The Song of the Air Above

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write a story from the perspective of a bird migrating for the winter.... view prompt

16 comments

Fiction

It is cold here. The air is thin and tastes of clouds.


The gusts of wind guide me, rustling through my feathers with a familiar tickle. It is both alarming and comforting, knowing that the closest thing to me is the air.


The air is the thing that knows me best, better than the brief warmth of Mother’s nest full of hatchlings, better than the bark of the trees that I have touched, better than the sunlight and the rain that has fallen on me. No, it is the air that leads me, that fills my wings, that brings me to New Home. It is the air that I trust above all.


I am new to this world and the things in it. The world that I have known, the world of the nest that held us as we hatchlings grew, the world of finding my flight in the Falling, that world is over. This world is full of cold, full to the brim with stars and clouds and silence. This world is full of aching wings and of haunting, open freedom. I am overflowing with a life that I have not known before.


We travel together, Mother and I. There are others with us, others I did not know until we began the Journey. We travel in silence, and I hear only the whistle of the wind and the sounds of my breath, familiar and fast, the sound of the air entering my lungs and leaving me, knowing me more deeply than I will ever know myself. I am losing myself in the air, in the cold, in the dim curve of the horizon skimmed with clouds. I am losing the weight of the world before.


The world before. Old Home. I remember with a shudder fighting my way free from the fluid and the unyielding shell. The helplessness of screaming for food, of not knowing when Mother would bring it. The chill of the air on my bare skin before my feathers grew in, my feathers which are proud and strong and the color of storm-clouds. I remember the warmth of the other hatchlings. We started as four. Four hatchlings, defenseless from the chill of the air, from the dangers of Old Home. Mother, being only one, could not protect us all.


Mother signals to me that we are heading Down. I am glad for the warmth as we descend, for the refreshing mist of clouds thick with coming rain rolling off my beak and my feathers. It is easier to breathe, but the air is heavy here. The world is heavy, I think. I wish to be light forever, but this cannot be. The world is heavy, but the world is where we eat and drink and sleep and nest. That is why we go Down.


From the safety of the cloud, the wind no longer whistles in my ear. I call out to Mother, my burning question muffled in the density of the mist.


“Is this New Home?”


“No,” she replies over her wing. “Just a Stop on the Journey.”


A Stop, I repeat to myself. I wonder what is waiting for me beneath the clouds. There is a sudden fear that grips me, and the memory of a dark night and a sharp claw and a great loss. A memory of the sudden chill of being alone. Mother told me that the world is not always like that, but I am not sure that I believe her. The world is heavy.


We continue our descent, and the clouds grow thicker and thicker until I am drenched in unfallen rain and it is hard to breathe the laden air. I realize that I cannot see Mother, and suddenly I cannot breathe at all. Keep flying, keep going Down, I tell myself. But the air is tight around me and my feathers are heavy, and I am forgetting what it means to be light. My heart pounds, my eyes fill with darkness and I am forgetting, forgetting, forgetting…


Just when I feel that I cannot continue, I break free from the cloud. I breathe, finally, looking frantically for Mother, and there she is, still going Down a short distance ahead of me, following the others. And past them, the world. The Stop. There is not much green here. I see leafless trees, their branches bared to the wind. There is water, a thin dark stream that winds among the trees, glinting here and there with the little light that peeks through the clouds. The grass is dead or dying and the air has a tight chill to it, unlike the freeing, ringing cold of the air above.


We descend to rest amongst the empty branches of the trees. We eat what little we can find: some surviving insects moving slowly in the chill, fallen grass-seeds that taste of stale earth. We drink and wash in the stream, its dark current glinting, smiling at us with the knowledge of death, of life, and of the indifference of time. I am glad to rest my wings, which have not stopped trembling since that moment in the cloud. But I do not want to stay here long, because the world is heavy.


Mother and I sit beside each other on the thin branch of a leafless oak, our bodies pressed together for warmth. Her heartbeat is fast and steady, like mine. I rest my head against her wing and remember.


There were four of us once, when I was almost to young to appreciate what it meant to be Together. The days were hot and full of stretching and climbing and crying out for food. Mother was never fast enough for us when there were four.


There was a morning when I woke and one was gone. The nest was roomier, but now had a slight chill to it that taught me of loss. Mother said one of us Fell too early. I was too young to really understand; I had no feathers yet and thought only of warmth and food. But now I understand, and I sometimes think of the cold of the ground on her bare skin, the height of the Fall, the terror of not having feathers for flight.


