moon tonight.)

Bill: ( Why? What's going on then?) 

Jenifer: ( John is in serious trouble. You two stumbled on something , that you should not have.)

Bill: ( Like what?)

Jenifer: ( Back in the late Eighteen hundreds there was, a guy that was into black magic.)

Bill: ( Black magic?)

As Jenifer explains that John got taken over. By a guy that done black magic while they are walking. To the library Bill notices that John is sitting under a street light. Bill stops in his tracks Jenifer looks at Bill. Then looks in the direction where Bill is.

Jenifer: ( We need to get him to the library so we can end this.)

Bill: ( Let me see if he will talk to me.)

Bill slowly walks up to John Bill sees that John. Is fighting as hard as he can to control what is going on with him.

Bill: ( John buddy you good man?)

John: ( Please leave me be, I don’t want to hurt you to.)

Bill: ( Man I have someone over there that can help you.)

John: ( Help me how?)

 Bill: ( We need to get you back to the library, from there we will get it figured out.)

John: ( Okay lets give it a try.)

Bill and John walk back over to Jenifer, all three start walking to the library. With moon starting to rise they walk through the door to the library.John collapses on the floor to weak to stand. Jenifer rushes to the locked book self smashes the glass. Grabs the book that says DO NOT READ.

She run back over to John as she flips to the, middle of the book and start to read from it. As Jenifer is reading John start to scream in pain the book shelve are shaking. The room grows dark and cold a light starts to rise from John. Jenifer continues reading Bill start screaming.

Bill:( Stop your killing him!)

 Jenifer not phased by what Bill said suddenly great roar. Comes from John the building and everything it is shaking. John starts to scream.

John: ( Make it leave. Please!!!! )

After two hours of reading the same passage, over and over a blast of energy. Shoot from John out across the library all the lights in the library. Come on everything stops shaking John falls to the floor with a sigh of relief.

Jenifer: ( See no one ever listens.)

Jenifer closes the book puts it in her bag zips it up. Looks at John and Bill saying

Jenifer: ( Have you two learned your lesson?)

Bill: ( Yes we have. By the way what did, you mean no one ever listens?)

Jenifer: ( I have told everyone that comes to this library. That it is haunted by a guy that did black magic.)

Bill: ( What happens now? He is still here is he not?)

Jenifer: ( For right now he is not the passage, I just read banished him for a while. But his will is strong he will be back.)

 John starts to move on the floor Bill looks at him saying.

Bill: ( John you good buddy?)

 John: ( Yes I am for now but I definitely need a good night sleep.)

Bill: ( Well lets get out of here. We have a lot to talk about plus the cops are looking for you. Oh your probably suspended from school for a while.)

John looks at Bill with a look of shock gets up. All three start to head for the front door. They all turn to take one last, look at the library as they leave. As they are walking down the street, John stops for a brief second. Turns giving the library one finial look . Turns back around to his friends saying.

John: ( That is the last time I ever go to a library. After Hours or at any other time.)

All three laugh as they head back home.   

April 26, 2021 22:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.