When she had only us three, Mother was careful. She told us to stay away from the Edge, to keep each other close. To keep quiet. But we were hungry and prideful of our new down feathers, and Mother was foraging, and the tree was listening. I was asleep when it happened, until the sharp strike of a claw against my back woke me. There was the grating of coarse fur on my beak as the creature left, taking two with him. And I was alone, all alone to wonder why I was left to live, and they were not.


When Mother came back that day, she said nothing. We spent that night pressed close to each other, unable to rest in the silence.


“Child, you should sleep,” Mother says, drawing me away from the memory. Her voice is filled with the sorrow of time and the song of the air above.


“Mother?”


“Yes?”


“What is New Home like?”


She is quiet for a long time. “In some ways, New Home is like Old Home. There will be trees and singing and sunlight. We will eat and drink and sleep and nest. But New Home will always be warm. The air will be light and fresh, and we will be happy.”


“And we will be together?” I ask, closing my eyes to picture it.


“And we will be together, we two.”


I smile at the thought, and drift into sleep.

October 14, 2020 01:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Tempest Wright
20:18 Oct 27, 2020

You have an amazing talent for description and imagery. I love how you describe the brilliance of flying, how you foreshadow the loss and also I love how near the end, this vast description of flight and fear turns into emotion. You write beautifully!!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
21:21 Oct 27, 2020

Hi Tempest, thank you so much for your comment! You made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
03:41 Oct 19, 2020

This is just beautifully written. You have a wonderfully descriptive voice, full of such rich imagery. This line blew me away: "We drink and wash in the stream, its dark current glinting, smiling at us with the knowledge of death, of life, and of the indifference of time." I'm very excited to keep reading your work. You have a talent.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
03:52 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you so much for your comment, Lina, you made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
20:48 Mar 09, 2021

Your writing is so poetic I feel ill-equipped to give good feedback. I grew up in a small town in Maryland and my back yard was a large field. We used to play all sorts of games there, my friends and I, and when we were tired we would lay in the grass and look at the sky. I remember vividly seeing birds in perfect formation flying south for the winter. I was always fascinated by the sight. How did these creatures know where to go? Why did they go together? Why were they in a V formation. My friends and I wouldn't talk about it. Litt...

Reply

Claire Lindsey
21:46 Mar 09, 2021

I always feel the most confident writing stories that combine poetry and prose, at least a little. Several of my stories stem from poems or vice versa. I’m glad that comes across in this piece, and that it reminded you of watching birds as a child. When I was young I liked to climb the smaller trees that swayed a bit in the wind and imagine I was a bird haha. I’m excited to read your first-ever story!

Reply

Thom With An H
21:49 Mar 09, 2021

Flight draws us all. It is God's way of explaining freedom. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lani Lane
22:49 Oct 18, 2020

I just LOVE reading all the stories from this prompt! You have such beautiful descriptions throughout this piece, it almost reads like a poem. :) I agree with A.g.--I really love the capitalizations! A tinyyyyy suggestion: “No,” she replies over her wing. “Just a stop on the Journey.” A Stop, I repeat to myself. I think Stop should be capitalized both times here. :) Excellent, beautiful work, Claire! Another amazing story!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
03:57 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Leilani, I so appreciate your comments, they always make me smile! I will see if I can go back and make the edit you suggested. Thank you for the read!

Reply

Lani Lane
14:38 Oct 20, 2020

Of course!! Ahh, I see you've written another new story! Can't wait to read! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evan Rocker
00:12 Oct 23, 2020

Beautiful descriptions. My favorite one is "The air is thin and tastes of clouds." I have lived in a cold climate for most of my life and this is an awesome sentence! Great work!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:16 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you so much for the read and the kind comment, Evan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:48 Oct 15, 2020

Wow. I ❤ this one!! The imagery is so perfect. As a reader, I felt as if I was being "led down a smooth path" throughout, phrase by phrase, all the way to the end, which was also perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if you won this week. Great story!!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
13:12 Oct 15, 2020

Hi Cynthia, thank you so much! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this story, it was a lot of fun to write!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:04 Oct 14, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Claire Lindsey
03:19 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you for your comments, I’ll make that edit now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.